PC upgrade on triple 1440p monitor 4790K--> 5800x and 1080Ti --> RX 6800 XT, some results

Dear Flight Simmers,

I recently upgraded my Computer from a i7 4790K to a 5800X and now from a GTX 1080Ti to a Rx 6800 XT. As I´m using a triple display setup with 3x 27”1440p displays. I rarely find information about possible improvements changing from one to the other system.

So I went the expensive way and figured it out by myself. My resolution is 7680x1440 and with MSI Afterburner I´m checking the CPU/GPU utilization and FPS inside of a given mission to make it comparable. I will simply mention the percentage of improvement as I did not find the time to run several comparisons and visualize them with pictures. But anyway, my findings could give the one or the other an indication of what to await.

Old: i7 4790K, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR3 --> 48 FPS (Basis), 99% GPU, 25% CPU (spread evenly over the 8 cores)

Transition: 5800X, 1080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 --> 47 FPS (-2,1%), 99% GPU, 13% CPU (spread evenly over the 16 cores)

New: 5800X, 6800XT, 64 GB DDR4 --> 53 FPS (+10,4%), 99% GPU, 20% CPU (spread evenly over the 16 cores)

My settings are displayed in the attached picture.

I did not play around so much with other resolutions, so cannot tell you the difference in 1440p between the systems. My default mission with the new system has 112 FPS in 1440p compared to the 53 FPS with 3 screens.

The extra DRAM of the AMD card (16GB) was completely eaten up by DCS, like at the Nvidia one before (11GB). In a crowded mission in Syria (4YA server), even the RAM is filled in a good way (old: 30-32GB, new: 40-44 GB).

As a conclusion I can say that upgrading the CPU was not really helpful. I expected this as the GPU utilization already was at 99%. But anyway, I thought the PCIE 4.0 and DDR4 could make a difference. I guess the frame times were raised but not noticeable. At the GPU upgrade I was disappointed. I expected at least 20% performance boost. It seems like the RX 6800 XT doesn´t like that high resolutions. Maybe something is thwarting my system but I didn´t find anything so far.

If anybody has an idea to raise FPS with a setting I might not know so far, please let me know. Otherwise I will leave it like it is as my wallet is empty now and a new GPU equals the end of my marriage 😉

Take care,

Xoxen

IMG_20210430_232303.jpg

Edited by xoxen
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

WOW, that's pretty shocking! 😮

I was expecting very noticeable improvements, though it's not the first case we've read here about disapointments after big hardware upgrades.

Listen, I guess you must've tried a gazillion of things already but, I see room for improvement there. Not because of hardware in use, but because of how DCS's engine works. 
Compromises here and there are a reality in DCS - doesn't matter if with top hardware parts, or how nonnegotiable one may think some (minor?) details are.
It's just the nature of the beast - DCS is very, very unoptimized!

If the aim is to get high FPS, some settings simply can not be maxxed, while other settings simply make no sense going above certain point. 

I'll offer personal suggestions in hope that it can help (afterall, there's a marriage to be saved! 😛 ) - it may or may not help, but still worth a try:

1. Civ.Traffic - this one may seem inoffensive but it does put unnecessary extra strain on system. Best set at LOW, maybe even consider placing it at OFF.

2. Water - this is rendered all over the map (yes, even in land, right below the terrain textures!), so this setting does impact on performance.
Placing this at MEDIUM will see performance increase. Placing it at LOW may also be considered but the drop in graphical quality is then noticed.

3. Visib Range -  Asking hundreds upon hundreds of objects to be rendered further and further away, to the point of "diminishing returns" = No bueno.
Anything above HIGH can be problematic (depending on PC hardware), this setting can greatly impact on performance. M
aybe even consider placing it at MEDIUM.

4. Heat Blur - another setting that may seem inoffensive but, in some situations, it'll impact performance.
Better placed at LOW, maybe even consider placing it at OFF if struggling with performance.

