Mission 14 - How am I supposed to survive this and destroy the target?

Sorry I can't hide being a bit frustrated atm...

Just tried this mission twice (with some use of time acceleration on the second try) and both times I get shot down by SAM's while lasing my target and just before my bombs hit their target..

So what's the deal here? Should one of my allied flights take care of the SAM's for me? Am I supposed to wait until the target area is cleared?

I really want to finish this awesome campaign, but I'm not really interested in another 40min transfer flight only to get shot down again. Am I allowed maybe to change to JDAM's? (so I can at least "fire and forget" and go defensive)

Also a bug report: I did the start of this mission 3 times now and all three times one of my allied flight members (sorry, forgot to check which one) plunges into the sea directly after catapulting from the carrier.

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ No war today... the enemy just called in sick ~ GUMMBAH

46 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Also a bug report: I did the start of this mission 3 times now and all three times one of my allied flight members (sorry, forgot to check which one) plunges into the sea directly after catapulting from the carrier.

That is a DCS World bug that's been reported, not specific to this campaign.

That last mission is very challenging. It is very hard and I have died many times. Lasing a target just makes you a sitting duck. It's not easy, and then F-5s start arriving on scene. The LGBs are for story purposes as Iran had a GPS jammer technology in the book. Better off lofting a dumb bomb off a radar target point if the target is that defended and GPS weapons won't do it.

Hey! 

The SAM is an old SA-2 that is normally pretty easy to dodge, unless something indeed is wrong and the safeguard for the SA-15 shooting earlier no longer works. I will check what is happening there and indeed if it is SA-15, I'll try to fix that. As rob says, the F-18s plunging into the sea is a DCS problem we are all waiting to get fixed... sorry for frustration and problems, as with most bugs reported some time after the campaign gets released these are usually things introduced with game updates changing the logic of different triggers, as - as you probably can imagine - everything used to work fine before...

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

6 hours ago, baltic_dragon said:

Hey! 

The SAM is an old SA-2 that is normally pretty easy to dodge, unless something indeed is wrong and the safeguard for the SA-15 shooting earlier no longer works. I will check what is happening there and indeed if it is SA-15, I'll try to fix that. As rob says, the F-18s plunging into the sea is a DCS problem we are all waiting to get fixed... sorry for frustration and problems, as with most bugs reported some time after the campaign gets released these are usually things introduced with game updates changing the logic of different triggers, as - as you probably can imagine - everything used to work fine before...

Thanks BD.

I'm not sure if I was shot down by the sa-6 or if the sa-15 was still up (I was to focused on getting my bombs on target).

Could I change to JDAM for this mission (even though it won't be true to the story), or would that break mission logic/triggers?

As for the AI diving into the sea, I could have guessed that was an ED issue. Must be frustrating for you too.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ No war today... the enemy just called in sick ~ GUMMBAH

• 1 month later...

I think you're referring to the SA-2 in the northeast, it will fire at you when you're close to the target area. 

my advise is after releasing one GBU, make a 45 degree turn to the left so the SA-2 will be on your 3 o'clock, keep lasering at the target and no need to do any defensive maneuver, only a few chaff will help you evade the missile. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 32G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 
  • Modules: F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria
  • Flight Hours: 400 (On Steam)

• 2 weeks later...