TGP shuts off in flight after about 10 minutes/Right MFCD shuts off with CICU Caution light

Go to solution Solved by Yurgon,

Hello,

So I recently got the A10c2 and set up a hot start mission and some targets to get my muscle memory going with hotas commands and some mavericks. After my first pass of the target and coming back in my TGP shuts off with a warning in yellow (TGP not ready) and a caution advisory in the hud. After this I cannot get the tgp back on. I did a track but its 16mb so cannot link it. The flight before I also had my right mfcd shut off as well as the tgp. Another flight, I did a dtc load on the hot start thinking it may be that but that didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated. Did a cold start, everything was going well, however this time my right mfcd shuts off and I get a cicu caution light, I cannot get the right mfcd to come back on...tgp stayed working though with cold start.

Have you got failures activated?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

5 hours ago, Leg2ion said:

Have you got failures activated?

No, they are deactivated when I checked before bed, at least from the options menu, unless they were activated in the mission itself. I dont remember failures defaulting on when creating a quick training mission so ill have to go in the editor and see if thats even an option when I get home

Edited by sdirmitt

That sounds very random. Off the top of my head, I'm not aware of reasons for such things to happen, except when...

- specific failure conditions are set in the mission

- random failures are enforced ON in the mission

- random failures are on in the gameplay settings and not enforced OFF in the mission

In my squad, we fly with random failures enforced ON, and I've personally had maybe 2 or 3 cases of in-flight avionics failures like the ones you described in almost 5 years, and been present for an engine fire for one of my wingmen. What I'm trying to say is, the frequency of one failure every other flight or so is so extremely high, it doesn't sound like DCS's random failures; or if it was, now might be a good time for you to start playing the lottery. 😄

The best way to figure this out would be a track (if you still have tracks, you can upload them via Mediafire or Dropbox or Google Drive or whatever) or possibly a video.

Barring all of that, the next time such a thing happens, please make screenshots of the TGP, the HUD (if it has any error messages) and the caution light panel, possibly also the maintenance fault log (MFCD -> STAT -> MFL).

7 hours ago, Yurgon said:

That sounds very random. Off the top of my head, I'm not aware of reasons for such things to happen, except when...

- specific failure conditions are set in the mission

- random failures are enforced ON in the mission

- random failures are on in the gameplay settings and not enforced OFF in the mission

In my squad, we fly with random failures enforced ON, and I've personally had maybe 2 or 3 cases of in-flight avionics failures like the ones you described in almost 5 years, and been present for an engine fire for one of my wingmen. What I'm trying to say is, the frequency of one failure every other flight or so is so extremely high, it doesn't sound like DCS's random failures; or if it was, now might be a good time for you to start playing the lottery. 😄

The best way to figure this out would be a track (if you still have tracks, you can upload them via Mediafire or Dropbox or Google Drive or whatever) or possibly a video.

Barring all of that, the next time such a thing happens, please make screenshots of the TGP, the HUD (if it has any error messages) and the caution light panel, possibly also the maintenance fault log (MFCD -> STAT -> MFL).

Ok I got the tracks in my google drive, 2 different ones...one was hot start one cold https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qEV3a1rS5OZBxJ9774k5bNyAyv0_fxSH/view?usp=sharing and https://drive.google.com/file/d/187vJRXklfdSTNFy1W6m3v6DVStbwe0uM/view?usp=sharing I checked mission parameters and random failures are not on nor enforced and they are again not on in my options. It is probably something really stupid that I'm not doing. I haven't tried for the MFCD going out but that usually happens if I don't get the tgp failure.

Screen_210802_160527.png

After take off 11 minutes into flight, cold start....haven't even turned tgp on yet

Screen_210802_160818.png

Mission before, i was about to make a spi off point track and tgp shuts down, switch on still

Screen_210802_172132.png

Rt MFCD goes off in another flight, hot start...Caution panel and Stat page to follow...

Screen_210802_172200.png

Screen_210802_172204.png

Screen_210802_172312.png

Thanks for the tracks!

This is a weird one. When I load the tracks in the mission editor, it confirms that random failures are not enforced, and they show an empty failure properties panel for the single client aircraft.

I loaded them in the latest OpenBeta 2.7.4.9847

However, when opening the mission file from the .trk archive (which is really just a Zip archive) in a text editor, it includes all sorts of A-10C-specific failures, many of which are enabled, and that have a very high probability.

So it looks like the failures panel for the A-10C II Tank Killer module is not yet functional in the Mission Editor, but internally, these specific failures can be set and saved in a mission, and will be evaluated during the mission.

