The f10 menu is sometimes unavailable

TheLongShanks

Are you using the communications menu keybind, usually \ ?

If so, try using the Pilot's radio trigger-Radio keybind

I've asked for this to be addressed in the following post, maybe you could add a comment so it is elevated and seen by ED

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jonsky7 said:

I've asked for this to be addressed in the following post, maybe you could add a comment so it is elevated and seen by ED

I'm having the same problem. I can not get the menu to show when in the air.

I have tried '\' as well as Right Alt+'\'  (which is bound to Radio Trigger - Radio).

I just figured it was work in progress being prerelease. Are you saying you're able to bring the menu up while in flight with the hind by using "RALT + \"   ?

1 minute ago, Dangerzone said:

I'm having the same problem. I can not get the menu to show when in the air.

I have tried '\' as well as Right Alt+'\'  (which is bound to Radio Trigger - Radio).

I just figured it was work in progress being prerelease. Are you saying you're able to bring the menu up while in flight with the hind by using "RALT + \"   ?

Usually yes, though I have once experienced the menu not opening when using the radio trigger binding. It took about 10 presses of the button I had assigned to the trigger to get the menu to open.

22 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

Good idea

• ED Team

Seems to be working fine for me, the communication menu can not be used when in the air, use the aircrafts mic switch when in the air

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Seems to be working fine for me, the communication menu can not be used when in the air, use the aircrafts mic switch when in the air

thanks

Could you please tell us why this is implemented this way? I mean why is there a need to handle those keys/switches diffently on the ground and airborne?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, Tom Kazansky said:

Could you please tell us why this is implemented this way? I mean why is there a need to handle those keys/switches diffently on the ground and airborne?

Because of the differences between "game" and "simulation" modes of DCS.

- "Communication" is a "game" keybinding which will only work if the mission/server has "easy communications" enabled.

- "Mic switch" is a "simulation" keybinding which will work in all cases, both in missions/servers with "easy communications" on and off. Also, it's resolved differently in all the aircraft, depending on the type and how it actually works in that given module.

There's nothing to argue against here. It's two different keybidings that are explained well in the manual.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

19 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

There's nothing to argue against here. It's two different keybidings that are explained well in the manual.

Well obviously there is if posts like these keep popping up.

They keybinding is called "communication menu" and not "ground crew communication" or "easy communication menu"

The problem is that is not consistent between all modules. Some modules it works all the time, some it doesn't work in flight.
You've either got to have it completely realistically implemented or not.

eg, on the ground in a hot helicopter, you'd still have to use a radio for the ground crew to hear you. Whether that be via intercom, which in some cases, like the Huey, you would have to select that, or by radio transmission.

My vote is just have the menu open when I press \, if I'm not on the correct radio, then the receiver doesn't hear me.

Edited by jonsky7

20 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

- "Communication" is a "game" keybinding which will only work if the mission/server has "easy communications" enabled.

wrong. it also works on the ground when easy comms are off. but not as soon as you are airborne.

EDIT: and on the ground it pretends to have the ability to contact the tower for different clearences but the tower does not listen to those requests, because the are never "sent" via radio. (all with easy comms off!)

nice discussion here:

Edited by Tom Kazansky

3 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

wrong. it also works on the ground when easy comms are off. but not as soon as you are airborne.

EDIT: and on the ground it pretends to have the ability to contact the tower for different clearences but the tower does not listen to those requests, because the are never "sent" via radio. (all with easy comms off!)

nice discussion here:

It will only work on the ground if the cockpit is opened up. If it´s closed, it´s not supposed to work. The reason is because in DCS, when you have your cockpit open, then the communication button/mic switch work as shouting out to ground-crew. This is also the case for the part that you edited. That´s why the tower will not receive anything. So yeah, that´s an exclusion if you will, but otherwise everything stands true to what I mentioned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

Well obviously there is if posts like these keep popping up.

They keybinding is called "communication menu" and not "ground crew communication" or "easy communication menu"

The problem is that is not consistent between all modules. Some modules it works all the time, some it doesn't work in flight.
You've either got to have it completely realistically implemented or not.

eg, on the ground in a hot helicopter, you'd still have to use a radio for the ground crew to hear you. Whether that be via intercom, which in some cases, like the Huey, you would have to select that, or by radio transmission.

My vote is just have the menu open when I press \, if I'm not on the correct radio, then the receiver doesn't hear me.

Posts keep popping up because few read the manual or check on beforehand. Just look at how many threads were spawned by Ka50 and the trim in it, all while being perfectly explained in the manual and from the devs here.

There is no difference between the modules, the only case being FC3 where that is the only way to communicate. Outside of FC3, everything is consistent. With that said, I can see how someone who´s new to DCS might struggle to see the difference, but again, the manual has it all.

