What VR performence can I get?

The Gryphon

Hi guys,

What framerate do you think I can get with my current specifications?

Would love to know before I invest in a VR headset. 😃

I have a MSI MAG CODE X 5 gaming desktop :

Intel Core i7

32 GB RAM

Nvidia RTX 3070

SSD 1 TB

Edited by The Gryphon

• The Gryphon changed the title to What VR performence can I get?

Depends on the headset.

Something with the resolution between the Rift S and the HP Reverb G2 arround 40 fps. 

This with likely overall medium ingame graphical settings and a pixel density not too crazy.

Running myself a Rift S, 3070, Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB ram, SSD, pixel density 1.2, low to medium settings with 4x msaa giving me mostly a solid 40 fps in multiplayer.

When things get crazy in multiplayer it can drop a little, but with my current system it holds on great. 

I just upgraded from a ryzen 5 2600 to a 5600x wich made a great difference in having a way better and steady VR experience especially in multiplayer.

• Like 1

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

2 hours ago, RvL said:

Depends on the headset.

Something with the resolution between the Rift S and the HP Reverb G2 arround 40 fps. 

This with likely overall medium ingame graphical settings and a pixel density not too crazy.

Running myself a Rift S, 3070, Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB ram, SSD, pixel density 1.2, low to medium settings with 4x msaa giving me mostly a solid 40 fps in multiplayer.

When things get crazy in multiplayer it can drop a little, but with my current system it holds on great. 

I just upgraded from a ryzen 5 2600 to a 5600x wich made a great difference in having a way better and steady VR experience especially in multiplayer.

Ok thanks RvL thats really helpfull! I had no idea that the processor had such an impact om the performance aswell, that is really interesting! 

Thanks for sharing your settings ingame, I will bookmark this thread and try to adjust my settings similar in the future.

Sounds very promising, a solid 40 fps in multiplayer sounds really good in my novice ears, I think you just made me a future VR pilot in DCS  :clap:!!

Just to help you with making a decision about which VR headset to get, I would recommend getting the best headset that your budget will allow for.  You can get an HP Reverb G2 and make it run acceptably on your system because there is nothing saying that you have to run it at its native resolution.  You can dial the resolution down or up with supersampling to match what your current rig is capable of.  Then, you'll have a VR headset that has the ability to grow with whatever upgrades you may do on your rig in the future.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

2 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

Just to help you with making a decision about which VR headset to get, I would recommend getting the best headset that your budget will allow for.  You can get an HP Reverb G2 and make it run acceptably on your system because there is nothing saying that you have to run it at its native resolution.  You can dial the resolution down or up with supersampling to match what your current rig is capable of.  Then, you'll have a VR headset that has the ability to grow with whatever upgrades you may do on your rig in the future.

Ok thanks for the help! 🙂 I was thinking about buying the Rift S, how large is the difference compared to the Reverb G2 when it comes to visual quality? 

How important is the visual quality vs frame-rate performance, what would you regard as the most important? I understand this is novice questions but I am 

just starting out so I have no idea really. 

The difference between a Rift S and a Reverb G2 for visual quality is huge.  As for the relative importance of visual quality and performance, both are equally important, so its all going to be about balance and what looks good to you.  Try not to get caught up in chasing the frame counter dragon and just tweak and experiment based on visual "feel".  Sure you could get 5 more FPS out of it by sacrificing something in visual quality, but why?  If your eyes don't notice the benefit of that extra 5 FPS, then it has no benefit.

On my rig, with a G2, I have DCS PD set for 0.6 and SteamVR Super-Sampling set for 128%.  That gives me the best experience according to my eyes, but you may find a different combination to be more suitable to you.  That's all very subjective.

Between the RiftS and Reverb G2, definitely go for the G2 if you can afford it.  You can easily "dumb down" a G2 and sacrifice a little visual quality for better performance.  But, with a Rift S, no matter what you do, you'll never be able to get it to look as good as a G2.  In order to attempt that, you have to crank up DCS PD (pixel density) and/or Oculus Pixel Density, and that actually has a more detrimental effect on performance than it would if you had a headset that could produce the same effective resolution natively.

I went from a Rift CV1 to a Reverb G1 (which has the same specs as the G2 I now have...the G2 is just a lot more reliable), and not only did I get MUCH better visuals, but I got better performance as well.  I know that seems counter-intuitive, but that comes back to what I said about having to crank up DCS PD and SteamVR SS (which is sort of like Oculus Pixel Density).  The extra up and down conversion done by super-sampling eats up a lot of extra CPU and GPU cycles.  A higher resolution headset won't be as dependent on those performance-robbing technologies.

Just make sure your processor meets the minimum specs recommended by HP.  You'll need to know the model number of the processor.  The i7 series came in a lot of different models, some of which might not be up to the task.  My i7, the 8700K, does just fine with it.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I second the image quality comments - get the best you can (which is g2 at the moment I believe), and then tweak it to balance performance vs image quality.

I have a Quest 1, which I bought because I was flying on an underspecced laptop. It’s a little bit like flying minecraft :-) I would definitely like to upgrade it.

Still prefer minecraft DCS in VR to flying on higher settings with head tracking though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

The difference between a Rift S and a Reverb G2 for visual quality is huge.  As for the relative importance of visual quality and performance, both are equally important, so its all going to be about balance and what looks good to you.  Try not to get caught up in chasing the frame counter dragon and just tweak and experiment based on visual "feel".  Sure you could get 5 more FPS out of it by sacrificing something in visual quality, but why?  If your eyes don't notice the benefit of that extra 5 FPS, then it has no benefit.

