DCS Updater Issue

For some reason I could not post in the bugs forum, so will post here and moderator can move to appropriate channel. 

The updater is bugged in the sense that it does not seem to remove or properly replace files. I have a 250gb SSD drive and only have Syria, F-16, Mariana's installed for modules. The latest patch when I tried to update stated 40+ GB which exceeded my storage capacity. 

I uninstalled the game and re-installed and with the same modules it only came to a total of 163GB which is below my total capacity. 

I understand my ssd is on the small end for this game especially if I ever bought more modules going forward, however if they could fix this issue it would prevent people with 250gb ssd's from having to uninstall and completely re-download the game everytime there is a fair sized patch. 

I think this is something that could be optimized and hope the team looks into this issue.

Thank you.

Edited by Veseroth
Spelling Correction

1. The real issue is you lacking free space on your disk. You probably forgot to mention that it also contain a system (Windows 10) but that's just a guess.

2. The updates are voluntary.

3. You can use symlink for a _download folder to another drive if you have one.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

31 minutes ago, draconus said:

1. The real issue is you lacking free space on your disk. You probably forgot to mention that it also contain a system (Windows 10) but that's just a guess.

2. The updates are voluntary.

3. You can use symlink for a _download folder to another drive if you have one.

No no I think you misunderstand if it was a lack of space issue uninstalling and re-downloading with exact same modules would still exceed my storage which it does not. It's something to do with the updater not removing files as it updates or something. 

It is not on the same SSD as my windows and others have reported the same issue and said uninstalling and re-installing was the fix that's a royale pain so hoping the updater can be fixed to clear old files and install the proper size. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you. Something similar happens to me.

In my case, I don't uninstall the whole game. I just remove the map of Syria, update the game, and then install the map of Syria again.

With that I have been "solving" this issue of the space used by the updater.

Ok, can you please upload autoupdate.log from root DCS install folder? It was not clear in the OP if the update gave you an error because of the lack of space.

Can you point me to other reports on the issue?

In case you want to clear the dowloaded files manually you can just purge the _download folder and all backup folders unless you find files that you need from there.

You have to understand that update is downloading a big chunk of files then it unpacks them and replace with the game files. After the process is done the download folder is purged. If you don't have enough room for the game and the update files you will face this error.

There are already methods to clean and repair the game files:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/709/

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I had the same thing after todays 2nd update that follows the wed update for Open Beta. it gave errors saying it could not delete some files,, and was a real PIA. after a bnch of tried and trying to run the updates 10x more and tried repairs,, it finally fixed the issues the updater has... it does not properly dlete files in updates... I don't have mods, it just gets messed up with the stock OpenBeta updates. I knew others have to be experiencing these issues. 

I usually use the SkateZilla utility.... but this time I had to try it without that affter it had issues 10x. I guess it is fixed now, but I wil not know until I fly and try different servers and missions.

Some of the files it complained about not being able to delete were files for aircraft I don't own. C-101, and the J-11 (I think it was the Chinese fighter...) It said it could not delete those files... after today supplement update for Open Beta. I bet there are many who fought their way through but didn't take the time out to report the issues.

• Like 1

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

• 3 weeks later...

here we go again, error messages when running updates ,, see attached snapshot.. cannot delete some files during updates. What is going on?

08-11-21_update_problems_Snap1.jpg

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

update.. fixed,, I didn't do anything other than  a bunch of restarts, stops, reboots, etc...

it finally was fixed somehow.

======

here we go again, error messages when running updates ,, see attached snapshot.. cannot delete some files during updates. What is going on?

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI