to the owners of Reverb G2 and Valve Index...

MrFlatfoot

Yeah , facing the same problem soon . Facebook is a no-go for me , Index has no better res than my S , Reverb too much tweaking and I hate to reward HTC for a lazy upgrade and lousy attitude towards consumers . 

Index 2 would be great , but time is running out...

Took my inaugural flight in the Marianas yesterday , parked wingtip-to-wingtip next to a F-15E , and while the model looked much better than  previously experienced statics in the Caucasus , i couldn't read anything on what I presumed to be that large Tactical Air Command badge on the side of the aircraft . MSAAx4 (i hate sparklies and shimmering) , DCS pd 1.3-4 , Radeon sharpening 80 % , ground textures low . 

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

3 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Yes, a Rift S 'Mk 2' with higher resolution and no Facebook requirement would have been perfect. 

Sadly, after 4 cables and 2 headsets I returned my G2 for a refund and I'm back to using my Quest 2. The G2 just doesn't seem to have the reliability and ease of use as Oculus, at least in my experience.

Interesting I had no troubles when I was running my Reverb G2. At least once I got it dialed in good.

Regarding Oculus, sad thing is they had an official Rift CV2 ready to go to production when Zuckerberg pulled the plug on it for Quest 2.

Now they are talking about a "Pro" version of Quest  with little better visuals and no FB requirement.

I wish they would just go back to Rift development. Surely all the positive numbers of Quest 2 users on Steam VR should tell them something.

And it ain't stand alone. 

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Am 14.7.2021 um 00:37 schrieb GoodHope:

@MrFlatfootlet us know how the experience goes with the index--I'm hoping it works well for you.

So, the Index arrived yesterday - and will be returned today.

The index's packaging is really nice, FOV is better in my opinion and the blurry edges are not as prominent as with the G2. But at an overall reduced sharpness...This was clear from the get go, but for me it doesn't even look 3D.

Considering that the index costs double compared to the G2, it isn't enough improvement for me. I'm returning it and either buy the G2 again and try to get used to it (weird I know!) or give up.

Well I'm disappointed for you and also because my index arrives tomorrow (Sunday FedEx)...  Obviously everyone's experience is different so I'll give my thoughts after I've given it a go.  If it doesn't work, I may also be back in a G2.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb GoodHope:

Well I'm disappointed for you and also because my index arrives tomorrow (Sunday FedEx)...  Obviously everyone's experience is different so I'll give my thoughts after I've given it a go.  If it doesn't work, I may also be back in a G2.

Please report also what you think about the index!

If you did not experienced the "sharpness" of a G2 or alike, the index is it. I still use her for all other VR games, except dcs msfs and alike, and she is better in every regard except the "clearness".

If you ever seen that, you can't fly in the index any more, even so I cuss at the G2 every single time I put her on. 

2 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

If you did not experienced the "sharpness" of a G2 or alike, the index is it. I still use her for all other VR games, except dcs msfs and alike, and she is better in every regard except the "clearness".

If you ever seen that, you can't fly in the index any more, even so I cuss at the G2 every single time I put her on. 

Yep that was my experience as well. I was using G2 for flight sims and Index for all other VR games with controllers.

Now have gone back to one headset with the Vive Pro 2 which I can still use my Index controllers with.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Lt_Jaeger:

That's why I am going to use the G2 now. I try to get used to it because the clarity - despite the blurry image around the corner - was better than with the index. So much so, that I found the 3D effect was more intense with it.

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Yep that was my experience as well. I was using G2 for flight sims and Index for all other VR games with controllers.

Now have gone back to one headset with the Vive Pro 2 which I can still use my Index controllers with.

I remember what it was like going from a CV1 to the Reverb G1.  The difference with the G1 was noticeable, but it was weird how I didn't get a "HOLY S***!" reaction to the difference in clarity.  What really hit home for me was when, just for giggles, I put the CV1 back on after using the G1 in DCS for a while.  DEFINITELY got that reaction, followed by "THIS IS TERRIBLE!  HOW DID I DEAL WITH THIS FOR 3 YEARS?!!"  LOL

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

4 hours ago, dburne said:

This is interesting given you advised me, "...if you did not find the Reverb G2 acceptable for you then maybe VR is not for you yet."  Could you clarify, are you using the Vive Pro 2 for DCS as well?

