Gun, what I'm doing wrong?

Stratos

I tried to foloow the tutorials, does not seem very complicated, but when in combat, I always get the same "problem". I'm pretty sure is my fault, but where? Look the CCIP gunsight when my gun bullets should land, and where the gun is firing (the fixed sight). Anyone have an idea?

Screen_210711_193540.png

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Is the gunsight set to auto ranging? The range on that looks closer than what is indicated, possibly it's set to manual range. If that is auto range then you are too far from the target to effectively fire.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

Trust in the fixed sight.  It is a more useful tool for 90% of all combat with the gun.  The weapon fires super flat, and you can quite easily range in after a single burst.  Trying to use that radalt sight in any sort of terrain that isn't as flat as my ex-wife, and in perfect dive parameters, is an exercise in futility and frustration.

Understand that the radalt has no information on the terrain below you, it assumes the whole world is flat and its up to you to counter for that.  It doesn't know your target is on the up/down slope of a hill.  It won't work at all unless you're in a shallow dive.  Where as the fixed sight works just fine for most attack runs, and at the ranges you're realistically going to be using the gun its bordering on laser accurate.  Put the center pipper slightly high and to the left and let the gun walk itself onto the target.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The CCIP sight can be very accurate and really helps you remove any sideslip, uneven terrain of course will mess up the ranging but in that pic it just looks like it's not working at all. The point where the Pipper is pointing looks that it should be well within range of the 30mm.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

The CCIP pipper is more tuned for the GUV pods and rockets than anything. The 30mm gun has a higher rate of speed, thus flatter trajectory while the 7.62 and 12.7mm seem to be ballistic matched.  Best you can do is guesstimate the range for the ammo you're shooting and stick with that until you swap guns.  

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Is the gunsight set to auto ranging? The range on that looks closer than what is indicated, possibly it's set to manual range. If that is auto range then you are too far from the target to effectively fire.

It is, yes, I follow all the tutorials and all say the same.

You are flying too slow/flat. If you pitch the nose down you will see the CCIP pipper come 'alive' and move up to match where the bullets are actually impacting. Was doing the same thing when I started flying the Hind.

Can obviously be a problem if you are shooting onto 'rising' terrain so have the nose up etc, and it will also not be able to calculate impact point as accurately, but remember the onboard computer is just calculating the edges of a triangle, so if you don't have an adequate 'triangle' it just says nah.

As you are so 'flat' it also sees the impact point as 'out of range' hence no yellow light on opposite side of unit to green light illuminated, and see how the thin range line of the gun pipper is still way round past 3'oclock - it needs to reduce to the start of the 'fat' section to be at max range (and yellow light comes on) - and where this 'fat' section ends is min range.

You also need to step on your right TR pedal a bit as well - see that little triangle at the top of the gun pipper off to the right a bit - this is your sideslip indicator. Give it a little right pedal and this will come back to the 12 o'clock position. Is a really nice feature of the sight.

As stated above the CCIP pipper can be super accurate 

Edited by VampireNZ
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 minute ago, Stratos said:

So the gun MUST be used always in a dive? I expected to be able to use being fast and low.

No not in a 'Dive' - yes you can use it fast and low. Just remember the Hind is 'relatively' flat even when fast (which is why you need so much back stick when lifting off, can have cyclic central flying at 250 kmh etc.).

The difference between getting what you have in your pic, and a solid CCIP gun solution is only a few degrees more pitch, which is easy to accomplish when you recognise what is happening. If that requires a little bit of loss in altitude then just start gun run a little higher - but you don't need to dive-bomb your target.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For what it's worth, the GSh-30-2K in auto-ranging mode if you've got some slant on the target and are properly trimmed and understand the AP channels (even in the current perhaps incomplete/bugged state of both systems), is the best gun/sight combination for general use I've yet encountered in DCS. Flat-shooting, and both rates of fire (which I would characterize as "glacial chug" and "obliterate") are very useful depending on the circumstances and target type. I dim the fixed sight as low as it will go when using the moving reticle, and when that reticle comes alive and you pay attention to sideslip indicator, it's incredibly accurate and effective even in my clumsy hands. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wanna throw my ten cents in. The "CCIP" sight, is calculated using Gyros, So its abit SLOWER to respond. So what you need to do, is line your shots up well in advance (using the CCIP pipper) and hold that until you get within max range. Be gentle, and she'll land hits. 

