Help with GROUP:FindByName()

Death Merchant

Hey guys,

I'm learning scripting and using MOOSE. I've been having limited success with GROUP:FindByName and UNIT:FindByName. From what I can tell the problem usually stems from not knowing the GROUP or UNITS proper and complete name.

Is there a way to generate a list of all of the GROUPS and UNITS in a mission so that I can verify the I have the name correct?

Thanks,

DM

[PC] ASUS X570E - Ryzen 9  5950X - RX 6900 XT - 32GB 3600Mhz

Hornet, A-4E-C, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, F-15E, F-14

Join us on Death Dealers PvE server.

If you want to access your group after you've spawned it, you can use :OnSpawnGroup(). Here's just a short example:

f16_spawn = SPAWN
	:New("F_16_USA")
	:OnSpawnGroup(
		function(SpawnedGroup)
			F16GroupName = SpawnedGroup.GroupName
		end
	)

Then later on to find it you can use it like this:

GROUP:FindByName(F16GroupName)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, hope this helps!

Good luck with your learning! I've just started with Moose too (and lua at the same time) - and am a complete novice - but can share with you what I know. 

This will get a list of all groups and/or units you have in the mission and drop it into the DCS log file for you:

MyGroups = SET_GROUP:New():_FilterStart()
 BASE:E({MyGroups:GetObjectNames()})

MyUnits = SET_UNIT:New():_FilterStart()
 BASE:E({MyUnits:GetObjectNames()})

You can of course use filters to limit on coalition, etc by adding filter conditions with the SET_GROUP stuff.

(I think you should be able to do the same thing on a client set too if you're looking for clients and not AI units/groups)

FWIW - I use Copy and paste between the Mission Editor and LDT religiously because I'm a sucker for mistyping the names (or getting the case wrong).

Edited by Dangerzone

Thanks guys, you were a big help!

It took some work, but I got everything working.

I've taken the SnowFox Escalation Misison, added the Hercules mod and added persistent functionality for the units dropped from the Herc. This is going to help a lot.

DM

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:07 PM, Dangerzone said:

FWIW - I use Copy and paste between the Mission Editor and LDT religiously because I'm a sucker for mistyping the names (or getting the case wrong).

I've been having trouble setting up the LDT, I keep getting errors, so I've been using Notepad++ for my LUA editing.

I need to get the LDT setup, I hear it's really helpful.

You can setup your Intelisense through Visual Studio Code or LDT

How to setup Intelisense for Visual Studio Code: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/227443-moose-visual-studio-code-moose-implementation/

How to setup Intelisense with LDT:

Hopefully these two guides help some, personally I use Visual Studio Code as it’s more appealing to look at for long hours 🙂