Are we supposed to be able to control the number of rockets fired?

S. Low

I haven't found any reference material yet on youtube but some of the rocket pods seem to only fire large bursts of rockets (ub32A24, S-8KOM,            S-8KOP) , then there's one that fires pairs (S-13). 

Am I able to change the number of rockets fired or no? 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

It's done with the burst length switch on the Pilots weapon panel. SHORT / LONG / MEDIUM.

Pretty sure Short = 4, Medium = 8, and Long = 16 rockets per pod. Although I've had 'leftovers' when I thought I was out (UB-32), so there might be some kind of issue. Needs more testing.

18 minutes ago, AvroLanc said:

It's done with the burst length switch on the Pilots weapon panel. SHORT / LONG / MEDIUM.

Pretty sure Short = 4, Medium = 8, and Long = 16 rockets per pod. Although I've had 'leftovers' when I thought I was out (UB-32), so there might be some kind of issue. Needs more testing.

I thought that was just for the 30mm it affects rockets?  

• Like 1

I am also interested in this question. Sometimes I can see a bunch of rockets release  and sometimes not as many. Maybe it's pressure sensitive?🤷🏾‍♂️

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I think the salvo size depends on the missile type/launcher you are using, probably like in the Ka-50. There you could select to fire quarter (short), half(medium) and all (long) rockets in a launcher. But you have to keep the trigger pressed to fire the full salvo. Otherwise it stops earlier. So just tipping the trigger will just launch 1 to 3 pairs, depending on how fast you released it.

53 minutes ago, Wychmaster said:

I think the salvo size depends on the missile type/launcher you are using, probably like in the Ka-50. There you could select to fire quarter (short), half(medium) and all (long) rockets in a launcher. But you have to keep the trigger pressed to fire the full salvo. Otherwise it stops earlier. So just tipping the trigger will just launch 1 to 3 pairs, depending on how fast you released it.

I believe this is sort of the case, but I want to be able to fire just a pair of rockets. This seems impossible because most pods fire something like 6 or 8 at the lowest, and then increasing substantially when you hold weapons release longer.

I'd like to be able to shoot of the pair first to check ranging, then do the full on spam-mode rocket dump. If possible.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

1 hour ago, S. Low said:

I believe this is sort of the case, but I want to be able to fire just a pair of rockets. This seems impossible because most pods fire something like 6 or 8 at the lowest, and then increasing substantially when you hold weapons release longer.

I'd like to be able to shoot of the pair first to check ranging, then do the full on spam-mode rocket dump. If possible.

I've done a very short, quick tap on my pickle on my TM warthog and only rippled off 2-4 rockets on the short burst mode. I'd say try working on the fastest, tightest button press you can muster and go from there

• Like 2

The Oni abides, man✌️

Short tap is where it's at.

What you guys want to do is fire from one side only.  There's a left-center-right rocket switch. If you turn it to a side and touch it off smartly, you'll get two rockets. Great for checking impacts and adjusting accordingly. 

Then you can spam the ever lovin' stuffing out of em. 

I've fallen into alternating left/right sides outright on each pass or engagement.

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

4 hours ago, sublime said:

I thought that was just for the 30mm it affects rockets?  

You are right, the pilot weapon panel Short/Med/Long switch is for the 30mm.

The rocket burst switch Short/Med/Long is in the front seat.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure short/med/long switch from pilot seat changes rocket salvo length, tried it a few days ago. Although I don't know if cannon fire rate switch has an effect too or not.

5 hours ago, S. Low said:

If you want just a couple of rockets fired, you can try using left/both/center switch to only fire from pods on one side of helicopter when you want to minimize the number of rockets fired, then switch back to centre when you want all the boom-boom :).

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

5 hours ago, 26-J39 said:

The pilot short/med/long switch definitely 100% works for rockets. Please go try it. 

It also effects the 30mm and the gun pods. It’s a universal salvo controller.

You can’t just fire a pair of rockets in the Hind, except the S-13’s. 

Short button presses and firing from only one side are good tips.  

12 hours ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

I've done a very short, quick tap on my pickle on my TM warthog and only rippled off 2-4 rockets on the short burst mode. I'd say try working on the fastest, tightest button press you can muster and go from there

Yeah I was using my trigger as weapons release. Guess I should try pickle button then

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

10 hours ago, 26-J39 said:

Ooh I didn't know there was a selector up front thanks

4 hours ago, AvroLanc said:

The pilot short/med/long switch definitely 100% works for rockets. Please go try it. 

I regularly fire just two S8s.   Indeed I often have to fire - correct aim and then spam the trigger to plaster an area?

On 6/28/2021 at 6:02 PM, AvroLanc said:

Ok cool thanks for the tip.   Will go try, Thanks 🙂

On 6/27/2021 at 11:20 PM, AvroLanc said:

On 6/27/2021 at 11:44 PM, pimp said:

I am also interested in this question. Sometimes I can see a bunch of rockets release  and sometimes not as many. Maybe it's pressure sensitive?🤷🏾‍♂️

I just had 2 sessions testing the rockets so far, both with the UB-32 pods. Also noticed different length of bursts, regardless if I just tap the thing or hold it down for up to 5s+. Never had exact amounts of rockets, but the burst length selector did have an impact. Often, they wouldn't shoot at all BTW and I was wondering if I did something wrong, only to see it just working the next approach, but even with the burst length setting untouched, the burst length always would vary a little. Since the rockets aren't being rendered in the pods as per known issues, I never have been able to validate the remaining amount. Certainly there's something still "WIP".

• Thanks 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

1 hour ago, Eldur said:

I just had 2 sessions testing the rockets so far, both with the UB-32 pods. Also noticed different length of bursts, regardless if I just tap the thing or hold it down for up to 5s+. Never had exact amounts of rockets, but the burst length selector did have an impact. Often, they wouldn't shoot at all BTW and I was wondering if I did something wrong, only to see it just working the next approach, but even with the burst length setting untouched, the burst length always would vary a little. Since the rockets aren't being rendered in the pods as per known issues, I never have been able to validate the remaining amount. Certainly there's something still "WIP".

They render after latest patch 🙂

• Like 1

I tried the short/medium/long selector switch with the S-5 and S-8 rockets, and also noticed they affected the number of rockets fired. In long it would fire nearly all my rockets, but would still leave a handful in the tubes even if I held the fire button down the entire time.