Instant action missions F-14A lacking 74X TACAN carrier preset

GumidekCZ

Reporting bug, that (as title of this topic say): Instant action missions F-14A lacking 74X TACAN carrier preset 😕. Its not a major but, thats for sure, but its very annoying if you have to set TACAN code over and over again every mission refly.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the similiar problem in s'player mission for F-14B ("defend the fleet" as I can remember). The proper setting was present in Jester menu, he executed it but TACAN was not working then. I checked the mission then in ME and recognized that TACAN for Stennis had been set to 1X not to 74X as briefing was telling (and also Jester menu). After changing it in ME, everything works.

I am afraid, that greater number of single missions is bugged like that.

Edited by Padre Pio

5 hours ago, Padre Pio said:

I checked the mission then in ME and recognized that TACAN for Stennis had been set to 1X not to 74X as briefing was telling (and also Jester menu)

Jester has no way of knowing what is in the briefing. Menu always takes starting values from the mission. That's why Jester menu showed only what was set already in his TACAN. The kneeboard otoh can show you the list of available TACAN stations set in the mission.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

8 hours ago, draconus said:

Jester has no way of knowing what is in the briefing. Menu always takes starting values from the mission. That's why Jester menu showed only what was set already in his TACAN. The kneeboard otoh can show you the list of available TACAN stations set in the mission.

Thank you Captain! I will check it again 😉 Still learning F-14, but really like it.

• 2 months later...

Hi, folks! Just bought the Kitten 🙂

Similar issue on my end, i.e. I know the kneeboard must somehow "suck" TACAN channels ouf of the mission, trouble is - there may be something wrong with it.

I admit I have absolutely no idea how one assigns channels to tankers and carriers IRL, so in my mission I just set 11X for a carrier, 13X for KC-130, and 15X for KC-135 (it is a "big mess for doing everything" type of mission - you can AAR, do this/that etc.). Now, the kneeboard in my Tomcat showed this:

11Y - carrier (instead of 11X)
13X - KC-130 (correct)
15Y - KC-135 (instead of 15X)

That's off the top of my head, but for sure in two cases the kneeboard claimed it was "Y", while it was "X", and for one of the three the channel was all correct. The numbers alone (11, 13, 15) were correct for all three of them.

Maybe that's not a big deal, but I like a lot how Heatblur folks explore the kneeboard functionality in their modules (especially in the Viggy, where it's super important), so it would be cool if everything worked correctly there. Or maybe the code for the kneeboard went haywire because one cannot assign "X" channels for moving TACAN stations? Or something of this sort? I really don't know.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Beauty! Thanks, draconus. The weekend is coming, I'll try and report back.

EDIT: Changed to channels from the white area in the chart above: carrier 41X, Texaco 43X, Arco 45X. I still got "Y" in the kneeboard for tankers (picture attached). Of course all the stations do actually work on channels prescribed in the mission.

Well, I heard somewhere that flying TACANs are "usually" Y, but I thought it was a kind of a rule, "social agreement" let's say, not a technical requirement.

Anyway... I've now changed my airborne TACANs to "Y" and I'll leave it like this. Y work (show as "Y").

41X_43X_45X.png

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box