Jump to content

Feedback Thread - Tomcat Patch 07-21-2021


IronMike
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, IronMike said:

 

Let me put your mind at rest that it has 100% nothing, but absolutely zero, to do with the delays with the Tomcat. None whatsoever. 🙂

Thank you for the response.  As always, your generous feedback and relationship with us on the forums is greatly appreciated.

 

I would really like to believe you...so you are saying that everyone from Cobra on down who has worked on the Tomcat is still only working on the Tomcat at this time until it is completed?  Sorry for my skepticism...I am very wary since what happened with ED and the Hornet/Viper.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Donut said:

Thank you for the response.  As always, your generous feedback and relationship with us on the forums is greatly appreciated.

 

I would really like to believe you...so you are saying that everyone from Cobra on down who has worked on the Tomcat is still only working on the Tomcat at this time until it is completed?  Sorry for my skepticism...I am very wary since what happened with ED and the Hornet/Viper.

 

No, and of course that has never been the case exclusively. Cobra in particular, as our lead artist, and CEO, is working on way more than just the Tomcat. The Viggen, for one, leading the company for the other, etc. But in general our coders and also other artists work on different projects, while at the same time they will be helping each other and may or may not work on other modules - especially when general issues can be solved that benefit all modules or if their expertise is needed on a certain subject, etc. In the case of the EF, from our side, at this point, the work has just started, and simply had no bearing on the Tomcat at all. Moreover, the expanse of the team is now bringing also new forces to the Tomcat. These guys will of course also work on our new modules, but at the same time new capacity will be added to the old Tomcat team (which isn't working and will not be working on the new modules at all at least until the Tomcat is finished, or if it does not benefit all modules at the same time).

Some of the delays are also related to restructuring our coding processes, so that our modules can get streamlined in development better for the future, this means: to make sure that achievements or technologies developed for one module can advance the process on new modules better (and faster), but also things that get developed for new modules can get retrofitted to older modules, to improve them, their performance and so on and so forth.

Naturally we all sit in the "same room", and naturally we all help each other when need arises, and it isn't always completely clean cut. But our teams have their main focuses and in general keep their focus, unless it is an item that can simply be solved quicker by someone. The reality is that the new guys on the team helped us tremendously to advance some issues that have been lingering with the Tomcat, so if anything it advanced the sprint towards full release, rather than slowing it down. 🙂

Maybe think of it a bit like two mechanics working in a shop, each one repairing/building a different car, and one guy screams across the hall "hey, can you throw me that wrench quick, pls?" and the other guy going "sure" while chucking it over...


Edited by IronMike
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

 

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

 

http://www.heatblur.com/

 

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, IronMike said:

 

No, and of course that has never been the case exclusively. Cobra in particular, as our lead artist, and CEO, is working on way more than just the Tomcat. The Viggen, for one, leading the company for the other, etc. But in general our coders and also other artists work on different projects, while at the same time they will be helping each other and may or may not work on other modules - especially when general issues can be solved that benefit all modules or if their expertise is needed on a certain subject, etc. In the case of the EF, from our side, at this point, the work has just started, and simply had no bearing on the Tomcat at all. Moreover, the expanse of the team is now bringing also new forces to the Tomcat. These guys will of course also work on our new modules, but at the same time new capacity will be added to the old Tomcat team (which isn't working and will not be working on the new modules at all at least until the Tomcat is finished, or if it does not benefit all modules at the same time).

Some of the delays are also related to restructuring our coding processes, so that our modules can get streamlined in development better for the future, this means: to make sure that achievements or technologies developed for one module can advance the process on new modules better (and faster), but also things that get developed for new modules can get retrofitted to older modules, to improve them, their performance and so on and so forth.

Naturally we all sit in the "same room", and naturally we all help each other when need arises, and it isn't always completely clean cut. But our teams have their main focuses and in general keep their focus, unless it is an item that can simply be solved quicker by someone. The reality is that the new guys on the team helped us tremendously to advance some issues that have been lingering with the Tomcat, so if anything it advanced the sprint towards full release, rather than slowing it down. 🙂

Maybe think of it a bit like two mechanics working in a shop, each one repairing/building a different car, and one guy screams across the hall "hey, can you throw me that wrench quick, pls?" and the other guy going "sure" while chucking it over...

 

Thank you again...myself as well as everyone else will find your comments extremely enlightening and also reassuring.  
 

I will put my tinfoil hat away and stop playing devils advocate.  
 

Keep up the incredible work and thank you. 

 

  • Like 2

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Alphabet_Ghost said:

Will KA-6 and A-6 be released together? question from my friend, LoL.

