WW11 Asset Packs needed to run instant missions Free to Try

Vector1

Hi, just downloaded another aircraft and terrain free to trial, without the WW11 asset pack it is abit pointless, you cannot use instant missions without it, as a new user it is very hard to know if I like the Aircaft and Terrains enough to Buy ! , as it will take me the two week trial to learn how to setup a mission to fly to try to gain any insight to whether I think they are worth buying, sorry for any ranting, I am just frustrated with the situation, Thanks for listening , Vector1
  • Like 1

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

Yep, they have already said assets will be for free trial either, but just not yet.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

@Vector1, not that it will help your frustration any, and believe me I really do get the frustration part, but as a relatively new DCS user like me, I would suggest taking a bit of time getting use to the DCS world product line. Since it was a free trial, it might be worth considering that you haven't lost much other than time. While waiting for the next free trial if you are still interested, you might find it helpful to spend some time learning the included mission editor and free planes that come preloaded with DCS world if you haven't already done that. I know I did.

As I am sure you have already noticed, the models being simulated in DCS are pretty complex because they are meant to be pretty close to real. I probably spent at least 20 hours learning how to start and taxi the P51 around on the ground, before spending another 20 tearing wings and wheels off during takeoff and landing. I now have all but 3 of the piston powered planes, and absolutely love the war birds in DCS.

A big part of my frustration though comes from the apparent slow reaction from ED to support/promote the other very important parts of DCS world. I can't stress enough how important the tech packs/maps are to the digital combat simulator. I would argue that the tech packs/maps are just as important if not more so then the planes we fly, because without them there would be no realistic world to fly the realistic flight model in.

So my point here is I am very happy to see ED step up to the plate and offer the WWII assets pack as a free trial. But like most things in the software world, getting everything to work together can be a challenge. My experience here has been that the glitches do get worked out, and things will eventually work as they are meant to. So hopefully things will be a little less frustrating for the next free trial period.

If your interests are flying in authentic WWII scenes, then I highly recommend you consider the Normandy/Channel maps with the WWII assets pack. They are certainly worth it IMO. And regardless of what era you are interested in, you are missing a huge part of DCS functionality without the Combined Arms module. You can get a better sense of that functionality by playing around and learning the mission editor. The importance of the Combined Arms module becomes more clear once you have a good grasp of the mission editor and its features.  

Good luck!

Hi  Callsign112 , and thanks for your reply , I am interested in WW11 exclusively , and as you suggested in your reply I should try the Normandy Map , but that is my point it will not work for instant missions unless you have WW11 asset pack , Saying that , it is pointless me downloading and wasting space and bandwith for no benifit , aslo I now have to wait another 6 months to download it and the Spitfire that I would dearly love to fly ,as my father was in the RAF during WW11 , giving away my age now , anyway my other post about this has already been closed down , so as a new member I dont know if I am still allowed to still be talking about this subject , Also I need to be concentrating on flying , not trying to setup my own missions , which is awhole new learning curve I should imagine ? anyway thanks for your kind words of encougement , I have to say the members on this forum have been great , your truly Vector1

• Like 1

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

Assuming you want to fly the Spitfire, you could try this mission:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312790/

Or just use the menu in the user files section and search for missions/campaigns that dont require the WW2 Assets Pack.

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

11 hours ago, Vector1 said:

Hi  Callsign112 , and thanks for your reply , I am interested in WW11 exclusively , and as you suggested in your reply I should try the Normandy Map , but that is my point it will not work for instant missions unless you have WW11 asset pack , Saying that , it is pointless me downloading and wasting space and bandwith for no benifit , aslo I now have to wait another 6 months to download it and the Spitfire that I would dearly love to fly ,as my father was in the RAF during WW11 , giving away my age now , anyway my other post about this has already been closed down , so as a new member I dont know if I am still allowed to still be talking about this subject , Also I need to be concentrating on flying , not trying to setup my own missions , which is awhole new learning curve I should imagine ? anyway thanks for your kind words of encougement , I have to say the members on this forum have been great , your truly Vector1

Hey glad I was able to help. Like you, my interests are really WWII, and that includes ground and naval assets. But while your waiting for the next free trial, I really encourage you to spend your time learning how to operate the free P51. Getting good at that will really help your learning curve as you purchase other models. Not because the planes are all the same, because they most certainly are not. Each air frame has a very distinct feel to it, and performance varies widely as I am sure you will come to realize. But learning the free P51 will help you settle down into DCS World.