5. MSAA - This is "Anti-Alising", and can be extremely demanding on graphics (sometimes even at 2x), and similar thing can be said for SSAA, which is even more demanding.
Noone likes aliasing, jaggies and shimmering, so "2X" in MSAA is a good place to start, and if performance is very good then maybe try raising it to "4X".
Avoid using SSAA (very demanding on resources, better at "OFF"). 
If you're running high resolutions (4K, for example), see first if you can live with both MSAA and SSAA settings at OFF.

6. SSAO,  SSLR and SSAO- while "nice to have", they're better always left at OFF, because they put a lot of strain on graphics power (already pushed near limits).

7.  Motion Blurturning this OFF may get you back a little of performance (+/- 5% of GPU usage, depending on GPU in use).
It's eye-candy that, all things considered, may be worth sacrificing.

8. Preload Radius - while this won't affect framerate, it affects loading times and, eventually, excessive memory usage (RAM and pagefile).
Anything above 90000 is overkill, and 45000 is actually ideal for most users.

9. Terrain Object Shadows - Think about every single object you see, be it tree, house, electricity pole, vehicle (huge etc) casting normal shadows, versus simpler flat shadows.
Placing this at "FLAT" is the better option because, while it may not get you big improvement in FPS (depends on other settings) it'll run much smoother. Very worth it.

10. Cockpit Global Illumination - turning this OFF may get you a little more performance (+/- 5% of GPU usage, depending on DCS module and, of course, GPU in use).
Some modules seem more affected in visuals than others but, depending on module in use, it may be worth sacrificing (i.e, left at "OFF").

11. Please try some DCS shaders mods - Plenty around to try, be it the original one by Kegetys or modified ones from his excelent work.
I prefer to use SIMPLEX, which is a very simplified version from Kegety's VR Shaders mod, which you can get HERE. This will give slightly better performance and GPU usage (+/- 10% depending on GPU), be it with monitors or with VR, with no real noticeable loss of image quality and no slow mission loading issues. A must have, IMO.

Edited by LucShep
updated with more suggestions
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 3200 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix @xmp2) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

^ I would be careful about dumping cockpit global illumination without trying what it does. Based on my old tests, mostly with warbirds, there was no rule - some modules showed no difference in fps whatsoever, some got 12 fps increase at 1440p. Some looked pretty much the same with this option on and off, the others had a pretty big quality deterioration (Spitfire). The results were all over the place and really depended on an aircraft tested.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

QUOTE: "...and a new GPU equals the end of my marriage"

Buy some FLOWERS for your wife.

:flowers:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the input. I will try the proposed settings (maybe the flowers as well 😉 ) and let you know if

A. I can live with it

and

B. what they bring FPS wise.

Today I´m too tired for further testing. Fiddled around with some mild OC and could gain appr. 5% extra. Not really worth it but at least something.

Cheers,

Xoxen

Edit: Oh wow, I just tested the shader mod and it boosted the FPS from 53 to 66 😳 I´m very much impressed and need to have a detailed look at it tomorrow and fly aroud a little. Thanks for the advice and I will check the other points as well.

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Hi Fetus,

Re-Size bar is activated but only makes a difference of 1-2 FPS, if any. But thanks for the advice. Overclocking the CPU is something I can try as well, even though the GPU is definitely the bottleneck in my system at that resolution. So the rage mode is something which makes a small difference, I checked this already, again 1-2 FPS more.

You should also try the shader mod. On the 4YA server I also got the performance boost and even on the Marianas I never got below 34 compared to stock shaders sometimes at 28. I did not really see an optical difference.

Xoxen

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1

Good Morning gentlemen,

I was curious and did some benching after breakfast. I startet with 50 FPS (accidentially the visib. range already was set to high instead of extreme why I mentioned 53 FPS above)

Here ist the outcome: Mirrors off, TrackIR off, Cockpit view

Basis settings (see picture)

50 FPS

Basis settings and Shader Mod

63 FPS (+26%)

Visib. Range: Extreme --> High

53 FPS (+6%)

Preload Radius: 150000 --> 90000

50 FPS (0%)

Cockpit Global Illumination: On --> Off

53 FPS (+6%)

All of the above (without Shader Mod)

56 FPS (+12%)

All of the above incl. Shader Mod

71 FPS (+42%)

I would say my marriage is saved. Crazy 42% plus. I´m not sure about the Cockpit Global Illumination as the cockpit doesn´t feel that real anymore. But this is a very good starting point. Even if I stick to the Shader Mod only, the 26% gain are really noticeable.

