Markindel's USS Iowa, Late War Vietnam/Korea

Hawkeye60

Markindel's USS Iowa, Late War Vietnam/Korea

This mod is a re-make of Mario's original Iowa.

It came about due to the Inspiration, help, and texture work of crazyeddie!

He has left a few surprises inside for you to discover!

We added flight decks.

They are spawn able!

Fully armed!

And great FUN!

As a added bonus, I included The Gyrodyne QH-50 DASH!

This is a remote controlled helo platform, used in Korea/Vietnam!

ai only.

We hope you find use for, and enjoy using them!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kro8oghfkidvecf/USS Iowa Class Late War - Korea V 2.7.3.rar?dl=0

Up-date 31/8/2021

This version comes to you from near_blind. who has taken the initiative to edit the weapons lua to more closely

match real life on a 1980 Iowa class Battleship.

All guns have been adjusted.

He also added Harpoons and Tomahawks to round out the package!

As this model did not come with missile launchers, they currently fire from the side guns.

I do plan on adding the correct launcher models in a future up-date.

For now, we wanted to get her in your hands, and on your drives!

She is perfect for the modern maps we have in sim.

His comments,

"This should have all the tweaks I made to the Iowas if you're satisfied with them, they slice, they dice, they kill tanks from 20 miles away, and I actually watched one shoot down a harrier that got a little too frisky with the target area using the main battery.

I split it into five ships and removed some of the models that didn't seem to be doing much
Iowa 1950: Basically the WWII Iowa using the model with the catapults removed and the WW2 skins
New Jersey 1967: Uses the modern model with the early helipad skin, has all the 20 and 40mm guns removed but can go a blistering 2.2 knots faster to compensate
Iowa 82: Modern skin with Phalanx, TASM, TLAM and Harpoon."

So there you have it!

We hope you enjoy them!

Cheers!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn2bk5nr8vrjipj/USS Iowa Class Korea - 1980 V 2.7.5.zip?dl=0

Screen-210830-055905.png

Screen-210830-060324.png

Screen-210830-064327.png

Screen-210830-064545.png

Screen-210830-061521.png

Screen-210830-063048.png

Screen_210721_065127.png

Screen_210721_065028.png

Screen_210721_090918.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Hawkeye60
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Excellent, hopefully it can coexist with the WW2 version, to minimize mod-swapping between missions 🙂

Thanks a lot both to @Markindel and yourself 🙏

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

40 minutes ago, _billythekid_ said:

Quick question, if i wanted to make a skin for one of the iowa class BBs, what folder do I place or create for the skin to show up in game?

You can place it inside the User Mods files, that way they are only loaded when you enable the User Mod:

\Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta\Mods\tech\Iowa Class Late War - Korea\Liveries\missouri

\Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta\Mods\tech\Iowa Class Late War - Korea\Liveries\new_jersey

\Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta\Mods\tech\Iowa Class Late War - Korea\Liveries\winsconsin

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

13 minutes ago, _billythekid_ said:

So I have placed the livery i made but no liveries are showing up? 

On the ME, use the "USS Winsconsin Late" ship instead. Or, for the Korea version the livery folder path is:

\Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta\Mods\tech\Iowa Class Late War - Korea\Liveries\winsconsin_korea

• Like 1

@Hawkeye60, Shot in the dark. As a way to learn DCS weapons configuration, I went through the WWII version of the BBs and added actual 16'' ammunition and guns, and replaced all the other weapons (5'', 40mm, 20mm) with the existing DCS definitions rather than the Italian BB values. I'm more than happy to share the work I did if you want it.

• Thanks 2

Yes please!  near_blind, Please do!

We  are always looking to improve these ships.

PM me. I will test and if all is well, up-date the mods and link.

Cheers!

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

With a big thanks to near_blind,

I will be up-dating the Iowa's for both the late war versions,

And the WWII versions!

Coming soon after a shake down sea  trial.

The Korea,and  late 80's now have Harpoons!

And he has adjusted the weapons to more closely match the periods.

Just as in RL!

Stay tuned!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First Post up-dated!

Goodness from near_blind!

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

But my question is : are these Mods only for DCS 2.7.x ?

They should work in all current builds,

Does this Iowa have anti-ship Tomahawks?

In code only,

They do work.

Are there plans to add the enclosed bridge? Is it even possible?

See below.

However,

There is another one which has just started development.

It will be correct in most respects to the 1980's version.

Weapons models as well.

A ways off.

FYI

Thanks for your support!

• Like 1

Hi Hawkeye ,

Thanks for this superb battleship ! Awesome ! 👏

I've tried to land an AI helo on the aft flight deck of the Iowa 80,  with no success so far, neither for take-off.

The mission editor doesn't accept that, sadly.

So, I was wondering if there could be some required update for that, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Toan

Edited by toan

@toan See PM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scotty, there is a Predator MQ-9 Predator drone Mod from Eric and Patrick Cuesta... The only flyable and armed drone that I am aware of in DCS. It's fitted with a TV pilot station on he ground. 😀 Fly low...

Edited by toan