VR issue

Gourmand

I am new to DCS, Flight Sim and VR (Quest 2 with cable link).  Having an issue with resolution - not good. Started first 3-4 flights as outstanding (I'm hooked) now its unacceptable. Any advise on optimization of settings for DCS, Oculus, and AMD GPU?  I have tried several setting changes from this forum and from other sources to no avail. I am not a gamer or computer science major so any advise at the newbie, step-by-step level would be appreciated.  Dell - G5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - 144Hz - AMD Ryzen 9 4900H - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 5600M

Here's VR subforum:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/302-virtual-reality/

Your gfx card is barely minimum for the headset - so either low fps with higher resolultion or higher fps with lower resolution. What's you current PD setting on DCS options VR tab? In the DCS options System tab you can use Low or VR preset for starters. Have you changed PD in Oculus software? What do you mean "not good"? Unreadable cockpit or what? You should be aware that even the greatest VR headsets on best PCs are not even close to clarity and performance of simple monitor setup.

You could try some shader mods for VR.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 8/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, Gourmand said:

I am new to DCS, Flight Sim and VR (Quest 2 with cable link).  Having an issue with resolution - not good. Started first 3-4 flights as outstanding (I'm hooked) now its unacceptable. Any advise on optimization of settings for DCS, Oculus, and AMD GPU?  I have tried several setting changes from this forum and from other sources to no avail. I am not a gamer or computer science major so any advise at the newbie, step-by-step level would be appreciated.  Dell - G5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - 144Hz - AMD Ryzen 9 4900H - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 5600M

I can't offer any help but just wanted to say Welcome to the VR Addiction we are all suffering from that use VR to Fly this Simulator. It's Just so Awesome to experience and understand This is the Highest Quality VR Experience around. Dreams come to real pretend life.

On 8/16/2021 at 2:59 AM, draconus said:

Here's VR subforum:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/302-virtual-reality/

Your gfx card is barely minimum for the headset - so either low fps with higher resolultion or higher fps with lower resolution. What's you current PD setting on DCS options VR tab? In the DCS options System tab you can use Low or VR preset for starters. Have you changed PD in Oculus software? What do you mean "not good"? Unreadable cockpit or what? You should be aware that even the greatest VR headsets on best PCs are not even close to clarity and performance of simple monitor setup.

You could try some shader mods for VR.

I had PD set at .5 (a recommendation from someone), What do you recommend for PD in DCS VR tab? What do you recommend for PD in Oculus software?  Not good defined: outside of cockpit graphics appear simple with no detail, blocky, and clear up somewhat when very near. Overall graphic resolution is equivalent to a videogame from 1987.  In cockpit is somewhat out of focus and zoom must be used to read anything. The part that is frustrating , as I stated earlier, is that the first 3-4 flights were unbelievably clear.  Could an update have affected settings?  What shader mods are you referring to? Again, I am new to this - is there a reference somewhere I could try?  Thank you for your reply and any assistance you can provide

@Gourmand Check out these guides here: https://vr4dcs.com/

Generally the expectations you described for VR can only be met with higher performing hardware like draconus pointed out. The better your hardware is, the more you can crank up the resolution and game settings for better clarity. Many use the HP Reverb G2 without the need to zoom in or move closer to read something in the cockpit.

With better settings you can get something like this:

If you want to get better hardware, the best and cheapest way is to build your own PC.

Did you have a PD Setting of 0.5 in your first 4 flights as well? Do you use Oculus VR or Steam VR to run DCS?

I dont know if there is a resolution or PD setting in the oculus software, but steam vr has a resolution slider, which can be increased for better visual quality.

Try to increase your PD Setting in DCS to 1.0 first and see if it looks better. Could heavily impact your fps though.

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

It’s true it’s about the hardware. I heard about all the great updates that was coming down the rail from E D about 10 months ago and I was on a i9-9700K @4.5ghz and a rtx2080 Super running mid setting with the G2. Looked like scotch tape on the lense could find the clarity. When I upgraded to an i9-10900K @4.9-5.0 ghz and a 3090 made a world of deference honestly. I’m now running high settings in both game and steamvr “ with speed of heats guide” the clarity has now settled in. Also vroptician lenses made a big change too.

The clouds was the only disappointment. But I can live with it. If possible get a 3090 and let her rip.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 8/21/2021 at 7:04 PM, Gourmand said:

I had PD set at .5

That's pretty low so the resolution you get is understandable. I'd start with 1.0 and only go higher if fps count is acceptable.

I personally don't use shadermod and run with Oculus default settings.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

You better start with PD 1.0, the VR preset settings of DCS and Oculus resolution initially at 75 hz and default. Then you play accordingly 

As said earlier https://vr4dcs.com/ is a great place to get info/help.

Also check 

for the PC setup/optimisation

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

The optimal settings depend on what you prefer (fluid flying vs good looks).

Obviously: turning down settings will give better performance, increasing settings will improve visual quality.

And there is also a choice to make between resolution and 'aliasing'. -> the higher the resolution (DCS: Pixel Density), the less need there is for anti-aliasing (DCS: MSAA).

I personally prefer a PD of 1.7 (with GTX 3070 graphics card) versus PD 1.3 with MSAA 2x.

I wouldn't spent my time on NVidia settings and VR settings outside DCS> DCS overwrites it all.

Things that will help whatever your settings are:

FSR: https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr This will give you a higher frame rate without changing settings

You can tune the config file (sharpness, debug mode and fsr area)

Reshade mod: https://reshade.me/

(better visuals without increasing the visual settings -> more bang for your bugs)

Regardless general remarks on the internet: a modern CPU is bored during gameplay. Memory....not interesting if you have an SSD drive, GPU is the limiting factor.

One could also say that some software design issues are the limiting factor, but that is not for you to fix.
(network delay interrupts frame generation, access violation (bug) causes frame rate to drop and never recover).

Don't trust the FPS numbers in DCS (enable by CTRL-pause). Trust your eyes

Finally: the more object (planes, cars...) in your mission, the worse the performance. Multiplayer will reduce performance.

• Like 3

I really suggest moving this to the VR forum. 🙂  But what do I know? 😄 

In short, if your rig is not top tier, like mine, you can only get 2 out of these 3: immersion, visual quality and smoothness.

Oh, welcome to the VR Addiction Club (tm)

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.