VR for beginners: HELP!

Could anyone advise me on what to buy to enjoy a satisfying VR experience? Also any third parts programs for the set-up.
My specifications are as follows:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @ 3.80GHz
RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1799MHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z490-P (LGA1200)
Monitor: MSI MPG341CQR S (3440x1440 @ 144Hz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

Thanks in advance for your precious feedback.

Do you already have a headset? Nonetheless you should consider overclocking your CPU for VR if your cooling allows it. If not, get a AiO liquid cooling and then oc. Same for your RAM. Also VRAM helps a lot with VR so you might lower your graphic settings a bit with that 3070. A helpful tool for VR is fpsVR wich i highly recommend. It is about 10€ on steam iirc. Besides that, i don't think there is anything you would desperately need to enjoy VR.

My specs for comparison:

I7 6800K @ 4.2 GHz (air cooled)

64 GB Quad-Channel (8 x 8 GB) @ 3.000 MHz

MSI Gaming X99 LGA 2011-3

MSI RTX 3090

I followed Speed-of-heats ( and some others) setting advise and adjusted Steam SS a bit and get 45-55fps with the Reverb G2. Depending on map and scenery. Not perfect, but always good playable for me even in MP and/or low level flight and definately enough to be unable to go back to a flat screen. No shader mods installed btw.

Cheers

Edited by VpR81
  • Like 1

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

10 hours ago, SebastianR said:

Emanuele, your ram's are 3600mhz. What headset are you going to buy?

Sebastian,

Of course 3600mhz 🙂 I just copied the specs form the Excel. Right now as headset I am using  the HyperX Cloud II. Do 7you think they are fine for the purpose?

19 hours ago, VpR81 said:

Do you already have a headset? Nonetheless you should consider overclocking your CPU for VR if your cooling allows it. If not, get a AiO liquid cooling and then oc. Same for your RAM. Also VRAM helps a lot with VR so you might lower your graphic settings a bit with that 3070. A helpful tool for VR is fpsVR wich i highly recommend. It is about 10€ on steam iirc. Besides that, i don't think there is anything you would desperately need to enjoy VR.

My specs for comparison:

I7 6800K @ 4.2 GHz (air cooled)

64 GB Quad-Channel (8 x 8 GB) @ 3.000 MHz

MSI Gaming X99 LGA 2011-3

MSI RTX 3090

I followed Speed-of-heats ( and some others) setting advise and adjusted Steam SS a bit and get 45-55fps with the Reverb G2. Depending on map and scenery. Not perfect, but always good playable for me even in MP and/or low level flight and definately enough to be unable to go back to a flat screen. No shader mods installed btw.

Cheers

Dear,

thanks for the feedback.

So it is your opinion maybe it should be better waiting for an hardware upgrade? I am thinking to but a RTX3090 or RTX30280ti when available (cost fair). For the moment better stay on TrackIR? 😉

By the way, I have as cooler MasterLiquid Lite

Ciao

4 hours ago, Emanuele said:

Right now as headset I am using  the HyperX Cloud II. Do 7you think they are fine for the purpose?

SebastianR ment a VR headset, not an audio one...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

5 hours ago, Emanuele said:

a RTX3090 or RTX30280ti when available (cost fair)

Don't think this is going to happen anytime soon.

I don't want to push you in any direction. People experience VR very different. I.e. i do have zero issues playing with my G2 set to 60Hz to get smoother gameplay, i don't see any flickering nor do i get sick. Very different with one of my friends, he is more sensitive to that and can't play with 60Hz as he starts to feel sick after a couple of minutes due to he recognises the displays flickering. I think your system can handle VR, it's just that you would propably need to sacrifice some eye-candy (i.e. lower the resolution of the VR headset, lower visual range, textures etc.) to get decent fps. People  for instance, have very different sweet spots regarding the resolution and fps so it is very hard to tell, if you would like the VR experience you'd get with it. And again, overclocking your CPU will definately help with VR wich you should realy consider since you do have a decent cooling. It's not that difficult and you can hardly break something nowadays.

Cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I would consider the Reverb G2.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 8/1/2021 at 10:08 AM, Emanuele said:

Sebastian,

Of course 3600mhz 🙂 I just copied the specs form the Excel. Right now as headset I am using  the HyperX Cloud II. Do 7you think they are fine for the purpose?

If you  look at Intel and AMD manufaturers specs for their CPUs their recommanded frequencies for RAM is 3200MGh for a good reason: They assume that you will not spend a premium in low frequency 1 X bank RAM so your controller wouldn't struggle to cope with both frequencies above 3200MHz and more than 4 ranks.

For a 4 X sticks configuration you can't expect your CPU not to throttle back under load for this reason, same for higher CPU frequencies, the maximum is 4 ranks/3200MGH, so I can guaranty you that using a Cl14/3200MHz 4 x 1 ranks kit would give you better results under load, Intel or AMD alike.

AMD 5000 series are more sensitive to low latencies because of their architecture which is optimized for the purpose of taking advantage of low latency RAM, Cl14 being one favourite among top AMD users, the kit I use today costed me <>£80 than the one it replaced, a 2 X 16GB, Cl16 3200MGh Crucial Ram kit, but provide me with a 6.04% increase in performance at 4K in back-to-back testing with 3DMark pro.

If you look at the cost of liquid cooling for a Ryzen 5 5600x, you'll figure that not only I gained more than double what can be expected with liquid O.C, but also that the motherboard, RAM and CPU are strll under warranty, because if I use boost, I do not O.C my system.

People completely neglect the importance of bounding RAM to CPU and prefer to go for faster frequencies instead but when the controllers hit their limits, this sort of RAM/CPU bound keep going, while the other configuration doesn't allow the CPU to be used to its full potential.

Here are some slides I think can be useful for you to get the trick.

First, an email I sent to MSI with the full details of my back-to-back 3DMark tests, I only use 4K with this package because I look for optimization for V.R, for the story, I  did take a risk since this RAM kit never was tested by MSI on this motherboard before, so it wasn't listed as supported memory but I got the tip from an experienced gamer in the MSI forum, hence the importance of a thorough research on the subject.

GSKILL.jpg

This is CPU-Z results, all my Cores are running at 4598.93 MHz and the temperature never exceded 76.6° using a £14 Artic Cooler 7X.

CPU-Z-results.jpg

Answering my questionsa about kits, Eurotech explains why it is risky to simply add another 2 X sticks to a 2 X kit, better planning and buying the full 4 X kit at once.

G-Skill-support.jpg

AMD detailing the Ryzen 5 architecture and how it is designed for lower latencies, the Cl14 kit works way better for the same freequency.

latency.jpg

Dual versus single rank RAM. This is also MSI with some details about how the AMD controller works but also what is under warranty and what is not, O.Ced systems are not.

ranks.jpg

Conslusions, if you are planing to increasee the performances of your P.C at some point after upgrade, it might be useful to explore this sort of solution and try to optimize your CPU by bounding the best RAM kit possible to it, for AMD users, the gain is obvious, more than double than with Liquid O.C a Ryzen 5600X...

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.