Hornet Radar has real trouble finding targets and loses lock

Jagged8988
Go to solution Solved by Hulkbust44,

Hi All

I have been trying to work this out different things I have read on reddit say the hornet radar is currently bugged.

Sorry if this has been posted numerous times.

Basically It doesnt seem to pick up targets till there quite close and when it does it constantly loses lock all the time.

Also could someone confirm is the Radar INS switch meant to be changed to NAV mode? If so do you change it on the ground or in the Air ? 

INS (inertial navigation system) has nothing to do with the radar. If the mission date is after 1986 you should put the INS knob to IFA once the ground or CV alignment has been completed. If before 1986 use NAV. If you are in NAV when you should be in IFA your left DDI advisory line will display P/INS.

Inboard of the INS knob is the radar operation mode knob. Make sure this is on operate.

(Give me a minute, rereading you question)

Mobius708

• Solution

So the Hornet radar was severaly bugged last patch but is working great right now. (Well as it's designed by ED)
Most likely you aren't adjusting the radar elevation to where it can see the target.
You adjust the antenna angle with the HOTAS command "antenna elevation control." You can see the maximum and minimum altitude search values on the yellow TDC cursor on the attack format. The top number shows the maximum view of the radar cone at the cursors range, and the bottom shows the minimum value.

Mobius708

• Like 1

Another thing to check is the brick fade out timer, which is incorrectly affecting how long a track file lasts in the radar's memory. The default for the AIM-120 is 4 seconds, bumping it up to something like 8 or 16 seconds helps a lot.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/