 

Not entirely sure at this point. It depends how much (or little) effort it will be to make the tanker, thus it is possible that the A-6 comes first and the KA-6 a tad later.

 

3 minutes ago, Donut said:

Thank you again...myself as well as everyone else will find your comments extremely enlightening and also reassuring.  
 

I will put my tinfoil hat away and stop playing devils advocate.  
 

Keep up the incredible work and thank you. 

 

 

Anytime my friend, and if you have more questions, please never hesitate to ask. We'll always try to tell you as much as we can. Honestly it sucks a bit that we cannot do something like an "open doors day", where we could just invite you guys to walk through our offices and show you "here we do this, here we do that" etc, due to the nature of our work. I would really love that, but instead we can try to explain to you what you guys want to know as best as we can. It is definitely our great pleasure to keep you all in the loop as much as we can. 🙂


Edited by IronMike
  • Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

 

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

 

http://www.heatblur.com/

 

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IronMike said:


It is very simple to explain that: we fixed what you quoted in the bold text from not working at all to working again. Nothing has been changed about the way we do it. The bug was that what you quote just didn't work at all for a while, and now, after the fix, it does again. That is all. No box was made bigger, no flankers were harmed in the process, and we are still not trying to make the missile into an uber MiG-Schreck, that is developed to haunt your dreams. Really, you are way too paranoid about this. We are interested in realistic as possible simulations, and nothing else. And I am not saying this to put you down, but to put your mind at rest. 🙂

At the same time I would like to remind everyone to stay kind to each other please! Thank you!


FC3 aircraft still are not getting RWR from phoenix so they get hurt everyday >_< 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IronMike said:


It is very simple to explain that: we fixed what you quoted in the bold text from not working at all to working again. 

 

Great to here this has been fixed ... lots of 54s have been going stupid, never to be seen again 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Honestly it sucks a bit that we cannot do something like an "open doors day", where we could just invite you guys to walk through our offices and show you "here we do this, here we do that" etc, due to the nature of our work.

Just throwing ideas out there… Would it not be possible to do a short video maybe once a month or once a quarter as a virtual tour of things going on at HB? Might be a better format for teasing work in progress than the community update forum posts.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, r4y30n said:

Might be a better format for teasing work in progress than the community update forum posts.

Oh no, please keep the forum posts.

  • Like 2

🖥️ i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX970 4GB, SSD SATA3   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B   🚢 Supercarrier    🌍 NTTR, PG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, everyone in here that is reaching down Heatblurs throats about estimates and such just needs to stop. Seriously. So many people act like this is an easy thing to do, like "File -> Make F-14B" Well, news flash: I isn't that simple.

 

Sure, some teams can knock out a new feature in no time at all, for a mod. The difference is that mods are not held to the same standard as paid modules. The sheer amount of work it takes to make even a Fokker D.1 Triplane a full fidelity module is absolutely staggering. And we are the ones responsible for that. Sure, ED may set a bar for themselves, but the 3rd Party Devs have to do better, with less resources, and even less time per day to work on it. Heatblur, Razbam, all of them do this as a passion project, and not for a full time job like ED Staff do.

 

Be glad we're getting free stuff as it is. I get that everyone is antsy to get their mits on these toys, I am too. But we have to let HB work on the project until it's ready to go.

 

That being said... Heatblur I will load a Tomcats fuel tanks worth of cash onto Cat1 the second you guys open the Intruder and Typhoon up for pre-order!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just glad the super swept static wings are finally fixed. 

Specs & Wishlist:

 

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus Xi Hero, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3200, Asus RoG Strix 2070 OC, 1TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

 

Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be fair, its more like add a new feature (although not always the one we individually want), fix 4-5, and break 1 ... That's the nature of complex development and working in a constantly evolving ecosystem. 🙂

 

Any update on when we are likely to see the FM fixes?!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Kula66 said:

Be fair, its more like add a new feature (although not always the one we individually want), fix 4-5, and break 1 ... That's the nature of complex development and working in a constantly evolving ecosystem. 🙂

 

Any update on when we are likely to see the FM fixes?!

 

Soon(tm)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, r4y30n said:


Just throwing ideas out there… Would it not be possible to do a short video maybe once a month or once a quarter as a virtual tour of things going on at HB? Might be a better format for teasing work in progress than the community update forum posts.

