Will the circuit breakers ever be modeled?

Barrett_g

Thank you, Weegie... but you are being too generous for my clumsy buttons, really 😄

@LeCuvier Weegie explained it all, but I may add one thing extra: with a little bit of Lua programming (modifying the so-called "export scripts") you may squeeze even more "juice" from this plugin than it allows out of the box. You don't have to, but you may. It's actually quite easy. @nosaMtrevoC showed what can be done with it in his profile for the Tomcat

Yeah, CB's on Anton... AFAIK Kurt Tank was an electrical engineer, that may explain the obscene number of CB'S on Anton and the fact that lots of things that were hydraulic on US planes (or pneumatic on the British ones) were electric on Focke-Wulfs.

EDIT: Oops... it's the Jug's forum. Sorry! In that case a screen from my P-47D-30 profile. There's only one CB here, but an important one - the one that likes to pop if you turn on too much cockpit illumination (as a result your oil pressuretemperature gauge dies, too). In the picture in the pushed-in state. When it pops, it goes red.

P-47D-30.png

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

very interesting! Thanks for the info!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, grafspee said:

Panel was installed inside cockpit from obvious reason , so that pilot could reset those breakers by pushing in case of pop out.

So, pilot could break circuits by pushing again right, or how so ??

A little late here but as an aircraft mechanic I would answer, "it depends".  Some of those pop out breakers have a little lip on the end that you can grab with your fingernails and pull it out.  I can't tell from the image if the breakers in the P47 are designed to be pulled out though. 

59 minutes ago, Andurula said:

A little late here but as an aircraft mechanic I would answer, "it depends".  Some of those pop out breakers have a little lip on the end that you can grab with your fingernails and pull it out.  I can't tell from the image if the breakers in the P47 are designed to be pulled out though. 

Maybe, but pilots often use gloves, i don't know what was standard equipment, but if pilots had full cover gloves, pulling out circuit barkers with finger nails was out of potion.

Ofc pilot could take gloves  out, but it looks far fetched for me already.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

2 hours ago, grafspee said:

Maybe, but pilots often use gloves, i don't know what was standard equipment, but if pilots had full cover gloves, pulling out circuit barkers with finger nails was out of potion.

Switch type circuit breakers (with the "lip") are easily pulled out even while wearing gloves if you are motivated. 

483 | E-T-A

The ones that aren't switch type cannot be manually tripped, only reset by pushing in.

There is no difference between a switch type CB and a toggle switch except for the overcurrent protection feature.

In fact, I have flown airplanes with circuit breaker toggle switches.

pb_w31-20.jpg

https://www.chiefaircraft.com/pb-w31.html

The rule for resetting circuit breakers that "pop" on their own is very simple. If the flight can be safely completed without reset, then you don't reset it.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

6 hours ago, grafspee said:

Well, regardless of how it looks to you, that is how they work.  You may be over thinking this.

Definitely overthinking this as the pilot doesn’t even have to pull them.

All he has to do is tell his chief to have the outboard gun CB’s pulled for him when he gets to the plane.

Pilot takes off, expends all his inboard gun ammunition, reaches down and pushes the two CB’s in and continues his mission… strafing with his now operational outboard guns.

54 minutes ago, Barrett_g said:

Definitely overthinking this as the pilot doesn’t even have to pull them.

All he has to do is tell his chief to have the outboard gun CB’s pulled for him when he gets to the plane.

Pilot takes off, expends all his inboard gun ammunition, reaches down and pushes the two CB’s in and continues his mission… strafing with his now operational outboard guns.

Surely you wouldn't risk flying around in a combat zone with half of your guns disabled. The other half could save your life, especially against tough ETO aerial targets. It just seems nonsensical to me.

6 hours ago, Mogster said:

Surely you wouldn't risk flying around in a combat zone with half of your guns disabled. The other half could save your life, especially against tough ETO aerial targets. It just seems nonsensical to me.

Late in the war there was a joke known and spread among German AAA crews:  “If the incoming planes are camouflaged, they are British.  If the incoming planes are bare aluminum, they are American.  If there are no planes, they’re the Luftwaffe!”

If it’s late in the war, you have air superiority, little ground resistance, and want more loiter time…. Then firing only half your guns makes sense.  Especially if you’re targets are soft targets.

Have you seen the gun cam video of the P-47’s scouring a town for ammo caches?  They’re literally flying through the countryside… squirting a few rounds into each building… until one blows up in a massive fireball!

A mission like this would be the perfect time to disable half your guns… you don’t need all 8 to shoot through houses.  Only shooting 4 at a time doubles your loiter time and let’s you search more houses.

Also, and most importantly…..  if you had half your guns disabled and were suddenly jumped by a bandit…. All you had to do was reach down and press two of the closest, most conveniently placed CB’s.  Just reach down and slap them in and you’ve got all 8 at your command.

Again… you guys are overthinking this issue.

Was this done frequently? No.

Could it have been done? Yes.

This is a sandbox simulation where every user can set up their missions the way they want and fly the mission with their aircraft set up the way they want.  If you think it’s nonsensical or unrealistic, then don’t use it.

The fact is, it was possible… and should be added.  EVERY CB should be coded to be manipulated… whether YOU want to use them or not!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mhhh... In real life, in 1943-44, while cruising a CAP in my Bf109, I would dive on you, while you were meticulously checking if that switch really worked, or choosing if you will use 2, 4 or 8 guns... You would bring with you all these interesting questions 3 feets into the earth, end of your story. Please, take it easy, only joking... half-joking... but overthinking would clearly mean your death in the real world!!

Edited by ZnarF