Thanks for the advices.

DCS settings basis.png

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, xoxen said:

It seems like the RX 6800 XT doesn´t like that high resolutions.

If you check out some GPU comparison charts you'll see that once the res goes up, nVidia cards get the upper hand (still game depending of course but noticable). 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Based on my findings AMD has to improve further to be on my next GPU list. But this is far in the future, otherwise I'm in trouble with my wife 🤪

10 hours ago, xoxen said:

Good Morning gentlemen,

I was curious and did some benching after breakfast.
(...)

I would say my marriage is saved. Crazy 42% plus. I´m not sure about the Cockpit Global Illumination as the cockpit doesn´t feel that real anymore. But this is a very good starting point. Even if I stick to the Shader Mod only, the 26% gain are really noticeable.

Thanks for the advices.

haha 😄 good on ya man! 😎

About AMD vs Nvidia, each direct competitor for a given model has pros and cons, it has always been so.

One thing that you'll notice further ahead is that, for a brand new model on its launch, while Nvidia drivers usually come out right away very reliable and performant, on the other hand, the AMD drivers mature (improve) far, far better over time.
Which means, AMD GPUs do age better, and not just because they usually have more VRAM. Its pretty much guaranteed to see continuous performance gains and bugs fixing during the whole lifespan of the GPU (hence the "FineWine" technology moniker is often used).

That also means the new RX6000 series, like has been even with 6+ year GPU models, will have its users notice continuous improvements, even years later when they're replaced with newer models (can confirm this with mine).

For me, after miriads of both good and bad drivers with Nvidia (from no performance improvements since day one, to problems at a certain point), that was one very strong reason to jump from Nvidia to AMD (or return to, as I'd only use ATI graphics over a decade ago).

And, have to say, I've been impressed enough to give preference, again, to an AMD GPU when the time comes to replace the one I'm using.  

Edited by LucShep
...spelling(?)
  • Thanks 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 3200 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix @xmp2) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Great, in that case I still can await improvements. I was with Nvidia 20+ years and have to learn to feel comfortable with AMD, which will take a little. But generally I didn't regret this step as AMD did a great job CPU and GPU wise.

Edited by xoxen

I´m fully aware of this, but now the money is gone and the PC is 100% future proof. Maybe DCS will develop into the right direction for me to get a benefit later on.

Just a heads up, and not to derail the topic of the thread, it's just in case someone is interested.

The shaders mod previously mentioned here has been updated to be IC compliant for Multiplayer (uninstall previous version, before using updated version):

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Both versions of the Shader Mod do not pass the IC for me. When I first enter the selection screen it is green but then it turns red.

Edited by xoxen

Thanks for reporting that - IC issue does seem to be upon the file compose.hlsl, even though it worked fine on my end last time!
Please uninstall previous version, and redownload (then test) the updated version (v2.1) uploaded just now.

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

I will check it later on and give feedback. Thanks for the info and support.

Xoxen

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1

Two things that I haven't seen menttioned yet is:

1) info on your power supply (total wattage, and if using two separate PCIE cables, or only one, to feed GPU).

2) what temperatures the GPU has when working with DCS.

...it may or may not be related to unexpected low performance.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

Spoiler

- My PSU is a 600W BeQuiet. I checked the wattage at max performance (3D Mark) and it never goes above 425W total, so still should be fine. Do you think this could be an issue?

- The temperature is at 76°C when running 3D Mark or in DCS on a heavy MP Mission.

Edit: IC now runs in a good way in v2.1

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xoxen said:

- My PSU is a 600W BeQuiet. I checked the wattage at max performance (3D Mark) and it never goes above 425W total, so still should be fine. Do you think this could be an issue?

- The temperature is at 76°C when running 3D Mark or in DCS on a heavy MP Mission.

RX6800XT is capable of peaking at 325W, I think minimum requirement by AMD is 650W PSU, and with two separate PCIE cables feeding the GPU (not a single pigtail). 