You can either use the radio, or open up your door to talk to the ground crew directly. 

This is not a matter of a vote, it´s just how it is, and you would understand why its a really good system if you consider that both basic and advanced aviators fly here. Instead of working against it, just use what you learned here and start binding "mic switch" to all of your aircraft (except FC3, there you can only use Communications menu due to the simplistic nature of these aircraft), and remember to be on the right frequency. Problem solved.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

24 minutes ago, zerO_crash said:

It will only work on the ground if the cockpit is opened up. If it´s closed, it´s not supposed to work. The reason is because in DCS, when you have your cockpit open, then the communication button/mic switch work as shouting out to ground-crew. This is also the case for the part that you edited. That´s why the tower will not receive anything. So yeah, that´s an exclusion if you will, but otherwise everything stands true to what I mentioned.

my communication menu key (not radio switch) works on the ground to contact the ground crew with canopy closed as well. The sound of the voices are those via a radio device, not shouted. so there are two reasons the shouting-logic does not apply. (FA-18C, NTTR, easy comms off)

A third one: The menu shows me connections to my flightmembers (on the ground) that make no sense, for I won't shout "attack my target" on the ramp, canopy open or closed. And as soon as I'm airborne it is simply gone. That is not intuitive or logical to me.

6 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

There is no difference between the modules, the only case being FC3 where that is the only way to communicate. Outside of FC3, everything is consistent. With that said, I can see how someone who´s new to DCS might struggle to see the difference, but again, the manual has it all.

Are you playing the same game?

Communication menu opens in air using \ in:

A10C 

Harrier

Mirage
Viggen
F14
Gazelle

and those are just the ones I own, annnnd one of ED's own modules is in that list.

Why is it that there is always someone protesting against a change that would not effect them in the slightest? 

Edited by jonsky7

2 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

Are you playing the same game?

Communication menu opens in air using \ in:

A10C 

Harrier

Mirage
Viggen
F14
Gazelle

and those are just the ones I own, annnnd one of ED's own modules is in that list.

Why is it that there is always someone protesting against a change that would not effect them in the slightest? 

*We are flying the same simulator, yes.

Does that server/mission have easy communication enabled? Let me help you with the answer, yes. Otherwise, if it was off, you would not be able to open those menus with the "Communication menu"-button.

What is it about people not reading manuals and complaining about something that works really well, once you get into it? I do not understand what problems you have with it?

There are two things you check:

- Is it FC3-aircraft? (Yes - use the "Communications menu") (No - bind the "mic"-switch)

- Is the mission/server running "easy communications"? (Yes - doesn´t matter what key binding you use) (No - you have to use "mic"-switch, unless you are on the ground with doors open, but it´s not meant to be used this way, so scratch this last part)

Even so, the communications are in the middle of being updated. Let´s wait and see what comes out of it.

8 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

my communication menu key (not radio switch) works on the ground to contact the ground crew with canopy closed as well. The sound of the voices are those via a radio device, not shouted. so there are two reasons the shouting-logic does not apply. (FA-18C, NTTR, easy comms off)

A third one: The menu shows me connections to my flightmembers (on the ground) that make no sense, for I won't shout "attack my target" on the ramp, canopy open or closed. And as soon as I'm airborne it is simply gone. That is not intuitive or logical to me.

It´s not supposed to work that way. Do you happen to be running a singleplayer mission, and have the "Easy Communication" enabled in your own DCS-settings (not the mission settings)? Because that overrides the mission settings when you save the mission.

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 minutes ago, zerO_crash said:

Does that server/mission have easy communication enabled? Let me help you with the answer, yes. Otherwise, if it was off, you would not be able to open those menus with the "Communication menu"-button.

What is it about people not reading manuals and complaining about something that works really well, once you get into it? I do not understand what problems you have with it?

There are two things you check:

- Is it FC3-aircraft? (Yes - use the "Communications menu") (No - bind the "mic"-switch)

- Is the mission/server running "easy communications"? (Yes - doesn´t matter what key binding you use) (No - you have to use "mic"-switch, unless you are on the ground with doors open, but it´s not meant to be used this way, so scratch this last part)

Even so, the communications are in the middle of being updated. Let´s wait and see what comes out of it.

It´s not supposed to work that way. Do you happen to be running a singleplayer mission, and have the "Easy Communication" enabled in your own DCS-settings (not the mission settings)? Because that overrides the mission settings when you save the mission.

In that case it should work in the air too. I'll check tomorrow.

10 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

Actually NO, you're very condescending aren't you?

It was a single player mission with Easy communication off in both the mission and settings menu.

Which was exactly my point, it is NOT consistent between modules.

