We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

13 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

I would wait until destructible environments are available to map makers, it just doesn't feel right if you can't flatten forests with daisy cutters for impromptu landing zones for hueys

Well, that is already possible with a SCENERY DESTRUCTION (and REMOVE) ZONE trigger in a mission.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

47 minutes ago, draconus said:

Well, that is already possible with a SCENERY DESTRUCTION (and REMOVE) ZONE trigger in a mission.

IIRC it doesn't sync in multiplayer, and while we don't have the BLU-82/C-130, it would still be good if weapons knocked down trees (I've seen it happen once or twice, but usually the trees just burn).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:08 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I’d like a Map that allows for plausible scenarios for most DCS current aircrafts, so a 1990-1999 Yugoslavia map gets my vote 😇

+1000 here! With Aviano AFB 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Would like scenery from Norway as they have been using F-16's for 43 years now and Norway has some extreme scenery with high and steep mountains and incredibly fjords that makes it hard to fight in. 

Edited by Snakey86
  • Like 4

AMD 5800X3D, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Gigabyte Aourus RX 6900XT Xtreme Waterforce @ 2800MHz @55*Celcius, Gigabyte B550 Aourus Pro V2, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z-Neo DDR4 3600MHz, 2x1TB WD Black SN850, Oculus Quest Pro

Agreed, Norway would be awesome... 

Reminds me of a sim from the mid-90's that featured the Eurofighter defending Norway from a resurgent Russian invasion...  The map was very very basic compared to today, but it stretched from Norway to St Petersburg, from Oslo to... uh, well somewhere quite north, might have been arctic ocean even! Was a HUGE map... 

I'd LOVE to see a high detail version of that map, one that featured both summer and winter textures, and a dynamic campaign like the old sim did with a tacops addon... it had a lot of immersion, or at least that's what I felt when flying it!  I remember being overjoyed to see AI Grippens, Tornados, I think there was even an Antonov 124 giant transport helping the invasion of Bodo... well I think there was, memory that far back is very hazy. But doing those multi-role airstrikes with a 4 ship, following mountain valleys, lobbing ALARM over the mountains to plunge down upon SAM's once we let ourselves be lit up... amazing!

I always hoped there would be a sequel or "sequel in spirit and content", but nothing so far measures up... but DCS could do this, once our hardware can handle such a large map, we get a Eurofighter from HB and TG, and some campain system of the dynamic variety... 😄

• Like 5

hi. Bit late but thought I should reply.

Would absolutely LOVE a full South East Asia map of Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia in the late 60s period. Would really make the Huey shine. Being able to do ops like:

- troop transport 

- troop insertion/extraction

- medevac

- gunship support

- night missions (no NVGs so flares)

• Like 2

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Norwegian F-16 in Western Norway. 7mins video of incredible scenery 

https://fb.watch/8NCOeaqaim/

Edited by Snakey86
  • Like 3

AMD 5800X3D, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Gigabyte Aourus RX 6900XT Xtreme Waterforce @ 2800MHz @55*Celcius, Gigabyte B550 Aourus Pro V2, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z-Neo DDR4 3600MHz, 2x1TB WD Black SN850, Oculus Quest Pro

1. Arctic/northern Scandinavia/Barents Sea, or the GIUK or BALTAP exercise areas: for all the reasons given upthread. Provides a home to several existing modules like Viggen that currently don't have one, new and different (and gorgeous) terrain, easy to repurpose to different eras due to being relatively uninhabited, what everybody else said. Plus I would add that Heatblur's newly-released USS Forrestal was up in that neighborhood for Ocean Safari '87. ETA: also, I like snow.

2. North Adriatic/Balkans/Yugoslavia: again, suits a lot of existing modules, novel and beautiful terrain, and although it would be harder to switch eras here than in the Arctic, northern Italy would make a nice mid-to-late WWII environment.

3. Anything that is not another desert.

I personally would also like a 1980s southeastern US map with the major USN training centers like NAS Meridian and Pensacola, but I know that's not going to happen, I'm the only one who wants that. 😛

Edited by KWard
  • Like 2

Northern Ireland/The Troubles.  Okay, that's a joke.  Some really good suggestions here.