If you don't already have it (should be in the documents folder inside the DCS folder), you should download the DCS P51 user manual. A lot of people refer to DCS as a learning SIM because you can spend hours just reading about any number of the features included with each model. There are also tutorial missions that cover most of the basics like startup, taxi, takeoff, and landing. But it can literally take hours to learn the proper startup sequence for each model if you want to memorize and understand it like a real pilot would. After that, you can also spend a considerable amount of time learning the proper operating settings for each plane. Using inappropriate operating settings to fly a war bird can quickly lead to engine damage, and a lot of this is modeled in DCS. After you have mastered that, you still have the bigger issue of learning how to squeeze the most performance out of your plane while staying within acceptable operating limits. Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your plane and how they compare to the strengths and weaknesses of your opponent will be key to becoming a good WWII fighter pilot. There are a lot of really dedicated DCS pilots here, and most of them have taken the time to demonstrate the issues at hand on YouTube. If you haven't already, that is a really good go-to-source for solving most problems you might encounter.

The list of what you can spend your time learning in DCS  goes on and on, but once you are comfortable with all the basics, and assuming that the next free trial hasn't arrived yet, I also encourage you to visit the mission editor and all it has to offer. The mission editor is probably the most underrated feature of DCS World, and yet it has the potential to enrich your DCS experience more then any other feature. If I were going to make a recommendation to anyone just starting out, it would be to use the free trial period to find the one plane you want to really get good at, and then before buying more planes, complete your DCS world by purchasing the tech packs/maps first.

As a WWII fan, my DCS World experience would be incomplete without the Normandy/Channel maps, and the Combined Arms/WWII assets pack.

Hi Guy's , thanks again for your support , Looks like I'm stuck practicing with free P51 and the Caucasas map for six months , Hope they include WW11 asset pack by then , I know I can try other aircraft from WW11 era but bit reluctant to download any other Terrains incase they need WW11 asset pack ? Anyway maybe when they do something like this again they might try it before they realese it , I know I might sound ungreatful but it really is frustrating for people like me , For the first time I have the time and assets to get into DCS, just hope my interest dosen't wain , All the best to all of you and thanks again for all your advice .Vector1

• Like 2

Hi Everybody , just to let everyone Know , WW11 asset pack has now been add to Free to Trial . might be wrong didnt see it mention anywhere , thanks Vector1

Ina last ditch effort, now that the Assets Pack is available, you could try to submit a help ticket to explain the situation and ask for them to allow you to start the trial again without waiting for another six months. I think it would be in their best interest, and in fact they should make the Assets Pack available continuously when a WWII module is trialed.

• Thanks 1

In terms of trialing just the aircraft without considering the different WWII maps, I am not 100% certain, but I thought it was possible to do that on the Caucasus map. Are the WWII Assets also required for quick missions on the Caucasus map?

@Vector1, learning to fly the free TF-51D offers the advantage of being able to see how it handles on your system and current setup. If you decide to buy the P-51D, you will already have a good feel for the plane and what to expect.  But because you seem to mostly be interested in the Spit, you should consider that it will likely feel quite a bit different unless your system has been setup to accommodate for it. You can read about it here:

Hi Guy's , it's good news WW11 asset pack now available , I tried the suggestion that Caucasas map would allow me to use instant missions , and your right , sort of practise , takeoff , taxiing so on , so i will try them for next 6 months , not really into Modern Aircraft , but might give them a try . not asking for any favours , so won't try asking for a renewal of my 6 months as suggested . anyway , Big THANKS to you Guy's for all your help .Vector1