 

We would never toss the community update forum posts, although I like your idea. The problem with videos is that they cost us a tremendous amount of time and take away from the development, as we cannot just make them so/so, it goes completely against our nature. This is why we make videos only for bigger announcements, trailers, etc... Even if Adrian makes them for us, instead of Cobra, they still require a lot of focus from other guys who would else be working on progressing things, and need directing, etc etc. Finally, when not focusing in a structured manner on a selection of issue or single topic, they could also be more confusing than enlightening. Making such videos in a way that it really benefits your better understanding, is a lot of planning, structuring, re-structuring, editing, narrating, etc etc... OTOH if you have a particular question, it is rather simple and quick for us to give a straight answer in writing.

 

3 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:


FC3 aircraft still are not getting RWR from phoenix so they get hurt everyday >_< 

 

We have a big MP test today to look into the issue. Usually RWR showing something or not is on the side of the concerned module's rwr, rather on the side of what should show up on it, so not sure yet whether this is really on us, or on ED in case of FC3 aircraft. Either way, the tests will point us in the right direction and then either us can fix it, or we can advise ED to fix it. Don't worry, we haven't forgotten about it. 🙂


Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

 

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

 

http://www.heatblur.com/

 

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kula66 said:

Any update on when we are likely to see the FM fixes?!

 

We are getting there, but it is still a bit out. It just a very, very complex issue that opened not one, but several cans of worms that all need to be put back to where they came from now. FMs are incredibly intertwined, and when you adjust one variable, it can topple all others in ways you didn't even imagine before. This is primarily why it takes us so long to fix it now. Thank you for your very kind patience!


Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

 

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

 

http://www.heatblur.com/

 

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Skysurfer said:

Again, did any of the hotfixes make it into yesterday's hotfix? Texture issues in the cockpit and the helmet rail for example?

 

Viggen intakes would have been fixed, the flags in the cockpit for gears, flaps etc, the coop versions for the campaigns have been re-added. The helmet rails I do not know whether @ensamvarg and/or @Cobra847 managed to put back in. It was such a "last minute" hotfix that we didnt even manage to make a changelog yet. We should have it up by today, I will check.

  • Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

 

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

 

http://www.heatblur.com/

 

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IronMike said:

 

Viggen intakes would have been fixed, the flags in the cockpit for gears, flaps etc, the coop versions for the campaigns have been re-added. The helmet rails I do not know whether @ensamvarg and/or @Cobra847 managed to put back in. It was such a "last minute" hotfix that we didnt even manage to make a changelog yet. We should have it up by today, I will check.

 

Ok, thanks. I just found it weird to see the helmet rail fix mentioned in the changelog and then not actually seeing it in the files/in game. Something which I personally reported almost a year ago and was eager to see fixed, since the new pilot models are still ways out by the sound of it. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

 

Ok, thanks. I just found it weird to see the helmet rail fix mentioned in the changelog and then not actually seeing it in the files/in game. Something which I personally reported almost a year ago and was eager to see fixed, since the new pilot models are still ways out by the sound of it. 🙂 

 

The issue was that @ensamvarg did fix it, but we have this issue with our testbuilding system, that we get black wings, black TCS and other black surfaces in our testbuilds, so we mistook the fix actually for a building bug, and excluded it again by mistake without checking with Ensamvarg before - hence the changelog entry without the actual fix. It is an iffy process, to avoid giving you guys black textures with every update. For some reason we haven't found a fix in 2 years for the building process and also have no idea why it does that, and rather than wasting time on fixing that (because during tests black wings dont matter really for us), we carefully exclude the files that get corrupted from updates. It's just that this time we mistook an actual fix (which added the black albedo) for the bug, is all.

EDIT: just confirmed @Skysurfer - the helmet fix did not make it in, unfortunately, there was too little time for that. It will be included in the August patch. Sorry about that.


Edited by IronMike
  • Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

 

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

 

http://www.heatblur.com/

 

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:


FC3 aircraft still are not getting RWR from phoenix so they get hurt everyday >_< 

 

We just tested all FC3 aircraft both STT and TWS shots aim54 on FC3 aircraft, and it gave an RWR warning 100% of the time. Whether or not this is happening under certain circumstances, with full servers, in dead angles (which is normal), or simply by some desync issue we couldn't tell without seeing any actual proof of it - again this doesn't mean we do not believe you, but when trying to reproduce it simply works 100% of the time on our end. If you think this could be desync related, then please post a bug report to ED, as this would be an issue completely out of our hands. Sorry if this is disappointing news.

if you have any material that can show us what is happening that would help of course. Until now, all we hear is claims, and again, we believe them, but we cannot follow up on them like this. Thank you!

Heatblur Simulations

 

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

 

http://www.heatblur.com/

 

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...