Optional removal of refueling probe cover

ShinyMikey

I think this has been mentioned before at some point, but I wonder if Heatblur would consider making a special option to remove the refueling probe cover. We can see that this was common from many photos, because of the danger of damaging the probe when operating with USAF tankers. I know this is not a high priority item, but it would be a nice option to have at some point. 

5 hours ago, Tank50us said:

My only question is how would such a thing be incorporated?

I suppose it could be a checkbox in the mission editor, the same as with removing the weapon stations on the Huey. 

• 11 months later...

I bring up this thread because I'm really interested in having this option available.

It could be just a checkbox in the Mission Editor and it would be useful for the upcoming Iranian version too, as they usually fly without cover and the probe permanently extended.

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

On 7/1/2021 at 9:00 PM, ShinyMikey said:

I think this has been mentioned before at some point, but I wonder if Heatblur would consider making a special option to remove the refueling probe cover. We can see that this was common from many photos, because of the danger of damaging the probe when operating with USAF tankers. I know this is not a high priority item, but it would be a nice option to have at some point. 

+1. What else would be really cool is if we could damage our probe with the basket, up to and including snapping the probe off, getting the basket stuck on the probe, and the probe door getting bent. I like consequences...

Sorry, I got carried away, but I like where this is going. Too bad it's low priority!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

11 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

+1. What else would be really cool is if we could damage our probe with the basket, up to and including snapping the probe off, getting the basket stuck on the probe, and the probe door getting bent. I like consequences...

Anything probe and its DM related is on ED and they have AAR modeling revisit in plans.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Well, we'd need Iron Maiden-equipped USAF tankers first. 🙂 BTW, that it was because of possible damage to the probe is only part of the truth - it was removed because if the big metal basket snapped the probe off (which wasn't so rare), it would often do it in such a way that the cover would fly off and FOD the right engine. With a hose, ripping the basket off was more likely, which was a source of some embarassment for the pilot (especially when the thing ended up in the squadron's ready room with his name on it 🙂 ), but it wouldn't kill the engine.

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Well, we'd need Iron Maiden-equipped USAF tankers first. 🙂 BTW, that it was because of possible damage to the probe is only part of the truth - it was removed because if the big metal basket snapped the probe off (which wasn't so rare), it would often do it in such a way that the cover would fly off and FOD the right engine. With a hose, ripping the basket off was more likely, which was a source of some embarassment for the pilot (especially when the thing ended up in the squadron's ready room with his name on it 🙂 ), but it wouldn't kill the engine.

Exactly! I'm logging it into the dream category for now...good stuff!

3 hours ago, draconus said:

Anything probe and its DM related is on ED and they have AAR modeling revisit in plans.

Didn't know that and thank you for the info. I look forward to it!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!