Forward observer and spotting where artillary rounds land

CA newbie here. Is there a simpler way of spotting where artillary rounds land in a MP server instead of using the LCntrl-f11 function? I've seen several CA YouTube vids where the youtuber seems to jump straight to a fixed location where the rounds land but I can't tell if that's just post video editing or the YouTuber using a snap view function or something similar. In one video, the youtuber referenced the use of a forward observer to help spot where the rounds land and even showed a dude stand within a few hundred yards from the target. Is there such a role or function in DCS? If not, is there a simple way to spot the target after firing a round so that you can make adjustments to aiming your ground unit?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hi. in SP is a matter you set some units in a hill close to the target, or just set a Helicopter close to the target in hover spotting the area.

In MP you can do it as well but you depend more of mission designer. The easiest way is with a buddy in an helicopter to do the observer and correct the artillery. So you are doing as team.

In case you are by yourself. you still can do the job. The only you gonna need is the mission map set as Allies only. Ones you spotted the enemy in a Ka-50 you can tell position by map position or in coords. in this case after you get the position you hit left ALt+ J and chose another slot for ground commander. You set orders for artillery and after that you select Ka-50 again. Doing so the Ka-50 unit will become AI when you switch to Artillery. You should correct the artillery shot quick to avoid the Ka-50 AI get downed. And so on you keep correcting artillery by yourself.

I made a mission you can test see attachment. Please use mortars only because Uragan have a bug I will report. 

artillery test.miz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all of the replies.

Ok, so it sounds like you do need a "forward observer" in MP or an allied unit (air or ground) in proximity to the target. This can be tricky in some instances if you don't have another player and are forced to place another ground unit nearby since enemy ground units often shoot at targets within visual range.

1 hour ago, Mr. Farknocker said:

Thanks for all of the replies.

Ok, so it sounds like you do need a "forward observer" in MP or an allied unit (air or ground) in proximity to the target. This can be tricky in some instances if you don't have another player and are forced to place another ground unit nearby since enemy ground units often shoot at targets within visual range.

keep in mind if you keep 0 speed in hovering the SAMs will not detect you at certain range. Also when you set the Artillery fire you can activate in the Artillery option the massage pop up to tell you the rounds have been shoot. Then you can make a quick climb with the helicopter to see the rounds landing, doing so you minimize time of exposure to SAMs

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]