HDD not recognized...

THERION

Hi all,

I just build my new system and now I have the problem that my HDD is not recognized correctly - I cannot boot the system,
I always get into the bios.

My motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-Plus

CPU: I5-11600K / LGA1200

RAM: Crucial 32 GB 3200

SSD: Samsung 970 EVOPlus

GPU: MSI 1070 8 GB

I updated the bios to newest release. Storage information show both drives, but the HDD, which is 1 TB is displayed as 2 TB.
The HDD is the one with my Windows 10 (up to date). And yes, it worked this morning and I was flying yesterday evening
without any issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Cheerio

25 minutes ago, THERION said:

I updated the bios to newest release. Storage information show both drives, but the HDD, which is 1 TB is displayed as 2 TB.
The HDD is the one with my Windows 10 (up to date).

Any ideas?

most likely, the system is trying to boot from the SSD instead of booting from the HDD. Check the boot order on the bios.

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

14 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

most likely, the system is trying to boot from the SSD instead of booting from the HDD. Check the boot order on the bios.

Yes, but the problem is I cannot change the booting order - it always tells me, that there is no booting device.

So you updated bios in a trial to fix the case or this caused the issue?

Have you tried changing boot type UEFI/legacy(bios)?

It can also mean HDD failure - worth checking.

You'll probably need Windows installation USB drive. If you don't have one - make one using Media Creation Tool. It will come with valuable console, tools and options. I guess you don't have IT guy around?

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hi all,

thank you for your reply, @Rudel_chw. I sorted it all out (puh!). My OS is actually on a spinning disc. As I said, it works perfectly on the old crate.

Now, for all of you building a new gen computer, your HDD (spinning device) might not be recognized correctly, although seen in the BIOS.
The main raison, especially in my case, I migrated from Win 7 to Win 10 on my old computer with that said HDD (1TB).

- The thing apparently is Win 7 does format resp. allocates the HDD differently as Win 10 would do with a brand new install.

- Thus, the HDD will not be recognized correctly on new gen motherboard, especially the ones designed to have SSD type of hard drives.

- I checked the BIOS again and enabled the compatibility mode to ensure old devices like my HDD will be recognized properly (legacy mode).

- After this change and a lot of praying, my HDD was finally recognized and my new rig booted correctly. What a journey!

Cheers

1 minute ago, draconus said:

I guess you don't have IT guy around?

Ehm, now what shall I say... I'm an IT guy, but it is my first build after 20 bloody years... a lot has changed since then. Now that I think of it,
I'm getting really old!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, THERION said:

Ehm, now what shall I say... I'm an IT guy, but it is my first build after 20 bloody years... a lot has changed since then. Now that I think of it,
I'm getting really old!

Yeah, you'd have to be in hw helpdesk to stay current. I faught whole yesterday to boot my cloned SSD :thumbup:

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

Yeah, you'd have to be in hw helpdesk to stay current. I faught whole yesterday to boot my cloned SSD :thumbup:

Yes, you are right - time goes by so quickly. I used to setup and run Novell OS servers, then moving to IBM OS server to end up finally with
Windows OS servers and desktop/notebooks. But at the end with all reorganizations survived, I ended up in 2nd/3rd level SW support for

the last 15 years...

Edited by THERION