P-47D-40-RA "Tallahassee Lassie" walkaround album

An excellent photo album of a wonderful P-47 restoration including detailed cockpit images can be found here: Facebook.

You can also access the Facebook album via Randy's Warbird Profiles: P-47-40-RA Thunderbolt. (There are fewer photos on the website).

Many of the photos are also here: Republic P-47D-40-RA Thunderbolt – History, Culture, Arts, Technology by Randall Malmstrom (wordpress.com)

This was a serendipitous discovery for me. Randy Malmstrom's name came up in my newsfeed because I work at Malmstrom AFB, named for Randy's cousin Col. Einar Axel Malmstrom.

I found this image particularly interesting because of the red cover on the rocket selector.

P-47D-40 with rocket control.jpg

Edited by Thunderbolt Lightfoot
  • Like 3

thanks OP, great stuff!

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

21 hours ago, Thunderbolt Lightfoot said:

An excellent photo album of a wonderful P-47 restoration including detailed cockpit images can be found here: Facebook.

You can also access the Facebook album via Randy's Warbird Profiles: P-47-40-RA Thunderbolt. (There are fewer photos on the website).

Many of the photos are also here: Republic P-47D-40-RA Thunderbolt – History, Culture, Arts, Technology by Randall Malmstrom (wordpress.com)

This was a serendipitous discovery for me. Randy Malmstrom's name came up in my newsfeed because I work at Malmstrom AFB, named for Randy's cousin Col. Einar E. Malmstrom.

I found this image particularly interesting because of the red cover on the rocket selector.

P-47D-40 with rocket control.jpg

That red switch might jettison the bazooka tubes.

Check this thread out:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/266167-jettison-bazooka-tubes/?do=findComment&comment=4727898

Also just noticed the primer switch next to the starter switch!

I guess instead of manually pumping a few times you just flip the switch for a few seconds!!!  That’s pretty neat!

Edited by Barrett_g

Posted (edited)

I've seen the primer switch in the early P-47N Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions too, in illustrations showing what I think is a P-47N-1 panel because the electric bomb release panel under the parking brake is also shown (ie, not the HVAR counter). The illustrations in the P-47N PFOI and training manual do not have the primer pump handle. 

I've also noticed an empty hole next to the starter on P-47D-30-RA S/N 44-32691, an airframe produced at the same Evansville, Indiana plant as the P-47D-40-RA series. That's only an observation...not a conclusive statement about primer switches equipped in either variant. But as similar as the P-47D-40 was in many regards to the early P-47N blocks, I think it is very likely that the P-47D-40 should have an electric primer. Interestingly it seems the D-40 should also have the primer pump handle -- which I'm basing on surviving P-47D-40s including 44-90368 (displayed as P-47D-30 "Tarheel Hal") pictured below. Restorations are a tricky reference though.

P-47_Thurnderbolt_002.jpg

Edited by Thunderbolt Lightfoot

3 hours ago, Thunderbolt Lightfoot said:

I've seen the primer switch in the early P-47N Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions too, in illustrations showing what I think is a P-47N-1 panel because the electric bomb release panel under the parking brake is also shown (ie, not the HVAR counter). The illustrations in the P-47N PFOI and training manual do not have the primer pump handle. 

I've also noticed an empty hole next to the starter on P-47D-30-RA S/N 44-32691, an airframe produced at the same Evansville, Indiana plant as the P-47D-40-RA series. That's only an observation...not a conclusive statement about primer switches equipped in either variant. But as similar as the P-47D-40 was in many regards to the early P-47N blocks, I think it is very likely that the P-47D-40 should have an electric primer. Interestingly it seems the D-40 should also have the primer pump handle -- which I'm basing on surviving P-47D-40s including 44-90368 (displayed as P-47D-30 "Tarheel Hal") pictured below. Restorations are a tricky reference though.

P-47_Thurnderbolt_002.jpg

Yeah it’s hard to pinpoint these changes on restorations… especially flying examples.

Was the electric primer added to the P-47D-40 towards the end of the European theater… was it added during the Pacific theater once the P-47N came out… was it added after WW2 altogether when the P-47’s were flown by ANG units… or was it added by a current day pilot to make flying a bit easier?

Have you seen the “No Guts No Glory” P-47’s cockpit?  It doesn’t resemble a historical P-47 at all!!!  They’ve modernized it quite a bit to make current day flying easier.  Kind of a shame, actually!