AI Takeoff fail Supercarrier/ F/A-18 splash !

RWC

Hello DCS Crew,

I have a serious issue regarding the takeoff of the AI aircraft. For this issue i have used a default qualifying training mission called carrier takefoff lesson. The planes drop in the water right after takeoff ! I have included a Trackfile and both logfiles , one after the repair and one after loading the mission. I have updated to the latest version and tried the repair option to see if the issue was fixed, but it was not. Also it seems some errors in the logfile regarding the catapult steam lua and some issues regarding the weapons and soundfiles.

I have no idea if the issue is caused by the Supercarrier or by the vanilla F/A-18.

Please have a look 

Kind regards,

RWC.

Carrier failed takeoff.trk dcs after repair.log dcs.log

• Like 1

Hi friends,

Just letting you know the DCS team is aware at the moment and probably working on it. It seems to be a issue with the max weight of the plane when fully loaded. Let's just wait a bit on the fix.

RWC.

Hi friends,

Just letting you know the DCS team is aware at the moment and probably working on it. It seems to be a issue with the max weight of the plane when fully loaded. Let's just wait a bit on the fix.

RWC.

2 hours ago, Nealius said:

The bug reports are not indicating max weight, though. This appears to happen at all weights, not just "when fully loaded."

This is my concern as well.  The moderators are locking all the bug threads about this, and thus preventing people from sharing this information.  Even with light CAP loadouts, they usually don't make it.  You can forget about any AI hauling any kind of bomb load off the boat at all.  No matter what, they always get a cat end speed of 120kts.

Basically, any kind of coordinated naval air ops is completely broken in DCS right now, unless a multiplayer mission with zero AI.  Shame, I was hoping to get a couple Liberation missions in this weekend.  I don't suppose anyone has figured out where the cat end speed value for AI is located (in a .lua etc.) and this could be easily fixed??

• Thanks 2

They've been locking all bug threads these days, preventing any opportunity for the community to:

1. Find workarounds or stopgap fixes until it's fixed by ED, which could be next month or next year.

2. Provide more data to help ED fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok, tested something I saw on another thread: I changed all my non-client "F/A-18C Block 20" aircraft to the basic AI Hornet, the "F/A-18C", in the mission editor.  Even with heavy bomb loads, the basic AI hornets can get off the deck without a problem.  

So this issue is specific to the complex modules being used as AI.  A bit of annoyance to go change their types and then re-arm them in the mission editor, but using the units list filtered by aircraft type, and creating basic saved payloads for them, makes it quick enough.  Only workaround I've found so far. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stearmandriver said:

Ok, tested something I saw on another thread: I changed all my non-client "F/A-18C Block 20" aircraft to the basic AI Hornet, the "F/A-18C", in the mission editor.  Even with heavy bomb loads, the basic AI hornets can get off the deck without a problem.  

So this issue is specific to the complex modules being used as AI.  A bit of annoyance to go change their types and then re-arm them in the mission editor, but using the units list filtered by aircraft type, and creating basic saved payloads for them, makes it quick enough.  Only workaround I've found so far. 

Thanks Stearmandriver,  I haven't been to the boat since the update yet but you saved me lots of time trying to figure out a band aid... and lots of colorful and loud 'monologues' :crash:

• Thanks 1

Same issue here, I can imagine the AI pilot's frustration. 

• Thanks 1
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

So after trying to start from the air , one can see the wingman and all other AI (F/A-18 Addon) loosing lift and lack of thrust. So it is defenatly a problem with the plane itself. Only the plane you are flying seems to responce to thrust, and all others are batteling to stay airborn or climb, even when set to a airspeed of 430 Kts , the planes remain around 140 kts, tilted nose up above 10 degrees, at an altitiude of 3000 Ft.

The is no use flying with a wingman , and as suggested to change the other aircraft to stock aircraft from the Bazaar liveries.

The problem has not been fixed yet after the last update.

We wait and and postpone all flights.... 😞

Edited by RWC
Typing error
  • Like 1

I have noticed that it isn't just takeoffs, I watched an AI Hornet attempt to rejoin with the recovery tanker. After turning in he bleeds speed down to 115 kts and gets stuck. Literally just falls out of the sky from 6000ft. Plenty of gas, this occurs just after take off. Never plugs the blower in, just sits there at high AoA, 116kts or so, chasing the tanker and falling out of the sky until splash. I'll try and grab a .trk file. Something screwy is going on and it's not just take off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After my post a lot of you have experianced the issue in one way or another. I am sure they will come up with a fix soon and working on it. It seems this issue is only on the Beta version.

I have recently cleared my install to the stable version, on advise from a member, and there this issue is not happening. Everything is working again as it should and i'm airborn again enjoying flights !

2 hours ago, Ginsu80 said:

I have noticed that it isn't just takeoffs, I watched an AI Hornet attempt to rejoin with the recovery tanker. After turning in he bleeds speed down to 115 kts and gets stuck. Literally just falls out of the sky from 6000ft. Plenty of gas, this occurs just after take off. Never plugs the blower in, just sits there at high AoA, 116kts or so, chasing the tanker and falling out of the sky until splash. I'll try and grab a .trk file. Something screwy is going on and it's not just take off.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:39 AM, prichardgs said:

Well I hope they fix this soon -can't really fly any campaigns now if I'm using a hornet.

I have actually shelved DCS for now due to this issue.  I like flying liberation missions off the carrier, and that simply can't be done right now unless you're going either all MP, or single ship (I've realized that switching from block 20 Hornets to the default fixes the cat end speed, but invariably one will lock up on the cat and gridlock the whole deck.)

Between these issues and the Tomcat problems, the entirety of naval aviation using any AI in the beta is currently hard broke.  I would think this would warrant a hotfix...

• Like 4