Can you "boresight" the IR mav?

USAF-Falcon87

Whenever I uncage the IR maverick, it is pointed off some other direction than the tank I just found.  So then I spend quite a while slewing the mav to point where I want.  Is there a way to center/boresight the Mav once it is uncaged?  Cage doesn't seem to do it.  Back in "ye olden days" (last week) when you could slew to the TPOD, I would have just done it that way.  Now I've got no clue.

Thanks!

Ric

It should work exactly the same. Designate a target with either DMT or TPOD, THEN uncage and the Maverick should snap to the target. When uncaging without a system designation, it will just be Boresighted straight ahead. Designate the target first and then UNCAGE. If you slew the seeker independently before designating a target it will not snap to it. You have to CAGE, Undesignate, re-designate. Uncage to start again.

Edited by Recluse

On 7/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, USAF-Falcon87 said:

Whenever I uncage the IR maverick, it is pointed off some other direction than the tank I just found.  So then I spend quite a while slewing the mav to point where I want.  Is there a way to center/boresight the Mav once it is uncaged?  Cage doesn't seem to do it.  Back in "ye olden days" (last week) when you could slew to the TPOD, I would have just done it that way.  Now I've got no clue.

Thanks!

Ric

When you uncage the missile, it's pointing forward. You need to Uncage, press SSS-fwd and use TDC to slew the seeker towards your target...

You don't have to boresight mavs on the harrier currently, you will likely have to once they re-work them for the flir update.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

5 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

You don't have to boresight mavs on the harrier currently, you will likely have to once they re-work them for the flir update.

Yeah, I think his question was less about true BORESIGHTING and more about slaving to a designated target.

I really HATED the Boresighting procedure in BMS (largely because after a lot of work it still didn't work very well) so I am not looking forward to seeing it in the Harrier or Hornet, though I gather it is implemented in the DCS F-16 or soon will be. Not sure if there is any REAL LIFE differences between the platforms that would make it optional in the Harrier/Hornet.

The "Boresighting" I am referring to is needing to adjust the aimpoint of the TPOD to the AImpoint of the Maverick Seeker by correlating them to some standard point (e.g. some building that is easy to see with both seekers) so that the TPOD (or DMT) and Maverick Sensor are aligned.  Currently in the Harrier and Hornet they are aligned automatically. No idea if this is real life or not in those platforms

Edited by Recluse

1 hour ago, Recluse said:

Yeah, I think his question was less about true BORESIGHTING and more about slaving to a designated target.

I really HATED the Boresighting procedure in BMS (largely because after a lot of work it still didn't work very well) so I am not looking forward to seeing it in the Harrier or Hornet, though I gather it is implemented in the DCS F-16 or soon will be. Not sure if there is any REAL LIFE differences between the platforms that would make it optional in the Harrier/Hornet.

The "Boresighting" I am referring to is needing to adjust the aimpoint of the TPOD to the AImpoint of the Maverick Seeker by correlating them to some standard point (e.g. some building that is easy to see with both seekers) so that the TPOD (or DMT) and Maverick Sensor are aligned.  Currently in the Harrier and Hornet they are aligned automatically. No idea if this is real life or not in those platforms

People want realism... Yet complain when they get it, DCS is a funny community. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

People want realism... Yet complain when they get it, DCS is a funny community. 

Some people want realism down to the rivet. Some people want a detailed simulation they can work to master and still enjoy, some people want a game they can play.  The Community isn't monolithic.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 10:48 AM, Harlikwin said:

I wonder how this could be done in the Harrier since it cannot have TPOD and MAV video up at the same time...

Edited by Draken35

• 1 year later...

Difference in terminology...

You are correct that the Mav will boresight, in that the seeker will be boresighted in it's forward and locked position.

I think what that OP was asking was a similar process needed on the F-16 where you have to do an alignment between the Mav seeker and the TPOD to assure that they will line up so targets are handed off correctly.  Also called "boresighting".

I don't own the DCS F-16 but I remember doing that process in the BMS F-16.  Essentially you slew the Targeting pod over a target, and independently slew the MAV seeker over the same target and tell them that they are now aligned, and magic happens...

Ooops... I am repeating what I said above. Funny, I had no recollection of making that earlier post...

Edited by Recluse

Boresighting the Mavs won't be as important on other platforms as it is on the Viper, because the Viper supports handoff for Mav Ds. This compares TGP and Mav seeker images, so they need to match exactly in order for handoff to succeed. This feature is not available on any other version of the missile, we might see it in the Strike Eagle (not sure about the A-10, but I don't think it supports handoff), but on any other platform, a rough boresighting on the ground might be enough since they can't do handoff, so you need to fiddle with the seeker to get it to lock, anyway.