When I save the mission from the Mission Editor, the failures remain enabled.

So I really don't know why these failures would be enabled. But they are, internally in the mission, and that's why they happen.

Are these completely new and fresh missions that you built from scratch? Or did you copy them from older missions, maybe from A-10C (pre A-10C II) missions? Maybe the reason for the failures can be traced back to a root cause there.

Edited by Yurgon

39 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Thanks for the tracks!

This is a weird one. When I load the tracks in the mission editor, it confirms that random failures are not enforced, and they show an empty failure properties panel for the single client aircraft.

I loaded them in the latest OpenBeta 2.7.4.9847

However, when opening the mission file from the .trk archive (which is really just a Zip archive) in a text editor, it includes all sorts of A-10C-specific failures, many of which are enabled, and that have a very high probability.

So it looks like the failures panel for the A-10C II Tank Killer module is not yet functional in the Mission Editor, but internally, these specific failures can be set and saved in a mission, and will be evaluated during the mission.

When I save the mission from the Mission Editor, the failures remain enabled.

So I really don't know why these failures would be enabled. But they are, internally in the mission, and that's why they happen.

Are these completely new and fresh missions that you built from scratch? Or did you copy them from older missions, maybe from A-10C (pre A-10C II) missions? Maybe the reason for the failures can be traced back to a root cause there.

These missions I made from scratch about 2 days ago to learn the A10C2(never having flown the A10C_1)...i been working in the hoggit discord screensharing and we found the possible issue as after i did this, I could not reproduce the failures...I think it might be a bug introduced in mission editor for the A10C_2image.png

we discovered if you go under the plane spawn and hit that icon and hit clear, the faults no longer appear in the mission...i did a very quick test but its late and work comes early in the morning...but seems to be working ok now *shrug* ill have to see tomorrow. If you can test the mission or look into the code of it (i don't know what to look for) and see if hitting clear has cleared the faults that would be awesome! Might be onto something

It was so weird as i don't enable faults in game and they weren't enforced in ME. If it wasn't the tgp going out it was the right mfcd and sometimes both...but again, this seemed to work. I had some experienced A10 guys clueless as to what was going on after they were watching my stream

Edited by sdirmitt
clarification

Yeah I dunno, I've never opened it before; I hit clear and it seemed to fix it. I didn't try hitting rand, does it populate anything in that window? The issue is I never had failures set and have never set these options in this window, maybe a bug populates invisible failures? But as soon as I hit clear, and flew in the small amount of time I had no failures occur.

I'll test some more after work.

Edited by sdirmitt

• Solution
47 minutes ago, sdirmitt said:

I didn't try hitting rand, does it populate anything in that window?

Well here's the fun part, and I just found this out:

When the skill of an aircraft is set to "Client", the "FAILURES" panel is empty.

When you set the skill to "Player" instead, the panel is properly populated.

As far as I'm aware, these failures don't work in Multiplayer, which is probably the reason the panel doesn't work for clients.

But in single player missions, you can fly any aircraft that is set to Client, and the failures do seem to take effect then.

So I guess that's one problem solved: Set the skill to "Player" and at least you can see what's set and what isn't.

However, that doesn't explain why the failures were set in the first place when you never hit that RAND button; I have no ideas in this regard.

19 minutes ago, sdirmitt said:

Maybe the client thing is a10c specific as I've always set other aircraft to client and never had problems for single player....always used client so I can throw in as multiplayer whenever. Very interesting 

Well the client setting shouldn't be a problem at all. I also do that with A-10C and A-10C II all the time, for singleplayer testing as well as for multiplayer, and I can't remember a single instance of getting these preset failures.

Yeah I'm not sure, yesterday I threw a a10 in my viper training mission in syria as client too and got failures where the viper didnt. Might be a bug introduced recently that only effects a10c2 client in sp somehow...looking forward to testing the player slot part tonight as well as client after clearing the invisible list of faults and see if that works

4 minutes ago, sdirmitt said:

Just out of curiosity what file in the .miz am I looking for to find failures in it?

The “mission” file (it's Lua without having the extension) — they will be listed under the specific aircraft definition. The easiest bet is to search the Lua file using the group or unit name since the file can get very large and cumbersome to navigate as mission complexity builds up.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

can confirm, if on client a10c2 you need to clear the invisible list of faults in ME, haven't bothered testing player but i assume no issue or just hit clear will work...flew an hour at my range and no faults or failures, aside from on landing.....last wpt i got a cdu not ready that immediately cleared but I assume thats because flight plan completed. Thanks all!👍

• Like 2