BLU-108 and wind

Ignition

3 hours ago, Ignition said:

You can change the altitude and it lowers the drift but it also reduces the covering area a lot.

It would be nice to have some word of ED about this. I also experience the same issue with JSOW.

JSOW objectively corrects for wind. It releases the bomblets upwind so when they drift down they will bracket the target. Key to GPS guided munitions and PB targets is to make sure the altitude of the target is correct in ME, elevation of target should be the same as the stpt altitude. Not doing this will introduce errors which will compound with wind.

14 hours ago, Sinclair_76 said:

JSOW objectively corrects for wind. It releases the bomblets upwind so when they drift down they will bracket the target. Key to GPS guided munitions and PB targets is to make sure the altitude of the target is correct in ME, elevation of target should be the same as the stpt altitude. Not doing this will introduce errors which will compound with wind.

Can you please stop repeating yourself, I know how to do missions, use tgp and weapons.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Sinclair_76 said:

It escaped me you were the same person. My apologies.

It's ok. I know the altitude is important and the angle of vision in the tgp thats why you never point to a vehicle directly unless you're using laser.

The JSOWs for me have a very random behavior. Sometimes they hit the target and sometimes they don't (I mean the target area no the actual vehicle impact). It's so unreliable for me that I'm starting to hate them. Sometimes I get 10/10 area impact and sometimes 2/10 (in Syria), I don't have this problem with any other weapon, well other than the CBU-105 but with this weapon at least I know 100% the BLU-108 will fail the impact area with some wind.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:01 AM, Sinclair_76 said:

Hi!

How the wind is known/measured by the system at burst height/altitude to be compensated?

15 hours ago, Frederf said:

Same way airplane knows it. JSOW is an airplane after all. Plus no reason why wind data isn't passed over 1553 before launch too.

My fault, I thought we were speaking about classic CBUs. 😉

I agree, with an IMU/GPS wind can be roughly calculated. However, transmitting wind data yep, but data must to be known prior to the flight and inserted manually (if this is existing?) A/C can maybe transmit the wind but only the one he knows which an instantaneous average wind on current position. A/C can't predict the wind at different altitude nor different locations (unless maybe fed manually through an interface that I don't know on F-16)

IIRC if you select 'SY' (avionics system) as Wind Source in SMS CNTL page, the system will use either the 'system measured method' or the 'system computed method' to estimate wind data. The other two options are MP (DTC loaded value) or PI (pilot entered value).

To use the system measured wind data method, the pilot must fly the aircraft within 20nm of the target and also 0 - 3000ft above the target in order for the system to obtain a valid measurement.

The system computed winds method may be used as an alternative. It measures the current wind at aircraft altitude and linearly extrapolates its speed down to the burst altitude. The Wind Quality assessment of this method is LOW, which means the handed-off wind speed will have less effect in the computations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

2 hours ago, LJQCN101 said:

IIRC if you select 'SY' (avionics system) as Wind Source in SMS CNTL page, the system will use either the 'system measured method' or the 'system computed method' to estimate wind data. The other two options are MP (DTC loaded value) or PI (pilot entered value).

To use the system measured wind data method, the pilot must fly the aircraft within 20nm of the target and also 0 - 3000ft above the target in order for the system to obtain a valid measurement.

The system computed winds method may be used as an alternative. It measures the current wind at aircraft altitude and linearly extrapolates its speed down to the burst altitude. The Wind Quality assessment of this method is LOW, which means the handed-off wind speed will have less effect in the computations.

Big thanks!