2 hours ago, GoodHope said:

This is interesting given you advised me, "...if you did not find the Reverb G2 acceptable for you then maybe VR is not for you yet."  Could you clarify, are you using the Vive Pro 2 for DCS as well?

Absolutely. For flight sims I find the Vive Pro 2 every bit as good as the Reverb G2. I gained a little in horizontal FOV as well.

However - this is the part I emphasize - If one does not already have the Lighthouse tracking system, then just for flight sims alone, the Reverb G2 is the way to go due to the big price difference. If one already has the Lighthouse tracking system, like I had with the Index, then the Vive Pro 2 is a pretty good deal - especially if one enjoys some made for VR games that utilize the controllers like I do.

So for me - I was running Reverb G2 for flight sims, and Index for those made for VR games. The Index just did not have the sharpness and clarity in the cockpits like the Reverb G2 has. But it did have the awesome Lighthouse controllers, and Index looked pretty good with those made for VR games.

Now with Vive Pro 2 using the same Lighthouse tracking system I already had with the Index, it does great for both my flight sims and those made for VR games I enjoy. So for me it allows me to get back to using just one headset for all my games. And no need for WMR is a nice benefit, though I rarely had any trouble with WMR and my Reverb G2.

Edited by dburne

Don B

59 minutes ago, dburne said:

Absolutely. For flight sims I find the Vive Pro 2 every bit as good as the Reverb G2. I gained a little in horizontal FOV as well.

However - this is the part I emphasize - If one does not already have the Lighthouse tracking system, then just for flight sims alone, the Reverb G2 is the way to go due to the big price difference. If one already has the Lighthouse tracking system, like I had with the Index, then the Vive Pro 2 is a pretty good deal - especially if one enjoys some made for VR games that utilize the controllers like I do.

So for me - I was running Reverb G2 for flight sims, and Index for those made for VR games. The Index just did not have the sharpness and clarity in the cockpits like the Reverb G2 has. But it did have the awesome Lighthouse controllers, and Index looked pretty good with those made for VR games.

Now with Vive Pro 2 using the same Lighthouse tracking system I already had with the Index, it does great for both my flight sims and those made for VR games I enjoy. So for me it allows me to get back to using just one headset for all my games. And no need for WMR is a nice benefit, though I rarely had any trouble with WMR and my Reverb G2.

Great info--you should delete the other post and replace it with this actually helpful information.

Don has actually been posting that information in some form or another since the day he made the decision to give the VP2 a try.  Its not his fault if people don't follow the threads here.  Just sayin'.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

5 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

Don has actually been posting that information in some form or another since the day he made the decision to give the VP2 a try.  Its not his fault if people don't follow the threads here.  Just sayin'.

Oh for Christ's sake--so you can post vaguely misleading information somewhere as long as you posted the helpful information elsewhere?  Let Don answer for himself.

I see no need to replace any posts...

• Like 1

Don B

11 hours ago, GoodHope said:

Oh for Christ's sake--so you can post vaguely misleading information somewhere as long as you posted the helpful information elsewhere?  Let Don answer for himself.

Wow.  You sure do get offended easily.

As with any conversation (which is what forums are), context is important.  If you don't have that context because you haven't been following the threads, that is your fault, not the fault of the other poster.  Nobody here should have to put a manifesto about what their views are on a subject with every post they make, or "correct" anything they post just to make you happy.

Edited by eaglecash867

On 7/18/2021 at 2:22 AM, MrFlatfoot said:

Please report also what you think about the index!

My thoughts pretty much mirror yours so mine will also be going back.  Inside the cockpit looked very nice and the edges weren't blurry, but other than that it just didn't give the same depth that the G2 gave.