1.  Germany/Poland.  Amsterdam to Budapest to Warsaw.  An A-10 freak's dream.

2.  Korea 1970s.  A map that might work for both 1990s jets and 1950s jets.

3.  Taiwan.

4.  Iran-Iraq.  Huge 9 year war with lots of aircraft.  But maybe we can fake it with PG.

5.  Iceland/Norway.  I would be forced to buy the Harrier.

6.  I would love to refight Khe Sanh, but dropping napalm on triple-canopy jungle, how would I know if I hit anything?  And do I really want to drop napalm on 2-legged creatures who can't shoot back?  Not exactly a fair fight.

HORNET/VIPER/HARRIER/SABRE/FISHBED/FROGFOOT/HOKUM/HIND/JUG/ISHAK

On 10/24/2021 at 8:30 PM, dfpoor said:

6.  I would love to refight Khe Sanh, but dropping napalm on triple-canopy jungle, how would I know if I hit anything?  And do I really want to drop napalm on 2-legged creatures who can't shoot back?  Not exactly a fair fight.

Let me remind you, the US lost almost 10,000 aircraft during the Vietnam war, a war which the US lost, and dropping napalm did little to curb the North's aggressiveness.  The US had some of the most advanced tech at the time, yet it all meant nothing to the "2-legged creatures" who whooped our asses.

Please ED, or another third party, bring us a Vietnam map.  

23 hours ago, Baaz said:

Let me remind you, the US lost almost 10,000 aircraft during the Vietnam war, a war which the US lost, and dropping napalm did little to curb the North's aggressiveness.  The US had some of the most advanced tech at the time, yet it all meant nothing to the "2-legged creatures" who whooped our asses.

Please ED, or another third party, bring us a Vietnam map.  

Don‘t forget those „2-legged creatures“ were supported and supplied by the Soviet Union.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

1 hour ago, norbot said:

Don‘t forget those „2-legged creatures“ were supported and supplied by the Soviet Union.

Point I was trying to make was that "2-legged creatures" not being able to shoot back is a poor reason for not making a Vietnam map; especially when over 10,000 aircraft are lost.  EDIT: And let's not forget many of those aircraft were lost to small arms fire making the "can't shoot back" argument false in its entirety. 

Who those "2-legged creatures" were supported by seems irrelevant.  It all comes down to the motivation and goals of the particular army.  Proof can be seen when you look at the fact South Vietnam caved even with the technological support of the US.   Further proof can be seen if you consider the 20-year war the US just finished in Afghanistan.  With realistic goals, and the proper motivation, "2-legged creatures" can accomplish anything; even if nearly 400,000 tons of napalm is dropped on them.  

Bring on Vietnam!!

Edited by Baaz

Bullseye Balkans 😇

Why?

• Diversity of terrain types.
  • No large flat areas where nothing can't hide.
  • Lot of mountain ridges.
  • Northern part icy southern cooked.
  • Thousands of islands, literary.
  • In war since dawn of man, actual Stanley's Kubrick monkey scene inspiration.
  • West is Blue east is Red, sunlight Doppler effect ready.
  • Three religions on bullseye, insurgents approved.
  • Stealth tech defeated by hacked sa2 missiles, ready for F117, F22, F35, B2 etc. modules.
  • Apache boneyard would get a second chance.
  • Was part of Falcon, deflected Viper pilots remastering ready.
  • Owen Wilson chased by Strela-10 missile for 3 mins, at least he felt that long.

Kennedy's call from past to devs:

“Choose to go to the Balkans in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of your energies and coding skills in DCS, because that challenge is one that brave are willing to accept, one persistent are unwilling to postpone, and one which you intend to win, and players too, either Red or Blue.”

WWII Extra: Even my grandma saved downed B17 pilot from Germans, God bless her soul.

Soundtrack proposal:

Edited by jackmckay
  • Like 7

1.png

And finish of all existing maps like Persian including koweit etc...

Edited by Kervinou
  • Like 1

System specs: Win10 x64 | i7-9700KF / i9-12900KF | 48/64 GB | GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / RTX 3090TI 24GB | *NvME PRO 2To | HOTAS Warthog/Virpil | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Button Box

On 8/6/2021 at 1:23 PM, bies said:

If your map will be similar to existing ones it will have to compete with them for attention and this will decrease popularity of the new map

- find a niche to make your map the only choice.