Another bit, if you get "Too close" things will be movind fast, and it'll miscaculate. so keep practicing and you'll get a feel for when the sight gets on point, and when it gets off. So you can switch to the StaticSight.

• Thanks 2

On 7/11/2021 at 10:43 PM, Fenin said:

I gotchu fam.  Casmo has quite a few good vids on the Hind.

Haha, that improves my kills, and now I need to be careful with retreating blade stall, lol!

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Stratos said:

What is the range you guys shoot most of the time? 500m?

I shoot at whatever range the piper is telling me to shoot. Wag's video on Unguided Weapons is very informative on how to use the auto-ranging system. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

19 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Dont really know as for me the CCIP is giving on flat terrain at 300-400 m altitude a permission to fire under 1000 meters, why I don't use CCIP for gun or rockets as it is totally worthless. I use fixed sight and go by the touch from 2500-3000 meters with a good hits. 60-80% change to hit the target each time. Rockets (love to use S-5) are needing closer range, about 1800-2000 as M113 engage at the same time with me, because the rockets don't spread so much that likely I hit just next to target and as S-5 doesn't have much splash damage it is wasted shot.

Cannon is super fun to be used in slow fire rate and as single shot. You get good visual that where you hit and correct aim and then start doing sniping few vehicles until maybe 1500 m and turn away for re-attack.

With Mi-24P for long time I needed to turn labels on to get to see the proper distance. As with CCIP I was constantly under 1000 meters and it meant everyone was shooting me before I got even CCIP authorized. 

Now using fixed reticle I can do actual proper 50-100 meter altitude attack runs as cannon is under my estimation.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'm quite curious - what conditions does the CCIP sight work? I have noticed that pitching down (and flying at a medium altitude) tend to help... but I don't know what the actual constraints are - and it seems unpredictable (with the light often switching off just as I'm lining up on the target)!

10 hours ago, Stratos said:

I start firing from almost 3km out using just the fixed sight, if they're in a place where I can.  Short burst, increased rof.  100 ish meter pop up, as fast as I can go.  I forget what depression I use in mils but its not too insane.   With practice you can usually tear apart soft targets on the second, maybe third burst and never get very close at all. 

I'm usually turning away by 1km.  Too close for me.  Of course that depends on what the target is equipped with/supported by.  Just a bunch of infantry with M16s and a dream?  Naw, I'm gonna roll up on em like an angry rhino. 

Even 12.7/.50cal vehicles I show little care for.  Run em over like roadkill.  I know the damage model is WIP but i've blatted .50 cal fire off the front windscreen enough times to show no respect for units armed with them if they don't have support to take more than a few pot shots at my rear if I mess up the run. 

Sort of related I'm reaching the point that I'm also tanking stingers on the chin, tho I'm sure petrovich isn't very appreciative.  He never seems to die though.  So much so that when I get jumped by them I just turn to face the missile and tank the hit.  The firer doesn't usually like the response.

Hind angy, silly stinger truck must die. https://i.gyazo.com/d81cc9454633ecd3da42c1217faa4f21.mp4

I think the other two missiles he fired may not have had time to arm properly, but I don't know anything about the stinger, so yeah.

That hit did almost nothing to me, I think at worst it broke the scope and peppered the nose.

Start talking 20/23/57mm tho and we're in a totally different ballpark.

5 hours ago, PreyingFox said:

Not sure if this helps but the CCIP sight wont work correctly if the CPLR DISTR switch in the gunner seat is off, I was having this problem previously.

Will check, just to be sure!

On 7/11/2021 at 1:38 PM, Stratos said:

I tried to foloow the tutorials, does not seem very complicated, but when in combat, I always get the same "problem". I'm pretty sure is my fault, but where? Look the CCIP gunsight when my gun bullets should land, and where the gun is firing (the fixed sight). Anyone have an idea?

Screen_210711_193540.png

If you look at your gunsight there are two black toggle switches on the left side of the dial knobs.   Those two switches need to be in the up position for the auto function 

7 hours ago, JesseJames38 said:

If you look at your gunsight there are two black toggle switches on the left side of the dial knobs.   Those two switches need to be in the up position for the auto function 

Nope, upper one does not affect auto range