Streamdeck Emergency brake issue

So I am trying to program the actuation of the Emergency brake on my F/A-18C through my Streamdeck XL. I have done many buttons but this one has me stumped.  I want to use a single “switch” to simulate engaged (pulled out) and disengaged (pushed in).  I can engage it, but disengage it. 

Has anyone tried this and were you successful?  Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Chewmann

I haven't tried it out, but a quick look at the settings shows that it's using 3 seperate IDs and their all different.

This makes it difficult (if not impossible) on a single button.

If I get time I'll have a try, but I reckon with my poor programming skills I'd need a minimum of 2 buttons to get it to work, guessing one button the rotate the handle then a second to push or pull the handle in and out.

Sometimes it's not worth the candle and I end up using a Hotkey to implement commands like this

I gave it a try but no joy, with my skills though that's not surprising.

It looks like it needs 3 separate actions but I don't know about the emergency part of the brake.

Don't think it's directly programmable using Streamdeck unless you use several buttons, which is a just a PIA.

Perhaps somebody super clever will come a along, there are some awesome programming folks on here

Big Fail from me Sorry

On 7/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, Chewmann said:

So I am trying to program the actuation of the Emergency brake on my F/A-18C through my Streamdeck XL. I have done many buttons but this one has me stumped.  I want to use a single “switch” to simulate engaged (pulled out) and disengaged (pushed in).  I can engage it, but disengage it. 

Has anyone tried this and were you successful?  Any help would be appreciated.

Got it.
ED didn't exactly make this easy. Thankfully Elgato themselves saved the day with the Multi Action Switch that no-one uses 😄 

I think that the stow commands can be optimized by about 50%. The way that I successfully found out the right sequence was by looking at the autostart lua and matching the devices and their respective values. Enjoy!

Oh, I almost forgot that there is a condition where the wrong action may fire after you hop in a new plane. It's fine, noticeable, and does not cause any problems. The next press of the Command resyncs everything.

You can also set a custom pic AND text for each state of the "switch" to make it more fun and informative. 

ykhLWVK.png

Also, my F-18.lua had two [240] entries. I personally commented out the "[240] = "%.4f",   -- EmergParkBrakeHandle" one by making it "-- [240] = "%.4f",   -- EmergParkBrakeHandle". 

Edited by Bailey
  • Like 1

That was the first time I have used any multi actions in that way. I can see it opening possibilities with macro sequences like completing a personalized autostart or having a single button to dial a specific frequency or a handful of other things. 

8 hours ago, Chewmann said:

Bailey ~ the one you created was for the parking brake.  It works great!!!

With the knowledge you shared, I was able to create the Emergency Brake "engage" and "disengage" functions as well.

E Brake.png

Hahaha, I didnt see you wanted the emergency brake. That's pretty funny that you got it on your own in the end. Nice work! 😄

Edited by Bailey

I just used it for the Stang Canopy, which is borked at the moment, the keybinds don't work and using the Script only moves the Canopy back or forward about an 1/8th.

So I just repeated the commands and a Streamdeck Pause between each of them, that works really well and stops me having to stab at the button repeatedly.

Nice find for sure

1 hour ago, Chewmann said:

Bailey - you mentioned you were able to see the individual commands for the P brake in the startup.lua. I searched for it and it wasn’t found.  Where does it reside?

Take a look here ‘DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\<PickAircraft>\Cockpit\Scripts\Macro_sequencies.lua’
and this post

Glad the multi action worked out. Another way I had thought of using it is to send a command, then change profile. This could be useful if you have limited space and want to expand out a dial with a lot of values. For example from an FA-18 profile you have an INS button that goes to a FA-18-INS profile that has all the options as multi actions. So you could click “SEA-ALIGN” and it would select that dial value then also go back to FA-18 profile. Saves the user from pressing the back button out of a folder if it’s known they only want to do one button press. 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately with the multi action you are stuck with a static image on that button. Would this be a case where people would want the ability to send multiple commands (to different IDs or sequential values to same ID) from one button press added to the plugin? Also if I could get a multi-state (more than two states) switch working would that be better?

4 hours ago, ctytler said:

Glad the multi action worked out. Another way I had thought of using it is to send a command, then change profile. This could be useful if you have limited space and want to expand out a dial with a lot of values. For example from an FA-18 profile you have an INS button that goes to a FA-18-INS profile that has all the options as multi actions. So you could click “SEA-ALIGN” and it would select that dial value then also go back to FA-18 profile. Saves the user from pressing the back button out of a folder if it’s known they only want to do one button press. 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately with the multi action you are stuck with a static image on that button. Would this be a case where people would want the ability to send multiple commands (to different IDs or sequential values to same ID) from one button press added to the plugin? Also if I could get a multi-state (more than two states) switch working would that be better?

I personally prefer one profile for everything. I feel like it makes life easier. I typically make my profiles at most 2 layers (1 layer deep), requiring a single back button press at any time. Then again, I am also thankful that I have an XL. 

That would be interesting to see a multi-button multi-state. How would you determine which state is "switched on"? In the F18 parking brake exercise we used a "multi-action switch" that switches between two "multi actions" automatically. The multi-action switch supports two image states, accordingly.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, Bailey said:

Take a look here ‘DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\<PickAircraft>\Cockpit\Scripts\Macro_sequencies.lua’
and this post

Nice!!!  That is a gem for me.

On your other comment, I too am very happy to have the XL.  I am so glad I took the leap for the larger one!!!!

On 7/14/2021 at 4:44 AM, Weegie said:

I just used it for the Stang Canopy, which is borked at the moment, the keybinds don't work and using the Script only moves the Canopy back or forward about an 1/8th.

So I just repeated the commands and a Streamdeck Pause between each of them, that works really well and stops me having to stab at the button repeatedly.

Nice find for sure

Weegie - did you check the disable box…which prevents sending another value upon release of the switch?  That might be the reason it only goes so far.

Edited by Chewmann

1 hour ago, Chewmann said:

Weegie - did you check the disable box…which prevents sending another value upon release of the switch?  That might be the reason it only goes so far.

Hi Chewmann

Yeah I tried it both ways and it made no difference, it broken at the moment, the keybinds don't work either

Thanks for the suggestion though appreciated