Hornet's Slow-State Energy Bleed?

wilbur81
Go to solution Solved by HWasp,

You don't need to pull the paddle to win in a D/F in the hornet. Don't fly it like the F-16. F-18 likes to be slow. So when the fast guys want's to accelerate just send a missile up their a**.

Btw: Jetstream is excellent!

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

The paddle/G lim override is intended to only be used for "Oh S... I need more to stop hitting the ground type events". You then get 33% more available G above the current limit for as long as you hold the paddle down.

Edited by IvanK

Hi, newby here.

Still learning (and I need to learn a lot!!), for now I turn and indeed slow down a lot when turning. Are there like rules of thumb like:

- speed to take with you into a battle (350+?)

- min speed you wish to maintain during a turn?

- more tips?

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

18 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

Hi, newby here.

Still learning (and I need to learn a lot!!), for now I turn and indeed slow down a lot when turning. Are there like rules of thumb like:

- speed to take with you into a battle (350+?)

- min speed you wish to maintain during a turn?

- more tips?

The Hornet's corner velocity is 360 knots (generally). This is the baseline for your two circle rate fight. get below 350-360 kts in a loaded turn and you will start to bled speed quite quickly, and it will be more difficult to regain that energy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

The Hornet's corner velocity is 360 knots (generally). This is the baseline for your two circle rate fight. get below 350-360 kts in a loaded turn and you will start to bled speed quite quickly, and it will be more difficult to regain that energy.

This is true. I rarely beat anyone in the Hornet (guns only) unless I go into the merge below 400kts.  In real life, the Hornet 'rules the roost,' 2nd only to 5th gen fighters, in the slow speed/high alpha fight for American jets (Lord, help us all when the Typhoon arrives in DCS 😮). Though, to your last point above, if you load up the video I've posted on the original post at the top of this thread and view starting at 08:19 through 10:42, the real Hornet does pretty darn well with its energy and nose authority below 300kts (I suspect a bit better than our current DCS flight model, though I think they're pretty darn close, amazingly so for a video game) as long as they keep the G's below 4.5/5g. Keep in mind, too, that the pilots flying in the video are extremely novice at BFM. You are correct, though... load up 5 or more G's below 350kts in the Hornet and you're going to be parked for quite some time.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Wags said in an interview some time ago that there were aspects of the Hornets slow speed handling that ED couldn't model. That might have something to do with what you are seeing.

Don't remember when or where it was.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

2 hours ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

Wags said in an interview some time ago that there were aspects of the Hornets slow speed handling that ED couldn't model. That might have something to do with what you are seeing.

Don't remember when or where it was.

They couldn't model?  You mean FCS? I'm pretty sure they can knock out pretty fancy aerodynamic model, if they wanted to.

That reminds me... in one of the builds, a while back the Hornet would fly like it had thrust vector nozzles, at just below 300. Then ED had to mess it up with realistic alpha and airspeed entry criteria into pirouette logic, damn... 

1 hour ago, Gripes323 said:

They couldn't model?  You mean FCS? I'm pretty sure they can knock out pretty fancy aerodynamic model, if they wanted to.

I don't think it was a question of whether they were CAPABLE, more whether they were ALLOWED by licensing restrictions.

2 hours ago, rob10 said:

I don't think it was a question of whether they were CAPABLE, more whether they were ALLOWED by licensing restrictions.

Just out of curiosity... I wonder how much they have to be off to create a gaming sim and not infringe on licensing issues ...  2kts/5'AOA or... :book:

Is it only for the bottom part of the flight envelope?

What do you guys think about the below quoted from the 23 July newsletter:

"We are also improving DCS: F/A-18C Hornet and look forward to sharing more details on the flight model improvements soon."?

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]