Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) way too WEAK

For the very first time, we have SSAO for DCS since a few months now, and I think it is a GREAT addition to visuals!, thanks ED!!🙌

However, the implementation makes for a extremely slight darkening, almost invisible, rendering the effect useless in all situations. In real life, the places where there is not much indirect light (less energy light bounces) tend to look much darker. Of course, the relation between the darkening and the lighting is fixed, but our eyes/cameras can increase/decrease the overall brightness of the whole image so this is a relative issue. 

Nevertheless, I think we can conclude there is an acceptable level we all will agree from "correctly exposed" images and what our eyes usually perceive, and definitely, this effect must be MUCH darker and evident.

I have taken several images with and without SSAO enabled and as you will see, there is barely a difference, which shouldn't be the case. Also, this is happening in both internal cockpit view and the external world.

First w/o then w/ SSAO enabled:

DCS 2021-07-13 13-59-15.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 14-01-02.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 13-57-13.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 13-54-08.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 13-59-41.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 14-02-15.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 13-59-51.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 14-02-24.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 13-59-59.jpg

DCS 2021-07-13 14-02-31.jpg

As the images demonstrate, it is very hard to notice any ambient occlusion effect taking place, in the spots where there should be plently of light occlusion (no matter if on a sunny day or overcast, although in overcast, there is a slightly increased amount of darkening but still way too weak) there is pretty much nothing, and most of the visible AO is comming from the baked red channel of the roughmets files. As a comparison, here are few real life images showing the effect (and with a more or less equal exposition as one would have with his eyes, for those arguing about HDR or human eyes light adaptation). Note how the indirect light is specially strong (darkness) when the plane is over the ground and/or full of external tanks/bombs due to the objects making harder to the light bounce to these places.

Sin título.jpg

GRAN CANARIA, ESPAÑA - JANUARY 25: Spanish Air Force f18 Typhoon flying during the DACT17 Exercises. January 25, 2017 in Gran Canara, Spain. - 72148896

amv.jpg photos | F-16.net

AN air-to-air view of the underside of an F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft  flying over a range. One AIM-9L Sidewinder, one AIM-9J Sidewinder, one  2,000-pound Mark 84 bomb and an auxiliary fuel tank

Bombs And ECM | A WI ANG F-16 heads out to the ranges with 2… | Flickr

File:Lockheed Martin F-16D Fighting Falcon, Turkey - Air Force  JP7156596.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Again, it depends on many factors, however, what's the point of having an effect that is doing pretty much nothing?. I'm not asking for a new solution nor ray tracing for making indirect global illumination, but for a simple darker effect of the actual implementation, and, if possible, with a better/more detailed option for SSAO in the graphics menu. Instead of SSAO=on/off there should be a variety of possibilities like low/med/high/ultra which would able for a higher quality (lower radious/more accurate/less grainy) SSAO...but at least, just darkening the effect would be great!. This is a FUNDAMENTAL visual effect for realism, so please, make it at least visible!

To clarify a bit more my point here are a few images of the effect working isolated from other things so we can better know what could be done. This visual effect is not a fully realistic approximation to the real life light behaviour, but it is much better than nothing, that's for sure, and while waiting for a future RT implementation, it can do a great work.

Ambient Occlusion - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

ArtStation - A Toony Plane ?, Šhübhâm Bhäğwát

Ambient Occlusion comparison: without/with

Thanks!

Edited by Ala12Rv-watermanpc
  • Like 10

Take a look at my MODS here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/6/2021 at 6:14 PM, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

Hope something can be done about this!, little up!

+1

• Thanks 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Please keep in mind that SSAO generally speaking looks a bit s*** - it flickers and doesn't always appear in the correct spots.
BUT I do like the idea of having Raytraced AO (maybe that can be only feature to keep it fast) could help a lot for the look of the planes and the world.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:39 PM, GEIST said:

Please keep in mind that SSAO generally speaking looks a bit s*** - it flickers and doesn't always appear in the correct spots.
BUT I do like the idea of having Raytraced AO (maybe that can be only feature to keep it fast) could help a lot for the look of the planes and the world.

Having a proper ray traced global illumination solution for indirect light in DCS would be awesome. However, that would truly be performance hungry and would take quite some time to develop so I don't think that would be a solution at the moment. AO is far from perfect, and you are right, it won't be 100% accurate, but it is 1000% better than having nothing and to be honest, I think it makes a GREAT job when done right (take a look at other certain modern flight sim, AO looks incredible and extremely realistic). About the flickering, well, it shouldn't happen unless samples quality is way too low so it should be aesily fixable (some quality options in the graphics menu should do, just select between low, med, high and ultra and then everyone can choose accordingly with the power capabilities of their machines).

Anyway, I would be already happy just by making AO more pronounced, at least to make it visible in cockpits/airplanes, which right now is not the case.

• Like 1

Take a look at my MODS here

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, TheTaker said:

I played with ReShade MXAO plugin (Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance), here are the results:
Reshade preset attached. 

I did not know about this shader, it looks great, i have integrated it into my preset - many thanks

image.png

image.png

DCS 2023-04-13 23-11-49.png

DCS 2023-04-13 23-11-54.png

Edited by Nick_17

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Looks like solar eclipse, no thanks.

Really? Huh...i guess my Monitor is just bright af, the increased contrast and depth looks really nice on my end, the brightness is about the same. Good thing this can all be adjusted in the shader settings tho, if the effect is too harsh for some

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2