New: FSR support for SteamVR via mod

mhe

So the same guy who made our vision within VR finally sharp (via the reshade mod) now injects experimental AMD FSR support into SteamVR. I'll have to check that out:

https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

AMD FSR should work on Nvidia cards as well mind you, so can't go wrong with that one. Hope you'll enjoy and please share your findings, gotta go and play with that myself now.

• Like 1

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Now that's interesting.  Would love to see ED have a go at this.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

4 minutes ago, Werewolf_fs said:

Nevermind then, I'll have a look there, thanks, didn't see that one. 

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried the RC2 version and it's killed something. When I start DCS SteamVR ALWAYS shuts down with a critical error. No information so your left holding your joystick wandering what happened. I tried reverting to the original DLL and deleted the RC2 files. Same thing. I'm still tring to figure out how to get DCS back to just SteamVR and DCS. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR and running a full on repair of DCS but it doesn't seem to do any good. X-Plane seem to run fine under SteamVR and DCS runs fine when not in VR mode but there is something screwed up when I try to run DCS in VR mode.
I also noticed that NeckSafer is also screwed up but I havent gotten to trouble shooting that one yet.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SPAS79 said:

I am trying to get DCS to start in SteamVR mode (I'm running a Rift S) but find it extremely difficult to. It ALWAYS starts with the Oculus API, even if I select the SteamVR API in Skatezilla's... Any ideas? 

Put the following in the DCS Shortcut Target Line:    DCS.exe" --force_steam_VR

I have a Rift S and this is how I get Steam Vr to work.. 🙂  

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Seems the solution was twofold: 
1) Re-enable SteamVR as OpenVR Renderer (it's in settings->developer)

2) Start DCS via the "VR ON" button on Skatezilla's DCS GUI config utility, that worked. 

I can now use VRNeckSafer and the OpenVR AMD FSR "hack", so I can be a happy man. I think I will still end up playing in native Oculus API, but it's nice to have choices. 

so before this i was running DCS at .5 PD inside DCS and 230% resolution in SteamVR and was getting about 16.2-17.8 Frames per mili Second on the ground at an airport.

with this put in, and leaving it at the .77 and everything else default i went down to 14.2-15 FPMS, which really is a big differance. Being that anything about 19 starting becoming jittery.

So because of this i was able to up my SteamVR resolution to 400% which is like 4K being DCS was down to .5 and on the ground i am getting 16-17 FPMS and up in the air it drops to 14-15FPMS.

So this really helped alot. all this is on the Reverb G2

with my system being

I-7 10700

RTX 2070 no overclock

32 Gigs of 3200 corsair vengence ram

Nvme disk

EDIT: so just to add a little more to this, i just now finished playing a two hour stint in the harrier, do the training missions and man was it fun.

like I said on the ground i was averaging about 17MS in the one i was doing, but it was smooth with the FPS locked at 45 with motion smoothing.

and being that I just went from the Rift S to the Reverb G2 on this same system, man was that just nice looking.

The mission I was in actually had a helio come flying in and land and for the first time I was actually able to see the Red and Green lights blinking

lol. Sounds mondain but you just don't get the colors like that in the Rift S.

Only thing i wish i could get rid of now is the damn Shimmering. I get a fair amount of that, but no matter what i have tried nothing really seems

to make that go away. maybe if i went higher with the SS% but I don't want to get to a point where i start getting ghosting while on the ground.

So I think I can live with it.

Edited by Sirbum
  • Thanks 1

Put the following in the DCS Shortcut Target Line:    DCS.exe" --force_steam_VR

I have a Rift S and this is how I get Steam Vr to work..   

Does this work with open composite as well?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

On 8/14/2021 at 11:44 AM, VirusAM said:

well I am not sure best bet is to try it and see if it works?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

well I am not sure best bet is to try it and see if it works?

I will as the temperature will allow me to seat near a pc too much heat here right now

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

On 8/14/2021 at 5:44 PM, VirusAM said:

No, the DLL file that you must to overwrite is the same for OpenComposite and FSR, so our best bet is to someone take the OpenComposite DLL and mod it, adding the code needed for FSR

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

On 7/9/2021 at 2:27 AM, mhe said:

AMD FSR should work on Nvidia cards as well mind you, so can't go wrong with that one. Hope you'll enjoy and please share your findings, gotta go and play with that myself now.

mhe, how did it work for you?  I got it working, I think.  It seems there is a decent uplift in performance and at Ultra Performance I don't see much of an impact on quality.  I haven't done a lot of testing so would like to hear thoughts from others!

On 8/17/2021 at 8:01 AM, MorrisTheCat said:

mhe, how did it work for you?  I got it working, I think.  It seems there is a decent uplift in performance and at Ultra Performance I don't see much of an impact on quality.  I haven't done a lot of testing so would like to hear thoughts from others!

Works for me and gives a bit of a performance boost but I do get really bad shimmering with it for some reason, so I don't use it at the  moment.