New Viggen Pilot

WinOrLose

I'm not a mad Swede but I have just bought the Viggen!!

Reading through Chucks and started watching a few youtube videos and this is making the tomcat look easy 😀

Look forward to seeing some of you in the skies, if I can work out how to take off!

45 minutes ago, WinOrLose said:

Reading through Chucks and started watching a few youtube videos

these are old, but still some of the best on the viggen:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Finally got round to firing up the jet yesterday and managed a take off and landing. 

Still getting my head round the quirks and the language barrier. However the AutomatisK Fart Kontroll is a new one on me. Is this part of the ventilation system 😂

• Like 1

A couple more questions after a few hours flying this weekend.

What is the safe speed to drop landing gear?

The manual suggests using auto throttle on approach - 550kph - then goes on to say it will also maintain correct AOA for landing. How do you get the plane to slow down if its trying to maintain 550? Do you need to turn it off and then back on after you slow down?

How do you change between nose wheel steering and rudder when on the ground?

Its a quirky plane for sure but somehow its reeling me in.

Complement the manual with Chuck’s Guide:

👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, WinOrLose said:

A couple more questions after a few hours flying this weekend.

The manual suggests using auto throttle on approach - 550kph - then goes on to say it will also maintain correct AOA for landing. How do you get the plane to slow down if its trying to maintain 550? Do you need to turn it off and then back on after you slow down?

Its a quirky plane for sure but somehow its reeling me in.

Max speed for the gear is 600 km/h (320 on the ground), but extend them at 550.

The AFK will keep 550km/h when the gear is retracted, and if you were to extend it it will slow down to whatever speed 12°/15,5° AoA is automatically.

NWS is always on, there's no way to turn it off.

Edited by MYSE1234
  • Like 3

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

3 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

As an addendum, this means you need to be very, very, very careful with your rudder pedals during landing and takeoff.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TLTeo said:

As an addendum, this means you need to be very, very, very careful with your rudder pedals during landing and takeoff.

Yes I almost found that out the hard way!!!! Is the best solution to add some curves or just get better?

6 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

Max speed for the gear is 600 km/h (320 on the ground), but extend them at 550.

The AFK will keep 550km/h when the gear is retracted, and if you were to extend it it will slow down to whatever speed 12°/15,5° AoA is automatically.

Thank you. 

Wow that's fast for the undercarriage - almost double other aircraft.

8 minutes ago, WinOrLose said:

Yes I almost found that out the hard way!!!! Is the best solution to add some curves or just get better?

Yes 😄 On a serious note, I have a curve set to 15 for every aircraft I fly (mostly because my rudder pedals are crappy), and I found that just a gentle tap in either direction works fine. Speaking of which, do NOT use differential breaking to change direction while moving at high speeds. That never, ever ends well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:07 PM, WinOrLose said:

Finally got round to firing up the jet yesterday and managed a take off and landing. 

Still getting my head round the quirks and the language barrier. However the AutomatisK Fart Kontroll is a new one on me. Is this part of the ventilation system 😂

Welcome to the lovely world of viggen 🙂 

Fart is speed in swedish 😉  I would assume people are amused driving in sweden and there is a sign to a mall area or similar that says "Infart" 😄  (Entrance to the area)

On 8/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, Johnny Johnny Johnny said:

Welcome to the lovely world of viggen 🙂 

Fart is speed in swedish 😉  I would assume people are amused driving in sweden and there is a sign to a mall area or similar that says "Infart" 😄  (Entrance to the area)

I remember something similar on German motorway junction exits as well..

4 hours ago, DarkStar79 said:

You can also steer the aircraft with the joystick when you land and take off. It’s really nice.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

What? Like with the roll axis? 

• Like 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

19 minutes ago, Machalot said:

What? Like with the roll axis? 

Yes, the roll axis and the rudder/yaw is linked, so you are able to steer the aircraft on the ground using the stick in the roll axis.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 8/21/2021 at 1:42 AM, Viking355th said:

Most aircraft can have their gear down at 250 kts or slower.  550 km/h is 297 kts, so it's a bit faster, but nowhere near double.

Yes you are right I was mentally converting back to MPH @ 350 and not knots. Been flying the sabre a bit recently which is 180 for gear down. 

10 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

Yes, the roll axis and the rudder/yaw is linked, so you are able to steer the aircraft on the ground using the stick in the roll axis.

Do you need to set this up in axis commands as this didn’t appear to work for me (slow speed on the pan). 

3 hours ago, WinOrLose said:

Do you need to set this up in axis commands as this didn’t appear to work for me (slow speed on the pan). 

No, it's just the roll axis for the stick. You do need some airspeed though for the rudder to become effective (it doesn't effect the nws, only the rudder), so you cant taxi using this "trick", but you can do fine adjustments when taking off with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 8/8/2021 at 10:47 AM, WinOrLose said:

Practicing landing on the road these days, so my memory is still quite fresh.

At about 10 km from the landing point, if you are still at 500 m AGL and at 550 km/h, it is okay to put the gears down. Once you have done this, the flaps will be automatically deployed and drag from both the gears and flaps will slow the plane down. Of course, starting to reduce the throttle while maintaining the AoA <= 12 degrees, speed above 260 km/h, and gliding angle as indicated on the HUD in visual landing mode.

Nose steering is automatic on.

Addition: an example video:

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.