Navalized, amphib capable Hinds, and door gunners. More flares and chaff.

DmitriKozlowsky

On 7/17/2021 at 6:50 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Basically just folding rotor and folding tail for deck stowage.

No Hinds have this and there isn't a naval variant.

That said, it would be good if we could start from ships.

"This helicopter is so big, it needs a door gunner." Said no-one ever. But maybe they did.

Agreed, though they said we might get a KORD door gunner later.

Hell, I'd even take an empty passenger slot.

Hind is hingnormous. It needs more flare and chaff bundles.

It has 192 countermeasure slots - which is 64 more than the Ka-50 and Mi-8. Personally, it's plenty - especially when you can only fire them in slow bursts.

Our Hind has the largest countermeasure dispensers of any Soviet/Russian Hind, if it's any consolation the Mi-24D had less countermeasures, (2 banks of 64 and they were just strapped to the tailboom).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

3 hours ago, FlankerKiller said:

I'm pretty sure all articulated rotors can be folded. 

Not the Hind's - you'd have to dismantle the rotor-head to do that, including the control-linkages from the swashplate to blades, as well as the damper for the lead-lag/drag hinge.

And all of that assumes the lead-lag/drag hinge has the range to allow the blades to fold up, which I really doubt, as it's not designed to do that at all.

IRL to save space, they straight up just remove the blades, and this can be seen in this video, where a hind is being offloaded from an An-124. If they could just be folded and secured, they'd do that as doing it that way saves time when the helicopter is reassambled.

Compare that this video where an HH-60G Pave Hawk being offloaded from a C-17, where the blades are simply folded, that's because the HH-60G has a rotor-head that allows the blades to fold up, they'll save time by simply unfolding them, compared to the Hind where they have to reattach the blades.

EDIT: If you look at the rotor-heads of helicopters that can fold their blades, they have an extra hinge - the Hind's rotor-head doesn't, it just has the flapping hinges.

Spoiler

Also of note - despite the video being uploaded in 2021, Lipa seems to still be present - though almost certainly deactivated

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I mean Russian navy does use Mi-24s but they're not much different than ordinary Mi-24 aside having sticked Russian Navy flags on the tail (or on fuselage area between cargobay and cockpit, in the picture is a Mi-24VP of Russian Navy) but they definitely do not have folding rotors and tail. Also if I'm not wrong it is one of modules in DCS with highest number of possible flares/countermeasures ... I mean 196 pieces of flares and/or countermeasures is quite a number.

slika.png

At least it will get an side Kord gunner after exiting early access state.

Gunners? - DCS: Mi-24P Hind - ED Forums

Edited by SmukY
  • Like 2

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 7/18/2021 at 2:23 PM, Northstar98 said:

It has 192 countermeasure slots - which is 64 more than the Ka-50 and Mi-8. Personally, it's plenty - especially when you can only fire them in slow bursts.

Our Hind has the largest countermeasure dispensers of any Soviet/Russian Hind, if it's any consolation the Mi-24D had less countermeasures, (2 banks of 64 and they were just strapped to the tailboom).

Yes and no... Compared to the DCS Mi-8, DCS Mi-24 Got poor coutermeasures. In Mi-8 You can fire 4 flares at once, it gives You about 100% chance to spuff a stinger. In Mi-24 it's 50/50 You get hit and killed...

:pilotfly:

28 minutes ago, Miro said:

Yes and no... Compared to the DCS Mi-8, DCS Mi-24 Got poor coutermeasures. In Mi-8 You can fire 4 flares at once, it gives You about 100% chance to spuff a stinger. In Mi-24 it's 50/50 You get hit and killed...

The discussion was about the total amount of countermeasures carried, or at least that was my interpretation, and in that regard the Hind does well.

The problem is that the countermeasure programs we have are very limited with only 2 burst lengths to choose from and 2 intervals - and both the intervals are in seconds. The Mi-8MTV-2 has a UV-26 which gives you more flexibility and is generally more useful.

I'mreally surprised the Hind doesn't have a panic button that launches a countermeasure every time it's pressed, allowing you to quickly dispense lots of countermeasures - like the FC3 aircraft. But this is a for another topic and it's likely it is a limitiation of the real aircraft, and it's something that won't be fixed by just adding more countermeasure 'buckets'.

System:

I tried what i see in real videos of Hind coutermeasures. I disabled left side launcher, and run program from right, then i enabled left launcher and run program once again. It gives me flare launch in +- 1.5 sec interval, but it's also useless...

:pilotfly:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 7:57 PM, Miro said:

Yes , its a fairly sedate rate of release .... I love the Ka-50 dispenser ability to throw out small suns , although you can chew through stores quickly .

Watch Growling sidewinder videos. He does a lot of "pre-flaring", which throws off heat seeker from even locking on you. I start droping flares as soon as I start attack run, all the way through attack and while getting out. Works just fine

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 3:16 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

Marine infantry use Ka-29 Helix and surely on a future a version of Ka-52K Katran

Unless we get the Ka-29 we'll have to use the Hip or Hind as the harbingers of the black death. We need some Russian amphibious ships though

13 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Unless we get the Ka-29 we'll have to use the Hip or Hind as the harbingers of the black death. We need some Russian amphibious ships though

I ran a test last week and was able hot start on the Russian carriers, cruisers etc

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 8/29/2021 at 5:34 PM, upyr1 said:

There's been a Pr. 775 [NATO: "Ropucha I"] LST in the files for a few years now, and it is fairly well modelled and animated. Though it doesn't have any aviation facilities.

The only amphibious ships operated by the USSR/Russia that do have aviation facilities are the Pr. 1174 "Nosorog" [NATO: "Ivan Gren"] class LST/LPD or the much later Pr. 11711 ["Ivan Gren"] class.

System:

1 minute ago, Northstar98 said:

There's been a Pr. 775 [NATO: "Ropucha I"] LST in the files for a few years now, and it is fairly well modelled and animated. Though it doesn't have any aviation facilities.

The only amphibious ships operated by the USSR/Russia that do have aviation facilities are the Pr. 1174 "Nosorog" [NATO: "Ivan Gren"] class LST/LPD or the much later Pr. 11711 ["Ivan Gren"] class.

More proof we need more ships