As in the same mission, I also tested the 18, the 16, the ka50, the Huey, the Spitfire, the Mustang (paid), which DID NOT open the communication menu when using /

1 minute ago, jonsky7 said:

Actually NO, you're very condescending aren't you?

It was a single player mission with Easy communication off in both the mission and settings menu.

Which was exactly my point, it is NOT consistent between modules.

As in the same mission, I also tested the 18, the 16, the ka50, the Huey, the Spitfire, the Mustang (paid), which DID NOT open the communication menu when using /

"Do you happen to be running a singleplayer mission, and have the "Easy Communication" enabled in your own DCS-settings (not the mission settings)? Because that overrides the mission settings when you save the mission."

No more condescending than statements like this: "Why is it that there is always someone protesting against a change that would not effect them in the slightest? ". I see no reason why you would even write that, if you are frustrated with this, then vent yourself somewhere else. Here you come for help, or for reporting a bug. As far as I know, there are no issues with the system. Still, check the above which I quoted before, as that actually can be what you have set.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 minute ago, zerO_crash said:

"Do you happen to be running a singleplayer mission, and have the "Easy Communication" enabled in your own DCS-settings (not the mission settings)? Because that overrides the mission settings when you save the mission."

No more condescending than statements like this: "Why is it that there is always someone protesting against a change that would not effect them in the slightest? ". I see no reason why you would even write that, if you are frustrated with this, then vent yourself somewhere else. Here you come for help, or for reporting a bug. As far as I know, there are no issues with the system. Still, check the above which I quoted before, as that actually can be what you have set.

As I previously stated

"It was a single player mission with Easy communication off in both the mission and settings menu."

It is a mission I set up with every module I own set as client, so I can choose any, and either practise or test changes.

So the settings were exactly the same for the modules where the menu would open, and for those that wouldn't.

So other than "that's the way is" and "it's a good system, just read the manual", if ED were to reverse it to opening the menu anytime the / was pressed, would that negatively impact your gameplay in any way?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

I checked that and easy comms and other radio helper are off in the DCS core settings (and of course in the mission). you can define that behaviour as intended then it is "as intended" but it is not intuitive and not logical. And it is a problem for new users that start with easy comms "on" and go to easy comms "off" or multiplayer server. A lot threads like this one prove it.

As I encountered this issue months ago, nobody on the multiplayer server could help me btw. (A bad thing: when you find out that comms menu is not working as you head for the tanker. 😉)

11 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

As I previously stated

"It was a single player mission with Easy communication off in both the mission and settings menu."

It is a mission I set up with every module I own set as client, so I can choose any, and either practise or test changes.

So the settings were exactly the same for the modules where the menu would open, and for those that wouldn't.

So other than "that's the way is" and "it's a good system, just read the manual", if ED were to reverse it to opening the menu anytime the / was pressed, would that negatively impact your gameplay in any way?

It´s weird that it works that way for you, I suppose you don´t run any mods?

In any case, for the time being use the "mic"-switch and it will work in general, requiring you to use the radios properly. This system gets updated soon anyways. However, ultimately, it works good. You could look for issues in any system, and could find things that don´t make sense. That´s why there is a manual stating what to use when. Even in the modules we fly, you can setup sights and systems in a way so as to benchmark them, and find issues, and that is military tech costing billions. Simply use "mic"-switch along with non-easy communications (both missions and DCS settings), and "Communication menu" for easy coms and FC3. 

Also, don´t make this personal, as it´s not me vs you. This is a relevant discussion on a system that generally works, as long as aviators adhere to the specification. The system could surely be easier, but some of the complexity remains due to older modules which use SSM-system and a simpler radio system. And those for example, would not go under the "mic"-switch. It´s a good system, that is often misunderstood because there are three options to control, and people just not checking all of them depending on the either easy or hard comms. You also have to check what the server is running in case of MP. That´s why all the threads.

10 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

I checked that and easy comms and other radio helper are off in the DCS core settings (and of course in the mission). you can define that behaviour as intended then it is "as intended" but it is not intuitive and not logical. And it is a problem for new users that start with easy comms "on" and go to easy comms "off" or multiplayer server. A lot threads like this one prove it.

As I encountered this issue months ago, nobody on the multiplayer server could help me btw. (A bad thing: when you find out that comms menu is not working as you head for the tanker. 😉)

It could be more intuitive, sure, but then DCS isn´t something that you just jump into either. Truth be told, I´m more than sure that it´s being held back by FC3 and simply a older settings-UI. In general, you should never need 3 settings, where one of them alters with the mission/server, for such a basic system. Still, it is what it is for now. Hopefully, it will get looked at with the updated ATC and comms.

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]