R-828 no sound from this radio

YoYo

Hi, I cant force to hear something from R-828 (like morse code for example). The direction (arrow) works as it should, also, voice selector is set up to KP (3th position, so for R-828) and still no any sound. In this topic they are 2 videos, they have the same problem so looks like a bug:

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I have the same problem. R-863 and Jadro work fine, but with the R-828 I get silence. I'm pretty sure I have the frequency preset done correctly in the mission editor, the source selector knob set to the correct position (which appears to be mislabeled in the tooltips), automatic tuner pressed, etc. If it's a bug or missing feature, no big deal as it's early access and remarkably complete and functional for EA, just wondering if there's something I'm overlooking.

Also, does anyone know if the real Hind R-863 is manually tunable or only has presets? There's not even a placeholder graphic representation of tuning controls, so I wonder if the R-863 set for the Mi-24 was simplified compared to that of the Mi-8, being far less of a multirole helicopter than the Hip, or if it's a work in progress.

Edited by default762792
  • Like 1

It works. Try this mission attached below. I have a Hind air start and a Humvee on the ground broadcasting a sound file on 50 FM. When you start - turn the radio to channel 7 and press the AUT button to tune to it. Hold the button until green light extinguishes. Then switch the radio selector to VHF 2 (2nd position from the start) and listen.

test.miz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnuggleFairy said:

It works. Try this mission attached below. I have a Hind air start and a Humvee on the ground broadcasting a sound file on 50 FM. When you start - turn the radio to channel 7 and press the AUT button to tune to it. Hold the button until green light extinguishes. Then switch the radio selector to VHF 2 (2nd position from the start) and listen.

test.miz 266.86 kB · 1 download

I’ll try it and back with the report, did you test this also from Ramp Start (cold and dark)? 

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

2 hours ago, SnuggleFairy said:

Not tonight, but cold start shouldn't make a difference, as long as all the switches are in the right spots

To be sure, why do you use 2nd switch position on source panel (you wrote about it)? Its marked as VHF (as on my screenshot above). R-828 (KP in Russian cockpit) is on 3th position from the left on source sound panel.

AHdfl2j.jpg

This right knob (LISTEN here) doesnt work also.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Well. I'm baffled. SnuggleFairy's mission works as described, with the source selector in the second position. I've tried it several times to confirm that it's the R-828 that's picking up the signal, so at the very least there's something screwy about the hovering tooltips, the panel labeling, or the source selector switch functionality (or all 3).

Nevertheless, on my test mission, I have Beslan tower as channel 5 of the R-828 at 42.4mhz and can't get a reply on anything other than R-863 or Jadro, assuming I've programmed/tuned those.

Edited to add - I use the Russian cockpit as well, at least usually, but I've fiddled with this problem using both to account for things I may not have noticed as I am a native English speaker.

Edited by default762792

I don't think I was ever able to use R-828 to contact ATC in the Mi-8 as well. That radio is meant to be used to communicate with troops on the ground and you can use that station to home on their position. That said, R-828 uses FM frequency range and my wild guess is that those ATC frequencies listed on the F10 map are all in AM range, that's why you can't call on it. But you're right, the R-863 and Jadro work perfectly for ATC, with R-863 being the first position on the selector and the Jadro -4th. So, I believe, there's either a labeling bug in the english cockpit, or the station selector switch should go R-863, R-852, R-828, Jadro, then 2 ARK switches

Edited by SnuggleFairy
  • Like 1

Ah, that's a very good hypothesis regarding AM and ATC. I tried it in Batumi just to rule out the possibility the Beslan frequency was wrong, but no luck. I'll try it with something other than ATC.

Also, it does seem to make sense that the R-828 would be second switch position right after the R-863, based both on the Russian labeling and the fact that it's the second-most capable radio in the aircraft, at least as I understand it.

Thanks!

