Drag Index Gouge

Robi-wan

Bugger...does anybody have Drag Index gouge (Dash 34 extracts for example) that could give me an idea of typical weapons loads DI values? The GR1F-16CJ-1-1 performance pages have charts for DI values from 0 to 400 in increments of 50.

I'm just trying to see what kind of loads get the DI up above 150.

Edited by Robi-wan
  • Like 1

There are DI values for all the individual stores in the HAF manuals but I don't have them at hand at the moment so I can't tell you exactly which page. Though I don't know how in-depth DCS drag modelling is, in real life the DI value varies depending on, not merely what you have loaded, but even what type of store is loaded next to another type of store. This means that if you want to calculate accurate DI values you need to calculate for the entire loadout with everything loaded on specific stations. For example, if you have certain munitions loaded on stations 3 & 7, the DI of those munitions will be different depending on whether or not you have fuel tanks loaded on stations 4 & 6, and that is without even taking the DI of the tanks themselves into account.

I hope that helps and hopefully some kind soul who has the HAF manuals at hand is able to point you towards the right page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

A 6 missile AA load with ALQ and TGP might get slightly north of 150. It takes AG loads to get above that. Single carriage on 3/7 will be about 175+-. Multi racking stuff can break north of 200 quickly especially for stuff like CBUs and Maverick. Multi racking on 3467 is where you get into the 300-400 range.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

Though I don't know how in-depth DCS drag modelling is, in real life the DI value varies depending on, not merely what you have loaded, but even what type of store is loaded next to another type of store.

Oh yeah, understand. I tossed my old RTU academic pubs, my A model Dash 1 and Dash 34, all of my briefings/notes a few months back. I'm trying to track down those Block 50/52 manual pages with the nose on silhouette and all the configurations, carriage limits, release limits. Trying to help a friend out with a campaign project. Will be forced to test various SCLs to see what pushes the fuel flow over 9600 PPH / 160 PPM at 480 KCAS on the deck...meh.

8 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

There are DI values for all the individual stores in the HAF manuals but I don't have them at hand at the moment so I can't tell you exactly which page.

Found them...starts on page A1-6. Much obliged, I was looking for the silhouettes that would be found in Section V, which is in GR1F-16CJ-1-2.

• Like 1