There are  2 WWII maps (Normandy and Channel)

for  9  WWII modules existing and developed (Spitfire IX, P-47, P-51, Bf-109K, FW-190A, FW-190D, I-16) + (Mosquito, F4U-1)

There are 5 modern maps (Hormuz Strait, Syria, Nevada, Caucasus, Marianas)

for  10  2005-2010 modules (F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, Ka-50, JF-17, AV-8B ) + (Kiowa, AH-64, EF, Strike Eagle)

There are  0 (zero) Cold War maps

for  28  Cold War [from Korea to Desert Storm] modules (MiG-15bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, MiG-21bis, F-5E, L-39, C-101, F-14A, Mi-24, Gazelle, Mi-8, Huey) + (Mirage F.1, Fiat G.91, MiG-23MLA, MiG-17, A-6 Intruder, A-7 Corsair, Bolkov 105, Sea Harrier, MiG-29A, Su-17, F-8 Crusader) + low fidelity A-10A, Su-25A, Su-27S, F-15C, MiG-29A

Conclusions is obvious: about 2/3 of all DCS modules - released and during development - represent Cold War era and they have at this point 0 (zero) proper maps, this period is massively underrepresented. 

If you make any of Korea, Vietnam, Fulda Gap, North Europe divided Germany etc. proper Cold War map - your map will be an obvious and practically the only possible choice for the most of DCS existing and developed modules.

Good points. I pushed the Baltic map, as quite a few other for those exact reasons. Nearly every aircraft in DCS at one point or another has flown over this area either in anger or during times of relative peace.

Spitfires flew in both RAF recce roles and Soviet colors. BF-109's in both Finnish and German colors. I-16 by both Finns and Soviets. 

Each and every one of the more modern types you mention has been or is currently flown around the Baltics and Northern Europe. F5's by Norway, Viggen by Swedes, Migs by WarPac, Soviets, Finns and Russians etc etc.

The terrain ranges from high mountains, deep fjords to 68000 some islands and same number of lakes in Finland. Tundra and low fjells in the north. Incidentally, RAF 151 Squadron operated up north during 1941 with operation Benedict. Commanded by the appropriately named Ramsbottom-Isherwood, it involved Hurricanes

Area saw some seriously heavy fighting on ground and in the air during winter war and WW2 in general. Flight detachment Kuhlmey basically provided critical assistance that kept Finland from being overrun in 1944... A campaign for the Fw190 perhaps. Battles that ranged from then Leningrad all the way to Gdansk. Detachment Kuhlmey - Wikipedia 

Combat raged from 1939 to 1945 West to East and then back on the Southern shore of Baltic, to the Karelian isthmus, lake Laatokka or Ladoga Ozero. There were some interesting sideshows with intensive air combat such as Hanko front battles Battle of Hanko (1941) - Wikipedia and the battles of the island in the Baltic. Suursaari saw it share of action and intensive aerial combat Battle of Suursaari - Wikipedia

Viggens intercepting SR-71's during cold war Cold War Showdown: The Swedish JA-37 Viggen vs The SR-71 Blackbird | The National Interest , Swedish Catalinas being shot down by soviet Mig's during the Cold War etc. Catalina affair - Wikipedia The list is very long and varied. Or the earlier incident of Finnish OH-ALL Kaleva, a JU-52 being shot down between the winter and continuation wars. Kaleva (airplane) - Wikipedia

Currently Baltics are a hive of activity with Russian aircraft transiting Kaliningrad to Russia with Finns, Swedes, Poles and BAP missions intercepting daily from Bases in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Baltic Air Policing - Wikipedia

Basically this area is relevant for nearly all the aircraft types, up to the Mosquito that also saw service over the western parts of the Baltic and the rather famous Oslo raid, overshadowed by the Amiens raid. Oslo Mosquito raid - Wikipedia

The area is also relatively small. I took this pic some years ago. Kaunas to the west, St.Petersburg to the east. Range is 320nm. Roughly just under 600km. 

For interesting reading, I suggest Crowded Skies.

IMG_3911.jpeg

Pic baltic.png

Edited by Baltic Pirate
added and edited
  • Like 2