AGM 154A question

Furiz
Go to solution Solved by Furiz,

19 hours ago, iLOVEwindmills said:

Almost might as well remove the JSOW entirely then if there's no HE warhead. 'Unguided' clusters are hot garbage in DCS, doesn't seem like there's any intention towards making them worthwhile.

ED is aware of fragmentation damage issues and wants to improve them:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

8 hours ago, Ignition said:

Yes, its useless.

The only good weapon now will be the CBU-103.

You mean the CBU-105, the -103 is just the WCMD version of CBU-87.

I've found JSOW A (same dumb bomblets as CBU-87) to be moderately effective against soft targets like SAM sites. Although you need to play with the function height, and accurately target them. Against any kind of armour....not so much. ED needs to look at the splash and fragmentation damage aspect ASAP.

Edited by AvroLanc

8 hours ago, QuiGon said:

ED is aware of fragmentation damage issues and wants to improve them:

ED is aware of that since years as we all know. They tried to fix it but they are still useless.

4 hours ago, AvroLanc said:

You mean the CBU-105, the -103 is just the WCMD version of CBU-87.

I've found JSOW A (same dumb bomblets as CBU-87) to be moderately effective against soft targets like SAM sites. Although you need to play with the function height, and accurately target them. Against any kind of armour....not so much. ED needs to look at the splash and fragmentation damage aspect ASAP.

Yes I meant the sensor fuzed, I always confuse those two.

ED should do the research before posting anything, yes its work in progress but you can't say something and then 2 years later remove it because "the plane we are modeling didn't use it" with the excuse of beta/wip.

I'm seriously considering going back to the F18 or JF17. The removal of the AGM-154C changed a lot for me.

• Like 1

Jesus, the amount of whining is absurd. If you are getting F-16 just for the JSOWs, then something's wrong with your perception of the aircraft. Even more, considering in DCS they are mostly useless if any decent AD network is set. On the other hand, if you are happy to spam JSOWs to kill couple of trucks then.... have fun I guess. Take off, launch it and RTB. Sounds like a lot of fun.

11 minutes ago, Ignition said:

ED is aware of that since years as we all know. They tried to fix it but they are still useless.

The removal of the AGM-154C changed a lot for me.

Yeah, until the CEM are fixed, I've all but written off the AGM-154A as useless. Besides that, I know it's a game but I try not to use weapons that leave large amount of UXO.

21 minutes ago, Vakarian said:

Jesus, the amount of whining is absurd. If you are getting F-16 just for the JSOWs, then something's wrong with your perception of the aircraft. Even more, considering in DCS they are mostly useless if any decent AD network is set. On the other hand, if you are happy to spam JSOWs to kill couple of trucks then.... have fun I guess. Take off, launch it and RTB. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Between the F18, F16 and JF17, the F16 will be the less capable aircraft in terms of weapons, so why I would use the F16 when it has less options than the other two? I like the plane but I have more choices so I don't need to stick with one.

Its not about how many weapons can shoot in one sortie, its about weapon options and the removal of the AGM154C romved one type of mission the airplane can make and it already had less mission options than the other two so its less capable.

Edited by Ignition

55 minutes ago, Vakarian said:

Nice post dude.

Yeah its totally absurd that people are not happy that JSOW is now restricted to a weapon type that just does not function in DCS. Yeah maybe it will be improved 'one day', but people have complained about this for years and years, but maybe now they have an actual excuse to do something about it? I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by iLOVEwindmills

1 hour ago, Ignition said:

... the removal of the AGM154C romved one type of mission the airplane can make and it already had less mission options than the other two so its less capable.

It's a bit disappointing. I had a situation in my Liberation campaign that necessitated taking out a factory when the enemy had air superiority. Even getting close enough for JDAMs was dicey. It would have been much better to hit it with AGM-154C, or heck, a bunch of AGM-154A-1 would do it too.

Hmm... I just had an idea, though. I wonder if the AGM-154A would be effective at offensive counter air against parked aircraft.

4 hours ago, Vakarian said:

It's not just launch and RTB, if you play vs defenseless BMPs that is your problem, be creative with your missions, it will make DCS much more fun. 

And no one is whining,

I simply asked a question if we have 154C removed, do we get 154A and 154A-1 variant or only 154A with cluster bomblets.

• Like 1

You can't complain about ED removing AGM-154C as it's a USN munition. It was never procured by the USAF and it was never fielded on the F-16. You can however complain about ED adding it to the roadmap in the first place instead of doing the minimal amount of research required to realize that the charlie variant was never used by the USAF. Hopefully it wasn't a calculated decision.

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

30 minutes ago, WHOGX5 said:

You can't complain about ED removing AGM-154C as it's a USN munition. It was never procured by the USAF and it was never fielded on the F-16. You can however complain about ED adding it to the roadmap in the first place instead of doing the minimal amount of research required to realize that the charlie variant was never used by the USAF. Hopefully it wasn't a calculated decision.

I never complained, I simply asked

31 minutes ago, Furiz said:

a question if we have 154C removed, do we get 154A and 154A-1 variant or only 154A with cluster bomblets.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ignition said:

The 154A-1 its not a cluster bomb right? Its a 500lb penetrating bomb from what I understand.

That would be a nice weapon.

Yes that's why I asked, I don't know if our variant of the F-16 carried 154A-1 but it doesn't sound logical for the USAF to leave F-16 with a cluster long range weapon only.

Edited by Furiz

No AGM-154A-1 3D model on DCS yet.

Meanwhile:
https://www.dacis.com/budget/budget_pdf/FY09/PROC/N/2230.pdf

The anticipated UXO solution will involve the incorporation of a BLU-111 warhead into the JSOW-A
weapon (AGM-154A-1). Production of the AGM-154A-1 variant was awarded in March 2006 in support of Turkey FMS requirements

That version has available to USAF/ANG?

5 minutes ago, Furiz said:

Yes that's why I asked, I don't know if our variant of the F-16 carried 154A-1 but it doesn't sound logical for the USAF to leave F-16 with a cluster long range weapon only.

The problem is the USAF uses the F15E for strike missions, and we don't have it (yet) and it seems they use the F16 for a support role, in other countries it may be different.

Not having a stand off bomb is really dissapointing for me since I like the F16 but in really complex scenarios as we (our community is around 25+ people) fly every week its necessary to have some stand off since we use combined arms also.

2 hours ago, Ignition said:

I did, but only gained a few nm, about 5nm. Its useful though but its not even close to what a jsow can do.

True, but we work with the weapons we have, not the weapons we wish.

Now I wonder if a low level terrain-masked toss would also work with JDAMs, or if it will require DTOS bombing mode to be implemented on the F-16, which gives pull-up cues.

On 6/27/2021 at 3:03 AM, Furiz said:

With the AGM-54C removed fromt he Viper list, that leaves us with AGM-154A,

will we be getting the A-1 as well, version with a BLU-111/B warhead, or just the A version with BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomblets?

Well the AF never really used the 154A either. They went balls deep on SDB's instead. 

6 minutes ago, SFJackBauer said:

Now I wonder if a low level terrain-masked toss would also work with JDAMs, or if it will require DTOS bombing mode to be implemented on the F-16, which gives pull-up cues.

See. Now this working would be great, mostly cuz Raz could copy paste it to the harrier after IDK how many years.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, Mustang25 said:

And for that matter, are we going to get a damage rework for all the non-SFW CBUs? They might as well be packed with butterfly kisses for all the damage they actually do.

IDK, rockeyes kinda work now for a few months... Not great, not terrible...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).