Special Forces Debate

diveplane

in terms of special forces , just my opinion the british SAS are the best in the world,

formed during ww2 to drop behind german lines for sabotage missions and cause general havok. many of the concepts and tatics are used by other world special forces units that where formed and adopted by the sas.

CQB =close quaters battle , house clearing is the sas units specialty , for this task they came up with the flash bang grenade.

this was used in great effect during the 1980 iranian embassy seige in london, where the sas unit stormed the building cleared it of terrorists, while being watched by millions world wide on the tv.

also loved the story off bravo two zero ,sas unit from the first iraqi war, the mission went terribaly wrong for the unit. , one of the troopers, chris ryan yomped 200 miles into neutral syria..

in 8 days i think it was, incredible will power and determination .

sas are not some super hero men , they look for men with guts.

screen here sas trooper

http://www.stuff.themutual.net/mainpic2.jpg

video clip of the siege in 1980

Edited by diveplane

in terms of special forces , just my opinion the british SAS are the best in the world

also loved the story off bravo two zero ,sas unit from the first iraqi war, the mission went terribaly wrong for the unit. , one of the troopers, chris ryan yomped 200 miles into neutral syria..

in 8 days i think it was, incredible will power and determination .

I don't think it's possible to judge which special unit is "the best" and if such comparisons make sense at all. For example: ask the US Marines (of course USMC are not SpecOps but still...) who is "teh man"... :lol: But I certainly agree that SAS operators are elite.

Regarding the Bravo Two Zero. I'm not questioning these men, but I hope you are aware that there are different accounts of this mission (distance, enemies killed etc.) and some serious doubts involved.

I love the new thread idea Groove. :)

So 2 quick videos worth watching imho:

1. The original thread was about Serbian exercises, so here is a cool movie about Serbian JSO SpecOps Unit. Bus & Train entry ways are awesome. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N_xiE4eo_o

2. SpecOps + pilot skills - Chinook Pinnacle Landing - Afghanistan, SEALs pick-up if I'm correct:

I hope you like it.

Yeah, JSO was a great unit. Too bad they got drawn into use for politics and in the end dismantled. A new unit was formed however, with some former members of JSO, that were not compromised.

The history of special forces in Yugoslavia begins in late 80s. Some foreign official was visiting, and the army officers wanted to show off how great and modern the army was. So, they teamed up a dozen of people from the regular army who had experience in martial arts, they trained together for a week, and were showed to the foreigner. Naturally, they said: "See, that is how our entire army trains" :D

Before that there was no need for special forces. Sadly, since then that need has grown, and so has the level that SF maintain.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

How about the South African Recces who faught in the Angolan Civil war against the MPLA OF Angola,Cubans and East German and Soviet Advisors.

Was regarded then as one of the best bush fighting units in the world.

To INVENT an Airplane is Nothing.

To BUILD One is Something.

But to FLYis EVERYTHING.

- Otto Lilienthal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vympel is not Speznaz.

AFAIK - Spetznaz is not a group. The term is used to describe (Russian) Special Forces. So Vympel, Alpha and other units can be considered as Spetsnaz (or a part of it). Correct me if I'm wrong.

But the photo fits good to this topic, even so. ;)

Edited by Jascha

Many people forgot about the Austrian "JAGDKOMMANDO" http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOOpZFQTZw :thumbup:

the won couple special forces tournaments against SAS, Navy Seals, Green Barrets etc..! The also come to Austria for mountain training and survive tactics. Like the US-Airforce with the UH-60 Blackhawks to train over here.

Edited by MoGas

• 2 years later...

This question has been raised (and, er, debated (the polite term)) on the interweb countless times before.

It really depends on the theatre, the situation, the opfor, the roe, what they had for breakfast, and if they tied their laces clockwise or counter clockwise.

I think the general grudging agreement is that any SF are tough mofos and that any SF would perform to roughly the same degree given a situation It's as much as the individual soldier as the training.

If you want hardcore, then look no further than these bunch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selous_Scouts

These guys were the cream, when modern day Zimbabwe was called Rhodesia.

I know piting 1 group of SF against another and saying that X SF are the greatest is a totally dumb thing to do, but supposdly these guys were the West's top group back in the day.

If I recall, less than a 100 of them went in to a rebel compound disguised as rebels, the compound was filled with upto 4000+ armed rebels and they wiped the majority of them out.

To walk into the middle of a group of 4000 armed nutters with only 80 or so of your own people and to win that fight takes balls.

I don't think it's possible to judge which special unit is "the best" and if such comparisons make sense at all. For example: ask the US Marines (of course USMC are not SpecOps but still...) who is "teh man"... :lol: But I certainly agree that SAS operators are elite.

Regarding the Bravo Two Zero. I'm not questioning these men, but I hope you are aware that there are different accounts of this mission (distance, enemies killed etc.) and some serious doubts involved.

:smilewink: ricytickyrecon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfC6QvnXsyY