Are autotrim and autopilot broken?

dporter22

Neither autotrim nor any of the autopilot modes work for me after the last update. 

Also, the airplane sometimes pitches up and/or down for no reason (not jetwash, gusts, etc.).

Anyone else having these issues?

Edited by dporter22

1 hour ago, Xavven said:

No problems here. Post a track?

Ditto.  Used in Marianas.

• Like 1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // VKB STECS Mini Plus Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

2 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Neither autotrim nor any of the autopilot modes work for me after the last update. 

Also, the airplane sometimes pitches up and/or down for no reason (not jetwash, gusts, etc.).

Anyone else having these issues?

Acceleration and deceleration is causing that pitching and it has been reported as far as I know,

auto trim and autopilot, you'll need to explain that a bit more or post a track.

Maybe a stuck key? Or double bindings?

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

No stuck keys, bindings correct, haven't changed anything, etc.  Autopilot functions and autotrim simply don't work.

Pitching is not from acceleration/deceleration as far as I can tell.  The airplane simply pitches up and down for no reason when flying along straight and level.  Will try to get a track.

21 minutes ago, dporter22 said:

No stuck keys, bindings correct, haven't changed anything, etc.  Autopilot functions and autotrim simply don't work.

Pitching is not from acceleration/deceleration as far as I can tell.  The airplane simply pitches up and down for no reason when flying along straight and level.  Will try to get a track.

Is it a gradual or sudden pitch up and down? 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

It's a sudden pitch, and not often, just sometimes.  Almost seems like it's related to the autopilot, but the autopilot doesn't work.

In the attached track you can see that the altitude hold sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, and none of the other modes work.

You can also see that autotrim doesn't work, at least not how I understand it.  I thought that it attempts to trim in pitch to 1g, but my airplane continually climbs or dives.

autopilot.trk

Sudden uncommanded pitch sounds like a glitchy and noisy joystick to me.  That could also prevent the autopilot from engaging, or deactivate the autopilot unexpectedly.

I don't have the ability to watch the track right now.  When you say "my airplane continually climbs or dives" is it drifting further and further nose up or nose down?  This could also be caused by a glitchy controller.  Have you used the control overlay (right ctr+enter) to see if it's inputting anything you're not commanding?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Good suggestion, but no, it's not the stick.  Axes are mapped and adjusted correctly, and no uncommanded input on the overlay.  Autopilot works fine in the A-10.

Yes, it drifts nose up, nose down, left bank, and right bank.  Prior to the latest update it would hold position (within reason of course) and all of the autopilot functions worked properly.

Edited by dporter22

I just watched your track.  I turned on the control overlay (right ctrl+enter) and immediately saw that your stick is not centered.  Your stick input at the start is back and slightly left (pitch up and roll left).  This obviously causes drift and will interfere with the autopilot.  The "neutral" position of your stick varies throughout the track, but it is typically left of center, and sometimes aft of center.  You need to service your joystick.  To confirm this you should add a deadzone to your joystick axes in the DCS control bindings and turn on the overlay.

As for the autotrim, flying 1g will only hold the current pitch attitude if you are rolled wings level.  Any bank angle other than zero requires more than 1 g to hold the pitch angle.  For level flight the equation is

load factor = 1/cos(bank angle)

Edited by Machalot
suggest deadzone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dporter22 said:

So apparently any stick movement at all in the F-16 cancels the autopilot.

It tolerates some stick movement, but maybe less than the Hog. 

I started having this problem recently.  I tested all of my controllers one-by-one and still had the problem.

I then uninstalled vJoy and the problem disappeared.  I had been running vJoy 2.18.39.

I downloaded and installed vJoy 2.1.9.1-160719, and the problem seems to have been fixed.

YMMV

Edit: my mileage varied. Problem is back after plugging everything back in. Still happens if o uninstall vJoy. When I load a mission X/Y axes are in top left corner and wheel brakes are on. There are not any double mappings.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Well I think I’ve got something corrupt in my Config folder. I deleted the whole thing and no longer had the problem. Tomorrow I’ll restore my other jets and remap the Viper, and hopefully that’ll take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I’m a damn idiot.

Still had the problem after remapping my controls.

It was because the 3 ways toggle I use for autopilot pitch hold was activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler