Something to read while you are waiting "Apache over Libya"

whiteladder

If you fancy something to get you ready for the Apache I can't recommend "Apache over Libya" highly enough.

Written by Will Laidlaw who was the CO of 4 British Army Apache's deployed to the Helicopter assault ship Hms Ocean in the summer of 2011.

What started as a 6 week training deployment to the Med, to refine the types use on board ships turned into full on involvement in the Civil war in Libya. 

With 116 targets destroyed and numerous ProGad soldiers engaged with the cannon the small force was in the thick of the action. 

Engaged by SA-24 manpads, locked up by SA-6 and SA-5 this was a different fight than the highly experienced pilots were use to in Helmand where dominance in the air was the norm. Its a totally different read than say Apache dawn.

The missions are described in detail, the careful planning to get through the dangerous costal zone, the attacks and the hair raising trips back to a ship that isn't always where it is supposed to be. Even has the YouTube links to the footage from the missions you are reading about.

Great read, loads of useful insight of how to fight an Apache, flying from a carrier, what's not to loved about this book.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whiteladder said:

If you fancy something to get you ready for the Apache I can't recommend "Apache over Libya" highly enough.

Written by Will Laidlaw who was the CO of 4 British Army Apache's deployed to the Helicopter assault ship Hms Ocean in the summer of 2011.

What started as a 6 week training deployment to the Med, to refine the types use on board ships turned into full on involvement in the Civil war in Libya. 

With 116 targets destroyed and numerous ProGad soldiers engaged with the cannon the small force was in the thick of the action. 

Engaged by SA-24 manpads, locked up by SA-6 and SA-5 this was a different fight than the highly experienced pilots were use to in Helmand where dominance in the air was the norm. Its a totally different read than say Apache dawn.

The missions are described in detail, the careful planning to get through the dangerous costal zone, the attacks and the hair raising trips back to a ship that isn't always where it is supposed to be. Even has the YouTube links to the footage from the missions you are reading about.

Great read, loads of useful insight of how to fight an Apache, flying from a carrier, what's not to loved about this book.

Awesome, thanks for the heads-up...always after new books 😀.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the recommendation. Haven't heard about this book so far, so this is great to know. I've read Apache Dawn and @Ed Macy's books, so I will definitely read that one as well!

Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ordered, thanks for the recommendation.

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:

Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.

Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.

My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.

VR Driver system:

I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3

[code][code][code][code]

[/code][/code][/code][/code]200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

Thanks for the rec, ordered. No intention of purchasing the Apache at all lol,  but do enjoy a good operators account in a machine like this.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]