Linux port by 2025

bumblebomb

Looks like .86% of this demographic uses Linux

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

so it doesn’t seem to be a very cost effective thing for ED to do. 

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

All very challenging, yes. Still MS won't get that much active platform control from me. Win10 I can uncable from the internet and it will still run everything that works offline, I don't need to tell MS everything about which program I run when and where and all connected to a personal account. It's not acceptable. Now ED won't have leverage here so I rather posted to make th  point and generate awareness. MS better move. It affects businesses and gov't alike. From what I hear they are already in the talks with China and Russia to have versions without the spyway, so maybe there lies hope.

This Windows paranoia stuff is just hilarious… just like when Windows 10 came along. Here we go again 🙄

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 8

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The best you could probably hope for is a semi-officially-supported wrapper release, but the performance of those is always… questionable. On top of the base performance of DCS, it leaves the question of how well it would run at all. I'm getting nasty EVE Online flashbacks here. 😄

As for the input devices, most modern ones are standard HID-compliant game input devices, so they should be supported out of the box. The tricky part is more in the programming software (or the completely software-based interpretation layers of some of the more ancient stuff). All the sensible stuff requires pretty deep access to the USB devices to reprogram the firmware on the controllers, and you'd have to find your own solutions to wrap that up as well in a way that still works.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

On 7/4/2021 at 9:03 PM, SharpeXB said:

This Windows paranoia stuff is just hilarious… just like when Windows 10 came along. Here we go again 🙄

Yep. As for tracking telemetry and invasion of privacy, that's gonna be a ''voter'' issue. Don't vote for corporate suckups and push for the same kind of privacy and consumer laws available in Europe.

-edit

Also, screw Linux.

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

Yep. As for tracking telemetry and invasion of privacy, that's gonna be a ''voter'' issue. Don't vote for corporate suckups and push for the same kind of privacy and consumer laws available in Europe.

-edit

Also, screw Linux.

Well at least my harvested data thinks I’m in the market for private jets and exotic sports cars 😜

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/27/2021 at 5:37 PM, unlikely_spider said:

And do the various peripherals work in Linux; Thrustmaster, CH Products, Virpil, VKB, MFG, etc? VR/TrackIR? Simshaker?

Yes.

I just flew the Huey on Linux for about an hour, using VKB pedals, Warthog throttle and a Brunner joystick.

The Brunner Software unfortunately does not run on Linux, so I can't use FFB and can't access my profiles, but trimming is available through the buttons, so it's ok.

There is currently work on a new HID implementation for Wine, once that's done, maybe I can use the Brunner software under wine, we'll see.

Right now the software will start, but does not recognize the joystick (even though it works).

Everything that's just a normal HID device (which is the case for pretty much everything these days) should work.

TrackIR does work on Linux using linuxtrack. I'm using that with XP11 (which runs natively on Linux). I haven't gotten it working with DCS yet, as there seems to be a problem with the wine parts and linuxtrack unfortunately is unmaintained.

There is a pull request however, which I will try out within the next days.

Apart from that, I don't see a reason why I wouldn't play it on Linux. 😉

VR I haven't tried myself, but over at

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1722

by people claiming to used VR successfully.

Overall, it is a solution, but not a perfect one, since some fiddling is required before you can fly.

And of course nobody knows if it'll stay like this.

Edit: no idea about Simshaker.

Edited by Berniyh
  • Like 1

Linux… 🤣

No benefit whatsoever for ED to port this game onto an OS used by 1% of its customers. 

This is just about the most ridiculous wish list topic I can imagine 😆

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I see one good use case for a *nix port: servers. I'd love to host DCS dedicated server on a cheap, well-behaved networked machine rather than Win-based. The Client - well, I am a Unix guy, but can live with Win for games.

• Like 1

A big reason why the Linux user-base is so small, is because of the lack of game support for the OS.

If games were equally supported by both, those numbers would be looking mighty different.

I personally would have moved to Linux 100% after Windows 7 if I would not need Windows for gaming.

I prefer to have control over my OS, and not have a company decide for me what features I need enabled and which not.

• Like 2
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

3 hours ago, Mud said:

A big reason why the Linux user-base is so small, is because of the lack of game support for the OS.

🐓🥚🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yup, only software is what holding me down from switching to Linux.

Would love to see a DCS Linux port, but for the current user base I don't think ED would bother spending precious manhours...

• Like 1

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ!

Gib full-fi Su-27 or MiG-29 plz!

AMD R7 3700X|32GB DDR4 RAM|Gigabyte RTX2070S Gaming OC|2TB NVMe SDD + 1TB SSD + 2TBB + 1TB HDD|Dell P3421W|Windows 10 Pro x64

TM Warthog|MFG Crosswind|Samsung Odyssey+|TrackIR 5

Modules: Mirage F1|Mi-24P|JF-17|F/A-18C|F-14A/B|F-5E|M-2000C|MiG-21bis|L-39|Yak-52|FC3|Supercarrier || Terrains: Persian Gulf|NTTR|Normandy|Syria

2 hours ago, killkenny1 said:

only software is what holding me down from switching to Linux

Rather an important feature for an OS huh? Being able to run software… 😶

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Rather an important feature for an OS huh? Being able to run software… 😶

Majority of day to day software is there, what I lack is more specialized software like AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc. support.

Gaming too, but there is Proton, it helps to some extent at least.

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ!

AMD R7 3700X|32GB DDR4 RAM|Gigabyte RTX2070S Gaming OC|2TB NVMe SDD + 1TB SSD + 2TBB + 1TB HDD|Dell P3421W|Windows 10 Pro x64

Modules: Mirage F1|Mi-24P|JF-17|F/A-18C|F-14A/B|F-5E|M-2000C|MiG-21bis|L-39|Yak-52|FC3|Supercarrier || Terrains: Persian Gulf|NTTR|Normandy|Syria

11 minutes ago, killkenny1 said:

Majority of day to day software is there, what I lack is more specialized software like AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc. support.

Gaming too, but there is Proton, it helps to some extent at least.

So basically anything worth using. Sorry there just isn’t room in the market for another OS anymore than there is for two video tape formats etc. Customers benefit more from standardization, not from competing formats. That’s just anarchy. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

So basically anything worth using. Sorry there just isn’t room in the market for another OS anymore than there is for two video tape formats etc. Customers benefit more from standardization, not from competing formats. That’s just anarchy. 

Define worth using. Some just use their PC to surf Facebook and watch Netflix all day - Linux can do that. Some people are coding - Linux can do that. 

Standardisation is good, but I wish there was some competition, because MS really lost their way with Windows 8, 10 and 11. 

Edited by killkenny1
  • Like 1

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ!

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

So basically anything worth using. Sorry there just isn’t room in the market for another OS anymore than there is for two video tape formats etc.

“Anything worth using” is just relevant to you and you are irrelevant as a sample. In actual fact, everything you're using at this second relies on multiple OSes and Linux is most likely by far the most common of those.

You understand that there are already multiple OSes right? And the market not only has room for them all, but constantly proves that there are room for more, and that everyone — customers and companies alike — benefit infinitely more from this variation than from monoculture. To suggest otherwise is hopelessly ignorant.

• Like 3

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

My avatar say's it all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir