Binding for regular Spitfire didn't translate on Clipped Wing

Hunter Joker

Hi, I have a really strange problem, I reinstalled my Pc recently and then remapped the controls for the Spitfire. Before the reinstall all goes well for regular and clipped wing version, now the regular version work perfectly but if I load a mission (for example the quick one vs A8 on the Channel map ) with the CW version the control didn't respond and if I go in the setup all the fields are empty.
Close DCS, restart and if I choose the regular version the control are ok, if I choose then CW version...same problem....

Pls Help cause I'm goign mad...

Thx.

It's an old problem, the same as with D-25 and D-30 Mustangs.

Make sure you've got two control folders in your Saved Games\.....\Input location for each Spit variant. One should be called "SpitfireLFMkIX", the other "SpitfireLFMkIXCW". If any of these wasn't created when you reinstalled the game, create it manually and fill it with content copied from the other (apart from the name they have to be the same). 

That should do it. 

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

10 hours ago, Art-J said:

It's an old problem, the same as with D-25 and D-30 Mustangs.

Make sure you've got two control folders in your Saved Games\.....\Input location for each Spit variant. One should be called "SpitfireLFMkIX", the other "SpitfireLFMkIXCW". If any of these wasn't created when you reinstalled the game, create it manually and fill it with content copied from the other (apart from the name they have to be the same). 

That should do it. 

I will try, thx.

Hi. Either I'm missing something or there's one obvious bug.
On one hand, you (or I at least) only have one Spit in the drop-down list in Controls window - see the picture.
On the other hand, I have two folders for the Spit in Saved Games\Config\Input - another picture below.

How can DCS know which Spit I have in mind when I'm assigning new bindings, if I have a common "category" for both of them in the Controls menu, while there are separate destination folders for each?

This very thing must be a bug. There should be TWO categories: "Spitfire LF Mk IX Sim" and "Spitfire LF Mk IX CW Sim" (or something like this).

I have never modified files in these folders manually, but... the contents in each are different. Files differ and have different modification dates (different between the two folders, but identical for all files in each). In both folders file contents are credible (no garbage) and it looks like I was tweaking axes sensitivities, adding new joystick bindings etc.
I DID have problems when my settings from the clipped version didn't work in the non-clipped version and/or vice versa. I had these problems only sometimes, not every time.

My blind guess: the destination folder for clipped/non-clipped version is selected appropriately when I am or was flying a specific version, but when I haven't flown any since DCS start, it falls back to some "default" folder (one or another, depending on how the code is written). Or something of this sort.

P.S. I think there should be two Spit versions (clipped/non-clipped) in the Controls window and not one common folder in \Config\Input instead, because people may want to have different sensitivity for example for roll axis.... e.g. more sensitive for non-clipped (the "lazy" Spit), less sensitive for clipped (the "impetuous" Spit).

controls_menu.png

folders.png

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Small appendix:

I can't pinpoint it now - no matter what I'm doing, my new bindings always land only in the "SpitfireLFMxIX" folder (not "CW").

However... a small piece of evidence that SOMETIMES DCS chooses the "CW" folder instead:

I bought the Spit on 10/31/2020 and files in the SpitfireLFMkIXCW (this time "CW") have identical modif. date: 07/25/2021 20:21:44 (waay after the purchase). One of the files contains, for example, a very specific binding for my homemade button/pot box:

["a3039cd1"] = {
            ["added"] = {
                [1] = {
                    ["key"] = "JOY_RX",
                },
            },
            ["name"] = "Altimeter Pressure Set (analog)",
        },

so it's clearly NOT a default binding. I remember doing it as an experiment, this binding can only be found in the "CW" folder, so... DCS picked "CW" folder on that specific day, while it seems to normally "prefer" non-clipped Spit folder... or at least it consistently chooses this one today.

Anyways, it only proves the folder selection mechanism is somewhat erratic and this is, I guess, when people experience problems - one day DCS selected folder "X", the player makes bindings. Then, on other occassion, DCS selected folder "Y" where these bindings don't exist and the user says "WT... my bindigns are gone!". Must be something of this sort.

Anyway, it doesn't matter much - the main problem is that there should be two categories in "Controls" window - one for non-clipped, one for clipped. Then all problems should go away.

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue here: the CW and normal spit don't have the same controls bound, and in the drop-down menu of the controls there's only 1 spitfire, forcing me to re-bind everything a second time once inside the CW's cockpit

Edited by TJpek

In my case the assignments that did not get carried over to the CW were:

-Cougar MFD button assignments

-Joystick pitch deadzone and curve

Every other assignment carried over from the vanilla Spit. Then when going back to the vanilla Spit after flying the CW, the above assignments were gone from the vanilla Spit too.

• 4 weeks later...

Happened again, this time binding the clipped wing then transitioning to the regular Spit:

Clipped Wing: Changed bomb release HOTAS assignment while in-game.

Regular Spit: Some days later while flying I pessed my new bomb release button and nothing happened. Checked controls, and it had not been updated to match the Clipped Wing assignment.

Another user has the same issue, posted in general DCS bugs:

Edited by Nealius

There is clearly an issue. I don't generally fly the Spit and I had never before today flown a mission in the CW version, but got curious when I saw this thread.

Status this morning: I had no folder for the CW under "C:\Users\hans\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\".
I created a mission for the CW and flew it a couple of times. Everything worked fine. I actually added a binding during the mission. When I exited DCS World there was still no folder under "C:\Users\hans\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\".

Tonight:
I started DCS World OB and launched the mission with the CW, and found I had no control over the aircraft. It turned out I had no commands bound except the defaults.
I bound some axes so I could at least fly the thing, and oops! Now I have the folder "C:\Users\hans\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\SpitfireLFMkIXCW".
I was too lazy to re-create all the bindings for the CW, so I copied the "....diff.lua" files from "C:\Users\hans\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\SpitfireLFMkIX" to "C:\Users\hans\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\SpitfireLFMkIXCW", and that works just fine.

Conclusion:
There is inconsistent behaviour and I cannot see any logic that would explain why this morning I could fly the CW version but tonight it had no bindings except defaults.
It's inconsistent and that may explain why some people have not seen the issue. Even if there is a hidden logic that developers understand, it should be reported as a bug. It could be very easily fixed. When you first fly the CW the software should copy the files as I did manually.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5