FCLP

FlyingTaco21

This is a bit of a ... well I'm not sure if it belongs here or in a map forum but since it would necessitate SC functionality I dropped it here:

There is at least one base on each US coast that is set up as a carrier equivalent  that has everything but the wires. Having something of this nature in sim would be of great help. In bridging the gap between airfield and carrier ops. The fact that it would be on an actual runway  would cut down on reset time for practicing  since you are no longer having to restart scenarios after short landings on a carrier etc. Very frustrating launch and go through all the myriad of thing necessary to get out away from the ship come back, enter the pattern, make a mistake, and spend another 15 minutes creating another approach, when on a properly set up field it would have just been a touch and go. 

Probably easiest to accomplish on the nevada map. 

• Like 4

I second this request, for the same reasons. I opened a thread within the Marianas forum about this exact thing, and suggested NOLF Orote or Rota / PGRO (yes, I know those would both be fictional).

• Like 1

ThinkPad X1 Carbon G6 | i7-8550U 1.8-4 GHz | 16GB LPDDR3-2133 MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe SSD | Win10 x64

Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box | 8GB GDDR6-14000MHz | 3x Dell U2412M for 5760x1200

CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals

On 7/14/2021 at 11:08 PM, FlyingTaco21 said:

Very frustrating launch and go through all the myriad of thing necessary to get out away from the ship come back, enter the pattern, make a mistake, and spend another 15 minutes creating another approach, when on a properly set up field it would have just been a touch and go.

That's very surprising to hear. You can already keep the hook up and do touch and goes on the actual carrier with like 2 minute bolter circles but I'm not against the idea. It's probably best to do it on the Andersen AFB.

https://www.pncguam.com/navy-to-conduct-field-carrier-landing-practice-at-andersen-afb/

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The issue isn't with the plane its with the fact you are trying to land on a ship. Hook or no isn't relevant if you are trying to develop a basic skill set that will alow you to routinely set up the same approach profile. The nature of FCLP means that unless you are just absolutely terrible and completely off, you have excess runway. Carriers don't. I can roll to a stop or bolter or recover farther down an actual runway. But any error on the carrier itself requires a greater degree of time investment to recover from. 

Having seen the A10 qualification campaigns ... although I've not yet played the A10... I'm wondering now if the best way to handle this is to create a carrier training campaign with a greater amount of coaching than the existing training scenarios that are included in modules right now. Call it naval aviator campaign and bring the T-45 on board. Having a voice over similar to other tutorial (but at present completely absent from SC) missions, would help address the overwhelming workload  that falls on a pilot in last say 2 minutes of landing on a carrier. Just getting into the right position either altitude or bearing from the ship while maintaining angle of attack is difficult, and there isn't anything in the sim to trigger when you reach the right point so that as a user you can look out and see the carrier and create a mental picture of what the orientation of the ship and the tacan bearing etc look like etc. 

The existing missions work to a degree, they really don't bring everything together. They drop you into moments in time  or just provide an empty playground. This is like a single dot in a connect the dots drawing or a blank piece of paper. Need all the dots and need to follow them in order. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

bump an old thread, 

THIS!

there a few dcs groups that really wanna add the immersive aspect of training to go to the boat culminating with a CQ event that adds some intensity to 'hoping we get right, bc that boat down there sure looks small"

Is it a need? No, bc as its been stated - there's no actual risk in the game... But it sure would provide some authenticity. 

And in fact FCLP is a carrier touch and go without the angled deck and burble and less chance of dying when a mistake is made.  Personally I air start aft of the boat (which in my world makes it a submarine, but I try to stick to terminology) and do my FCLP in a much more realistic, ie on the carrier, manner.  Angled deck, burble, and very little chance of actually dying. 

Not that I'd object to a portable IFOLS (there's a mod, but it's not the greatest) and some extra paint on the runway.  There aren't many NASs out there that don't have a deck painted on at least one runway, and from what I've read any time you take off in training it's five or ten bounces on the ball to get back.  So...an IFOLS GV and new runway skins...

That might make my carrier landings something I wouldn't be embarrassed to let my cat see...