Lakatamia airfield or airport ? Unmarked and unusable.

DmitriKozlowsky

Lakatamia is a Heliport, it was a larger airfield in the past but at 1775ft you would struggle to get anything other than a Harrier in there. 

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Besides, nothing stops you from placing a waypoint there to land, just not a mission editor "landing" waypoint. Nothing stops you from using a takeoff from ground to start there either.

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fully functional heliport and FOB. 

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

I think what the OP is asking is why is this airfield on Cyprus not available as a usable airfield like the other, much smaller airfields/heliports in the area.  Yes, you could physically land there and such, but why is it not a mission editor usable airfield for AI aircraft or other such functionality?

Cyprus Unusable Airfield.png

There's a link in this thread that explains it is part of the UN buffer zone and isn't in use in real life.  However, it seems like a rather inconvenient mechanic that you can't have any AI aircraft land there unless you place an invisible FARP pad for helos.  A lot of "what if" scenario possibilities aren't possible.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2021 at 11:28 AM, Raptor9 said:

I think what the OP is asking is why is this airfield on Cyprus not available as a usable airfield like the other, much smaller airfields/heliports in the area.  Yes, you could physically land there and such, but why is it not a mission editor usable airfield for AI aircraft or other such functionality?

There's a link in this thread that explains it is part of the UN buffer zone and isn't in use in real life.  However, it seems like a rather inconvenient mechanic that you can't have any AI aircraft land there unless you place an invisible FARP pad for helos.  A lot of "what if" scenario possibilities aren't possible.

Late to the thread but here's the wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicosia_International_Airport

TLDR It was going to be the main, modern international airport for the island before Turkey invaded in 1974.  It ended up in the UN Buffer Zone between Cyprus and North Cyprus, so it was abandoned, and Cyprus' main airport is now Lanarca on the south coast.  North Cyprus built Ercan as their main airport, but nobody recognizes North Cyprus except Turkey, so only flights from Turkey can land there.

Historically, Cyprus is a VERY messy place!

• ED Team

The overall point I was trying to make is this: DCS allows for all sorts of scenarios.  I can have China or France roll across Syria and take over every airfield and heliport in the process, regardless of their current ownership in real life.  The fact that an airport isn't in active use in real life seems like a silly reason for not allowing it to be used for scenario development, where you could very easily have the airfield captured and/or used as a hasty staging base for aircraft to fly in for reinforcements or evacuations.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 years later...

Well to be fair Nicosia international only operates as a helo base for the UN, if you knew about the invasion, you'd know that the heaviest fighting in the whole conflict happened around Nicosia and Nicosia international,  it was bombed and assaulted numerous times by the turks, and ontop of that, has not been maintained ever since, there is no facility there technically for fuel, I'm not sure how the UN fuel they're helicopters but I'm sure it's not with the original stores of the  airport. Not only all this, but Nicosia international is still a bit of a sensitive subject for some,  especially those from Cyprus. Cyprus may have been before a lot of our times, however its still a serious conflict that is ongoing to this day, lots of peoples lives were torn up and many people parished including 28 Canadian Peacekeepers