Best Way to Learn the AN/APG-73 Radar

redboot

I've owned this module for a few months and have started to feel comfortable with basic flight mechanics.  I've decided the next step in my education is to tackle the radar.  The problem is, I'm not sure how to go about it.  The radar development has gone through several updates and it seems most information/videos are dated and don't include every function.  Chuck's Guide may be an exception to this.  It's enormously helpful, but hardly a tutorial.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to learn this topic without poking around a bunch of fractured sources from different dates/points of development?  

42 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

I recommend wags' videos in the Hornet mini update thread. He has a good and often short way to explain and show new stuff and changes to systems. In a perfect world  every module should have such a thread imho.

Yes, Wags on YouTube is a great way to start.  You can then search YouTube and other sources for more specific info.  I would suggest you create a simple mission to practice with the different features of the radar.  Set up your F/A-18 in air start, throw in an AWACs for spotting, and then several enemy aircraft (at least 100 miles out, unarmed, and at Rookie level to begin with).  Once you begin to feel comfortable with air to air then add ground targets to the mission to work on the air to ground radar.  On the practice mission I created, I gave myself the choice of air or carrier start, an air tanker for refueling, then air/ground/sea targets grouped in different sections of the map with waypoints to each section.  By creating your own training mission you learn to use the mission editor and the surprise element is taken out of the mission so you can concentrate on the aircraft systems.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

I recall in the days of my playing Janes FA-18 there's a awesome tutorial about APG-73 with gif animations. I learned great deal from this. It was Baskat's APG-73 radar tutorial IIRC. Just tried to google it but it gave me deadlink. I wonder if someone still has it. Very good tutorial if you can find it.

• Like 1

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

4 hours ago, Oceandar said:

I recall in the days of my playing Janes FA-18 there's a awesome tutorial about APG-73 with gif animations. I learned great deal from this. It was Baskat's APG-73 radar tutorial IIRC. Just tried to google it but it gave me deadlink. I wonder if someone still has it. Very good tutorial if you can find it.

Just checked my original box, copyright 1999, 2000. I didn't have internet back then 🤪

I have recently gone through the very same learning curve for the radar. Firstly, I watched all the relevant content on You Tube. I spent an evening searching and saving videos to ‘Watch Later’. I then viewed them in order oldest to newest. The thing is, they’ve generally added more functionality as time’s gone by so watching them in order does give you an understanding of the evolution.

Secondly, as already suggested here, I created a radar practice mission.  However, my mission had a single unarmed MIG-29 that started 80nm out heading hot straight at me. At about 30nm it turns 90 degrees to starboard and after 5 mins or so it then turns another 90 degrees to fly cold away from me.  I found this mission particularly helpful in understanding the scenarios where you can lose lock in the Hornet. Just keep replaying the mission over to compare different settings.

Good luck.  Hope the above is of some use.

Edited by Bader242
Correction