Should the TGP be this difficult?

dporter22

4 hours ago, dporter22 said:

It's interesting that the F-16 TGP image quality is significantly worse than the A-10 in DCS.

Yeah, because the A-10 one isn't realistic. Hornet isn't, either. Tomcat's LANTIRN pod is, though, and it's an even crappier image.

On 7/7/2021 at 4:53 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

It is accurate. LITENING doesn't produce movie-quality images with its camera. ATFLIR and Sniper are better, but not by much. Thermal imaging is worse. Digital zoom doesn't help as much as it does in DCS, either. You can spot vehicles just fine because of the hot engines, but it's pretty hard to tell what exactly they are.

As for how they find stuff IRL? FACs and JTACs. 🙂 The whole point of having a guy (or girl, these days) on the ground with a laser pointer and a belt of smoke grenades, or in a Cessna with WP rockets, is to remove any ambiguity as to where and what the target is. Otherwise, you might end up bombing your own troops, as it happened at one point with a Sniper-toting B-1. 

The Sniper is worlds apart from both the ATFLIR and the Litening in every single aspect. The main reason the USAF used both the Sniper and the LANTIRN pods for their Block 50's in 2007 was because the Snipers widest FOV was too narrow for some applications, like CAS. That's why they used their scrappy old LANTIRN pods which were obsolete in every single way, because the wider FOV made it easier to perform certain missions and at such close ranges, things like low resolution isn't that big of an issue.

As an aside, I've heard a viper pilot say he got an A-A point track from 86nm away with the Sniper pod. I'd like to see someone pull that off with the ATFLIR, Litening or LANTIRN pod. I've basically only touched upon the optics in this post, but there are so many software feature additions and improvements in the Sniper compared to the other pods that it's absolutely insane.

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Sniper is better, but still not at the level the pods on other aircraft in DCS are. It certainly didn't stop that Bone from dropping an LGB in the middle of friendly troops. It's certainly great at tracking things, but when you've got a hot spot against a cold background (as is the case when attempting an A-A track), it's not a particularly useful measure. I'd be more interested in how much detail you can see when looking at the ground.

6 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Sniper is better, but still not at the level the pods on other aircraft in DCS are. It certainly didn't stop that Bone from dropping an LGB in the middle of friendly troops. It's certainly great at tracking things, but when you've got a hot spot against a cold background (as is the case when attempting an A-A track), it's not a particularly useful measure. I'd be more interested in how much detail you can see when looking at the ground.

I don't know why you're referring to this B-1 incident as some sort of proof that the Sniper pod is less crisp IRL than the Litening/ATFLIR is in-game? Just go on youtube and search for some Sniper pod footage. You can see zoom level, distance from target, both TV and WHOT/BHOT. 

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Have autogain and manual gain been implemented?  Neither setting does anything for me.

First pic is autogain, second pic is manual at 0, third pic is manual at 8.  No difference between any of them.

Also, why is there a small but noticeable grid pattern in the F-16 TGP view (zoom in on the white part of the fuel tank), but it's clear in the A-10 (last pic)?  

Screen_210710_165033.png

Screen_210710_165039.png

Screen_210710_165043.png

Screen_210710_165828.png

Edited by dporter22

On 7/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, dporter22 said:

How do I get a ground stabilized slewable view in snowplow mode like it shows Wags doing in his video?   He said it's TMS up, but that doesn't work for me and does nothing.

Anyone?

#1, be in CCRP. In CCIP TGP LOS is forced equal to pipper LOS.

#2 TGP SOI

#3 TMS right (or up but point track makes no sense coming directly out of SP)

It don't work right so don't get used to it but the above will get you there for now.

Edited by Frederf

9 minutes ago, dporter22 said:

Thanks, but I was asking about the snowplow mode not the axes.

Yes. If your axes are not perfectly centered, you may have trouble getting Area Track or Point Track to work. Other people have solved this problem by adding a deadzone.

7 minutes ago, Frederf said:

#1, be in CCRP. In CCIP TGP LOS is forced equal to pipper LOS.

#2 TGP SOI

#3 TMS right (or up but point track makes no sense coming directly out of SP)

It don't work right so don't get used to it but the above will get you there for now.

Does this also force it out of CCIP?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

I'm confused, neither Area Track nor Point Track require the stick to be centered and what do they have to do with ground stabilized and slewable snowplow mode?

In Wags' video he enters snowplow mode and then hits TMS Up to ground stabilize and slew the TGP LOS.  That doesn't work for me so my question was how to do that.

• Like 1

They're talking about noise that could cause deflection of the cursor axis, not stick axis.

In SP mode, with TGP as SOI, and in CCRP with a bomb selected, you can TMS Up or TMS Right to stabilize the pod on the ground.

Infinitely easier to use a steerpoint though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

Ok, I'll try again.  Agree to disagree on using the steerpoint though. If there's something I need to look at that's not a steerpoint, making a new steerpoint is much more time consuming than simply boresighting the TGP and slewing as needed.

1 hour ago, Machalot said:

Yes. If your axes are not perfectly centered, you may have trouble getting Area Track or Point Track to work. Other people have solved this problem by adding a deadzone.

Does this also force it out of CCIP?

No. Far as I can tell right now CCIP forces TGP LOS to pipper no matter what, even if TGP is set to STBY.