Question about AI gunner/operator shooting ATGMs in hover?

muamshai

Is it possible to do it? Human as pilot, and AI gunner/operator is aiming ATGMs while helicopter is in hover away from AAA range? Because currently, the reticles of human pilot and AI gunner must be overlapping to fire ATGMs..and this means helicopter is in motion.

I presume this is not the case if gunner/operator is human. Never tried this scenario yet.

This space is available for your advertisement

It is hardware limitation caused by the fact that heli hovers with positive pitch, so missiles are tilted upward in the hover.

There are several ways to shoot from hover, though Petrovich can only execute one of them. The worst one, unfortunately.

By the book, you're supposed to get into hover, find target, and then lover your nose to get target into smaller ring on pilots sight to fire. When missile in the air you can get back into hover. That is the only way to shoot from hover with Petrovich as operator.

With human operator, though, you can execute some "undocumented" launch techniques. One is to turn helicopter towards target in hover, get operator sight up, so it is in small ring of pilots sight, fire missile into the sky, and then lower the sight back on target while missile is flying. That requires some skill, but allows shooting from stable hover. To make it easier you can use x3 magnification, when launching, and change to x10, when sight is back on the target.

Then there's third way, which I only know from other forum users description. There is a switch that opens up diaphragm. It is located somewhere near Observe switch. I'm not sure about exact location. If you turn it on, launch will be possible even when pilot's and operator's sights are not aligned. It is the easiest way to shoot from hover, but, as far as I understand, operator may lose control of missile, if his sight is too far from direction, in which missile is fired.

Edited by VitMax
typo
  • Like 2

A little off topic maybe, so sorry in advance.

Is it normal that when i use the sight and open the  doors, that the controls need some 2 to 4 seconds bevor i can slew the sight?

Edited by Danzig

4 hours ago, Danzig said:

A little off topic maybe, so sorry in advance.

Is it normal that when i use the sight and open the  doors, that the controls need some 2 to 4 seconds bevor i can slew the sight?

Yes, expected behavior.

The Mi-24's rotors are tilted forward several degrees, so it will hover in a "nose-up" attitude. 

This makes it far from optimal to deploy ATGM's from a hover.  

What you CAN do is slow way down as you come off your IP toward the target. This reduces your closure rate with the target, and allows you to get off a second shot if necessary. 

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/