AIM-54 is anti-bomber only missile?

DD_Fenrir

2 hours ago, Kula66 said:

Apparently, some of the French supplied Iraqi Mirage F-1s had fairly sophisticated jamming gear, so it probably depends on what the targets were.

Yeah, the Iraqis had Caiman pods for their F1's as well as soviet SPS-141M pods IIRC, but doctrinally the Russians didn't believe in ECM for fighters so only SU-22's and maybe 23BN carried the SPS-141 that was optimized against things like the hawk. Though reputedly it worked against the AWG-9/phoenix as long range phoenix kills of bombers equipped with those pods stopped later in the war. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the feedback given here, but I actually read that document, and noticed "captive carry".

Anyone really knowing what is actual meant?

I mean many times they mention it when limiting the scope of tests:

- captive carry will not replicate missile dynamics.
- not permitted with captive carry
- F-14 captive carry cannot duplicate flight dynamics required for verification
- F-14 dynamic and altitude limitations

It sounds as if tests were conducted on some sort of scaled down substitute of AIM-54.

48 minutes ago, okopanja said:

I appreciate the feedback given here, but I actually read that document, and noticed "captive carry".

Captive carry just means attached to the aircraft.  If you're not going to shoot it, you can't do all those things like measure missile aerodynamics etc.

• Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

11 minutes ago, Wingmate said:

It is the same as this but would look and work like a AIM-54 https://marvineng.com/product/catm-120bc-captive-air-training-missile/

I meant more like a design methodology(it looks like captive carry is broader term), but you actually found actual product! 🙂

So these were made for training, the above document mentioned evaluation, which is quite different purpose, and they also mention lab.