Edited by default762792

Actually, R-828 is labeled as "КР" is the Mi-8. So if that's true, then in the Mi-24, the R-828 should be the 3rd position and i'm guessing R-852 would be the 2nd position. Looks like the selector is bugged. Also that knob, that you mentioned YoYo. It works, like it changes the volume, but it doesn't have the turning animation looks like

Edited by SnuggleFairy

...and it works. Put a BRDM-2 in the woods broadcasting an audio file at 42.4mhz FM, R-828 channel 5, tuned it, set the source selector at position 2, and heard it loud and clear. Bugs/mislabelings are on ED, not understanding the difference between AM and FM is on me. 🙂

• Like 1

Hmmm... so looks like bug in radio source. I'll check after this patch Today, yesterday, however, I did not have the opportunity to check it.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Hi, Im back (I checked my mission again) and did some of reserach. Yes it works with some of tips from this topic - BUT its a bug still. See this:

1/ it works only on this channel - UK2 - so not like in Mi-8, the same source radio you have in Mi-8, so its not 2en position but 3th like on screens above.

Solution for ED Team: change position for KP as its in Mi-8 or Mi-24 English cockpit (or maybe its a bug in Mi-8 and in Mi-24 English cockpit description?). You should check how it should work again on KP or UK2 on radio source because there are discrepancies in how it works in Mi-8 and Mi-24 on the same avionics.

4NejbHI.jpg

In oryginal 3th is KP, 2en UK2 (so like in the model):

64b793165c615680.jpg

YVttPPH.jpg

2/ Still no sound with right settings. Here is right position for this switch to force to work the needle "2" for compass (change the position from compass to radio navigation) and in the same time you must hear the morse sound which is not the case. 

OAEhLSO.jpg

Middle possition is OFF (but sound its present only on middle possition what is wrong and on middle position the needle on ARK-U2 doesnt work what is right this time). So here's a mess. Solution for ED Team: change working station (sound) for the switch for R-828 position, not on OFF position (middle) plus add working volume knob on SRS.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Mi 8 has SPU 7, Mi-24P uses SPU 8. So radio selection panel doesn't necessarily need to be labeled/represented the same way but it is possible that it is a bug. 

Thing I think may be a more "serious" bug (if it even is a bug in the first place) is if you switch either R-852 or R-828 to compass (above ark u2 panel) sound will cut out for both radios I would expect sound to cut out only for the selected one. 

Everything else honestly works as expected.

Edited by XPACT

The ground crew is also bugged. You can ask for "rearm/refuel, the word copy appears on the screen,

but there is no audio response., Same for repair.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

5 minutes ago, rayrayblues said:

The ground crew is also bugged. You can ask for "rearm/refuel, the word copy appears on the screen,

but there is no audio response., Same for repair.

This is different subject. It works but on ICS swich position - so UP (Source Radio Panel), not on Radio.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

@YoYoOkay, so what about us who prefer to use easy comms?

How do we get the radio to work? I have programmed in all the necessary channels.

How do we get the radio to work?

I am also using hot start, shouldn't the radio be ready to go as it is in other modules??

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

11 minutes ago, rayrayblues said:

@YoYoOkay, so what about us who prefer to use easy comms?

How do we get the radio to work? I have programmed in all the necessary channels.

How do we get the radio to work?

I am also using hot start, shouldn't the radio be ready to go as it is in other modules??

Sorry, dont ask ma about easy comm option. I know nothing about it.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

@YoYoAll it does is switch channels for you so you don't have to "take your eyes off the road" to flip switches and turn dials.

Simply select the ATC you wish to talk to and you are there. It allows me to concentrate more on actually flying when I plan on multiple destinations.

Right now I can't get voice response on any channel or intercom whether set manually or not. Easy comms isn't the issue. What is going on?

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

This page explains how the ARK-U2 works.

Gerätetechnik - Die Ausbildung zum Hubschrauberführer der NVA. Ich hab's erlebt. (nva-flieger.de)

The central position is to establlish contact with the R-852 SAR beacon. Once the connexion is established, move the selector to the left position and set the HSI ARK-U2 selector to the ARK-U2 position.

NOTE THAT THE "CENTRAL POSITON IS MORE ON THE LEFT SIDE, RELATED TO THE R-852 OPERATION.

The pointer turns to the beacon position.

You can use the R-828 as a "reception beacon", setting the selector to the right.

But the audio signal of the R828 is listened, using the selector of the SPU.

Sorry for the poor exemple... English is not my mother tongue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1