On my rig, with a G2, I have DCS PD set for 0.6 and SteamVR Super-Sampling set for 128%.  That gives me the best experience according to my eyes, but you may find a different combination to be more suitable to you.  That's all very subjective.

Between the RiftS and Reverb G2, definitely go for the G2 if you can afford it.  You can easily "dumb down" a G2 and sacrifice a little visual quality for better performance.  But, with a Rift S, no matter what you do, you'll never be able to get it to look as good as a G2.  In order to attempt that, you have to crank up DCS PD (pixel density) and/or Oculus Pixel Density, and that actually has a more detrimental effect on performance than it would if you had a headset that could produce the same effective resolution natively.

I went from a Rift CV1 to a Reverb G1 (which has the same specs as the G2 I now have...the G2 is just a lot more reliable), and not only did I get MUCH better visuals, but I got better performance as well.  I know that seems counter-intuitive, but that comes back to what I said about having to crank up DCS PD and SteamVR SS (which is sort of like Oculus Pixel Density).  The extra up and down conversion done by super-sampling eats up a lot of extra CPU and GPU cycles.  A higher resolution headset won't be as dependent on those performance-robbing technologies.

Just make sure your processor meets the minimum specs recommended by HP.  You'll need to know the model number of the processor.  The i7 series came in a lot of different models, some of which might not be up to the task.  My i7, the 8700K, does just fine with it.

This is incredible well written reply you have given me and I couldn't even have guessed half of it even if I wanted it.

I am immensely gratefull for the help and understand the effort it took from your part to write it all down. Thank you so much!

I have to do some investigation to get the information about what processor number I have. If I have the right processor I will purchase Reverb G2. Thanks for sharing your settings aswell!

35 minutes ago, rubbra said:

I second the image quality comments - get the best you can (which is g2 at the moment I believe), and then tweak it to balance performance vs image quality.

I have a Quest 1, which I bought because I was flying on an underspecced laptop. It’s a little bit like flying minecraft :-) I would definitely like to upgrade it.

Still prefer minecraft DCS in VR to flying on higher settings with head tracking though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and I fully agree I want the full DCS experience and I want to feel like I am inside and actual airplane, I want to be imerssed :clap:

I would also recommand getting the G2.

Will also be my next headset upgrade.

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

Can you guys help me with another question? 🙂

It is about the displayport connection that both the Oculus S and Reverb 2 uses.

My computer only have one DisplayPort, and my gaming screen is a MSI Optix AG32CQ that uses the displayport in order to get 144hz. 

So with only one diplayport occupied by my monitor, do I have to unplug my monitor in order to connect and use the VR headset? 

How do you guys normally do?

Edited by The Gryphon
Spelling

Your machine should have more than 1 display port connector on it.  The RTX3070s I have seen so far usually have at least two of them, along with HDMI ports.  The video card itself usually will have 4 ports on it in some combination of DP and HDMI.  Can you post a picture of the back of your computer?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

Your machine should have more than 1 display port connector on it.  The RTX3070s I have seen so far usually have at least two of them, along with HDMI ports.  The video card itself usually will have 4 ports on it in some combination of DP and HDMI.  Can you post a picture of the back of your computer?

Ok I will post a picture tomorrow my connections and my computer rig (Im away from town today on family meeting), thanks guys 🙂

On 7/31/2021 at 9:36 PM, eaglecash867 said:

Hi here are some pictures of my computer. All I can see is that I have one DiplayPort but further down I have 4 more ports and I am not sure what those are, are those DisplayPorts aswell?

I was also wondering if I have a USB 3.0 C connection, can you help me find it, it is a requirement for Reverb 2 aswell?

20210802_125434.jpg

20210802_124920.jpg

20210802_124949.jpg

20210802_125033.jpg

20210802_125221.jpg

Where you have the one display port plugged in is the GPU, that is what you want to use.

Hard to see them all, but my guess is you have two more available display ports there along with likely one HDMI port on that GPU.

Use one of the available display ports on the GPU.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The card further down with the 4 ports on it is your RTX3070 (picture #4).  The one in your pic has 1 HDMI port and 3 DisplayPort ports.  So just make sure to plug your monitor into 1 of those 3 DisplayPort ports, and plug your VR headset into one of the remaining two on that same card.

The single HDMI and DisplayPort ports in the 3rd picture go to your motherboard's integrated graphics processor, so you don't want to use either one of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglecash867 said:

The card further down with the 4 ports on it is your RTX3070 (picture #4).  The one in your pic has 1 HDMI port and 3 DisplayPort ports.  So just make sure to plug your monitor into 1 of those 3 DisplayPort ports, and plug your VR headset into one of the remaining two on that same card.

The single HDMI and DisplayPort ports in the 3rd picture go to your motherboard's integrated graphics processor, so you don't want to use either one of those.

Thank you so much for your reply! Once again your cleared all my questions in a very easy way to understand.

It looks like I have a USB 3.0 C  connection aswell, it is on the third picture from above, the red usb connection with a number 10 on it, I found thos picture on the internet and it has the same symbol: 

USBC.jpg

No problem, Gryphon.  Let us know how your new VR headset works out.  Now that I think about it, if your rig was built with an RTX3070 in it, I'm pretty sure its going to have a good enough processor to give you a great experience with whatever headset you decide to get.

to find which CPU you have try getting "CPU-Z" by CPUID.. it will give you when you need to know. Hopefully it is a K model Intel but just about any should be good enough.. I ran a G2 with a 1080 GTX vid card and I was fine.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2