Autopilot sways off course

Mivina

This has been a pain in my ass ever since I bought the module and this is why I don't use autopilot and have to fly 20 minute flights myself. When you set your autopilot to level flight it doesn't manage to stay on course. It seems that it either doesn't apply rudder at all or applies it not enough and the helicopter goes into a slight right turn. I see the mechanic as giving controls to the second pilot, so I would assume he is capable of looking at the instruments and staying aligned with the right numbers. Also, the transition to autopilot seems a little bit too agressive. Every time i'm afraid of the rotor jumping off from snaplike collective movement or engine stalling from low rpm.

• Like 3

It was not intended to be an autopilot that will fly for you. It was more of a momentary help, while you look at the map, or change frequency. I know about this tendeny, so I go left of required heading before giving him control. It works for quick trip to the loo or to get some snack

• Like 3

10.07.2021 в 15:26, admiki сказал:

It was not intended to be an autopilot that will fly for you. It was more of a momentary help, while you look at the map, or change frequency. I know about this tendeny, so I go left of required heading before giving him control. It works for quick trip to the loo or to get some snack

I don't know what it was intended for, but right now it looks exactly like a bug. If it was momentary, they could make it disconnect after a certain time. It can precisely fly at an altitude but can't follow a number on the compass

P.S. Expecting a 2-pilot helicopter to have a fully functional autopilot in the absence of a second player is fine by me. Taking into account that this helicopter is so bareboned that it's physically demanding to fly even 20 miles. Especially since the pilots alternate in real life, and the second pilot should be just as qualified, so I don't see the issue

Edited by Mivina
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mivina said:

it's physically demanding to fly even 20 miles.

I always end up flying it for so long on the search and recue server that I run out of fuel...

"has it really been 2 hours???"

the fix you are looking for is not "autopilot" 

its removing the centre return spring from your joystick.

or if you don't want to do that then trim, trim, trim.

both remove the physically demanding fight with the centre return spring. As helicopters don't have return springs.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Yeah, I too was wondering about that physically demanding part? I believe he means it's hard to trim it so it will fly itself. While that might be so, I remember one instance where my pilot got killed, but helicopter kept flying. I waited to see how long before it crashed. After 10 minutes I got bored and bailed out.

• Like 1

17 часов назад, Quadg сказал:

I always end up flying it for so long on the search and recue server that I run out of fuel...

"has it really been 2 hours???"

the fix you are looking for is not "autopilot" 

its removing the centre return spring from your joystick.

or if you don't want to do that then trim, trim, trim.

both remove the physically demanding fight with the centre return spring. As helicopters don't have return springs.

Still not my point. I use trimming, so spring is fine, but you still need to keep your hand on stick and throttle at all times. You don't really in real life, you can just pass it onto your friend to the right for 10 minutes. If it looks like a bug, swims like a bug and quacks like a bug then it is a bug. At least I think that it does, you notice how the helicopter starts turning right every time, with the same amount of turn. I think they just need to tune it better

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 2:45 PM, Sharkku said:

I agree with you, @Mivina. It needs to be fixed. The argument "it's not an autopilot, it's intended to simulate a co-pilot" doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to keep a compass heading. A real copilot would be able to.

^This^

• Like 3

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Found this when I was playing around with the output through export.lua

With the AI co-pilot holding level flight (AP on):

arg(133) [slip indicator] value = average .0051

arg(142) [roll] value = -.0002

Doing some manual testing (AP on/off), .0051 for the gauge on the slip indicator value causes a lot of heading/track drift over 10 nm.  With AP on, the co-pilot just holds a positive slip, there is drift in the value over long periods of time, but it is not what you would expect if you were modeling a human pilot.  This seems to be a bug, it just doesn't reference 0 slip or ever get close enough to maintain track/ trim flight (min value observed: .0047)

Edited by pbishop
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 8/18/2021 at 11:45 PM, Sharkku said:

The argument "it's not an autopilot, it's intended to simulate a co-pilot" doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to keep a compass heading. A real copilot would be able to.

totally agree with this, and would even go as far as saying, the copilot should also be able to turn and follow new headings, whenever the player adjusts the heading bug

• Like 2

The reason why the copilot can't hold a heading is actually fairly simple.

it's because the forces acting upon the helicopter in flight are not properly balanced while the autopilot is acting like they are.

I'm working on a flight model/dynamics document that will go into detail as to what's going on, give me time
But in short, translating tendency is simply not modeled in the aircraft due to the lack of lateral thrust by the tail rotor, its presence in high speed flight is faked by the excessive torque requirement at cruise speeds.
Combined with the improper volume of aerodynamic side force acting upon the helicopter and you end up with an autopilot that tries to fly wings level but ends up veering off course because the torque isn't balanced properly by the side forces on.. enough, you get the idea.

The autopilot wasn't designed to veer off course deliberately.

Edited by Tim_Fragmagnet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tim_Fragmagnet yes, i think you already mentioned that somewhere. i am very glad you have the understanding and time to dig deeper into what's wrong and how this could be solved. thanks so much for doing this!

i'm just thinking, on the other hand, if the autopilot would just follow the heading bug, it would still do a better job despite the FM quirks. and it would be more useful as you could navigate with AP engaged.

for info:

Edited by HILOK
added for info
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...