Maybe not consensual but I find that too optimistical, and I'd actually go with 750W+ PSU (maybe even 850W) as that could be a factor, yes.

But then you are reporting good total peak wattage consumption for a 600W PSU... 😕 

The GPU temperatures that you report (around 75ºC, below 80ºC) are just fine if with heavy benchmark, or very demanding DCS missions.
But there are other thermal sensors on your GPU also to be monitored when the GPU is really pushed (Memory Junction preferably below 85ºC, HotSpot below 95ºC).

These usually read higher than GPU temp, and I believe that both Junction and HotSpot maximum operating temperature for RX6800/RX6800XT is ~105ºC.

Which means that when one of the various thermal sensors throughout the GPU Card reaches and passes ~105ºC, it will automatically throttle (to avoid damage, it drops performance to reduce power consumption and heat generation).

In the event that this is what is happening, you may try undervolting the GPU (look around for tutorials) and/or make sure you have a well ventilated case (with fans pushing in fresh air and pulling out hot air, a must for a system like yours).

BTW, it's personal preference only but, I still prefer to use Heaven Benchmark for GPU testing (vsync OFF, max settings at 1920x1080 or higher resolutions), monitoring temps, clocks and wattage, same time as stress tests goes on (three rounds running in sequence is usually plenty to get reliable info).

PS: many thanks for confirming mod is good for IC. 

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Dear Luke,

many thanks for the extra input. I double checked the wattage used to see if I can save buying a new PSU. The Watt counter shows what I have mentioned and this should be fine. I strongly believe that a too small PSU wouldn´t effect the FPS. I would expect a system crash. Maybe I´m wrong and this is the cause of my issues, but hard to believe. What I did is using 2 cables to support the GPU directly from the PSU. So I´m fine on this.

I have 5 fans in my case which should bring enough cool air into the system and the warm one out. If the GPU would be too warm and starts throttling, shouldn´t this end up in hickups/stutters? I don´t see this so far, the game is running fairly smooth.

I will give Heaven Benchmark a go as I have it installed. There the card is performing well.

Thanks again for your support, this is very much appreciated.

Take care,

Xoxen

• Like 1

One reason why people suggest getting more watts than you need is that a PSU is most efficient when it is not running a full wattage load constantly (50%-60% is at its best, and no more than 75% of the capacity is ideal). One should avoid running the PSU at full capacity, and never so for prolongued periods.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on all fronts.

You have a very good PSU, and if total peak wattage is ok, then of course there is no need to spend (even more money!) on a bigger capacity PSU. 😉 

Still, and just in case you ever feel a need to clear any doubts, you may simulate a "worst case scenario", by running both CPU and GPU stress tests (benchmark) at same time, while monitoring system total (peak) wattage and temperatures.

Then you'll see the system being closer to maximum load, and if the PSU is fully able and stable then (yes, it should shut down if not).

For example, Cinebench R20 (CPU -- Run) at same time that you run Heaven Benchmark (max settings, v-sync OFF, 1920x1080 resolution or higher).

A small period of time (less than 5 mins) with both of these running simultaneously, and in loop-repeat, should be "bad enough" to get a good estimated idea, as both CPU and GPU components will be really pushed at same time (again, just a worst case scenario simulation).
..........oh, and if things get too hot or smelly, interrupt tests imediately! 😛 *j/k*

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Hi Luke,

I did not get you wrong, everything is fine. You are fully right with the PSU and the limits my PC is capable to reach. Actually I´m only flying DCS and there it is OK. If this changes, I will double check if I´m still within the optimal area of my PSU and, if necessary, buy a new one.

I did some Heaven Benchmarking yesterday and the hotspot is really much higher. Max was 102°C for a moment, mainly at 97°C. I played around with the fans of the GPU and now it is cooler (and louder, but I´m wearing a headset anyway).

The hardcore test brought max 450 W, I used Cinebench 23 (all cores) and Heaven Benchmark (1440p, Ultra settings) at the same time. The CPU got warm with 77°C and the GPU was at 67°C.

Thanks again for your strong support.

Take care,

Xoxen

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1