ED, Lean back a moment and be proud of yourself

psycho158

I think its time for me to write a big Thank You from an old Simmer that had BIG Dreams 🙂

Since i was old enough to understand Flight sims and beeing able to hold an Joystick back in the 80s i was strongly fascinated of Flight sims. On the good old C64 things like Flight of the intruder, Gunship and weird Abominations that called themselves flight simulations. Later transitioned to PC games in the 90s i was still fascinated from games like Hind, Novalogics f16/mig29, naturally flanker, lockon and flaming cliffs and the Janes Simulations (longbow 1/2 and F15), Falcon 4.0, and one of my favorites, Enemy Engaged from Razorworks, where you was able to fly Multiplayer in two different Helicopters against each other. The list is massive longer and some sims may be forgotten.

That was the Point i startet to dream about how cool it would be to have a Sim where you can choose from different Airplanes/Helicopters in the same Envoirement to play together or against each other. 

Another thing was the VR thing. Back in the 90s there where some unsuccessful attempts to bring VR to games, but i was on fire about the cool things what could be possible. One of my biggest Dreams of that time was to be able to sit in an VR cockpit and play Simulations.

Yesterday was the day of a massive Flashback i had and i caught myself remembering my Dreams of the 80s/90s. While i was on the ground, sitting in VR in my massive Hind cockpit, flipping switches to get this monster to life, a player driven Huey crossed me while an f18 was lightening his afterburner at the runway for takeoff.

For the most of you a normal Situation. I stopped, leaned back and realised my surroundings. My old big dream was coming to life and i never realised this in the years of playing DCS. Am i the only one thinking this way?

This things many of you Simmers not thinking about how long this road was to this point (35 years for me). Yesterday i realised that and now i write this big "THANK YOU"

I think you created the biggest Milestone in Military Aviation leaving any competitor far behind you. You have my biggest Respect and you find me now bow deeply.

Congratulations and my best wishes for a (hopefully) long and sucessfull future ED.

So take a short brake, lean back and be proud of this epic Achievement you created over the years since DCS started.

Move on.

• Like 40

Hello, I just read this comment on ED & on
the (supposedly) flight simulations that we experienced in the 90s with the equipment of the time and the graphics also of the time but we only knew that and personally I was delighted with that while dreaming of one day of see a real simulation of fighter planes. At the time I was modeling and I dreamed of being able to put a camera in the sun plane or helicopter to be able to pilot it from the cockpit but unfortunately the cameras of the time were too heavy, so I gave up until the day I experienced flight simulator and then the consecration (ED) it was an immense joy to be able to pilot planes or helicopters practically like the real ones
with almost the same sensations to the point of arriving after a long flight to realize that it was (just) a game.
but what a game, so I would say like Psyco158 thanks to you all the ED team for giving us so much joy every time we fly with your sim.🤗👍

• Like 2

Falcon 3.0 veteran here (I still have the fat manual which was an encyclopedia back in the days) and I absolutely share OPs feelings (though without VR).

I had those same feelings in one of the IA Missions for the Huey (Incirlik and Adana Air Tour Syria) when a two ship flight of Vipers took off while I was hovering from the ramp across the airfield.

The immerison - even without VR - can be exceptional sometimes.

So, I second this big Thank You to ED!

Edit:

I want to add - due to the nature of such a forum and a complex software like dcs - the content is often made out of discussing issues, pointing out flaws and sometimes people being frustrated with a annoying bug in there beloved aircraft. That could sometimes lead to the impression that DCS is a buggy mess. Which it isn't  in my opinion. It just shows that people are emotional connected and invested in DCS.

In Germany there is a saying, that roughly translates to "Not nagging is enough praise!" 😄

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Yeah, i have one of those moments just yesterday.

Liberation dynamic campaign with friends, VR, raining, the sky was almost all covered with clouds, i taked off with Viper, climbing at 15º and at the time i passed throught the first layer of clouds and see again the sun was so breathtaking, even i already was flying the 2.7 for months, it was incredible until i reached the IP waypoint and have to go back to work, i was remembering how much time has passed since flying sims like Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator. Something similar happened the i take the Hind out at first and flying low level at Cyprus.

ED must be proud, DCS is mindblowing...

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

All these are exactly my thoughts!
Yeah, if you read through these forums you get a skewed picture, because people here focus on problems, not praise. In part it's the very purpose for the forums (bug/problem reporting etc.).
As Hiob pointed out above, people sometimes go very emotional about the problems EXACTLY because they care. You don't get emotional about dog poo on the lawn (maybe unless it's your lawn and it wasn't your dog, haha). You just shrug and go on with your life. Folks care because the sim is really good, so they want it even better. And better. (And - yes - then better some more... ad infinitum).

I think the fair "test" for DCS is to check it once a year, perhaps on New Year's Eve (preferably before you have your surplus of drinks 😉). For example, watch youtube videos with DCS 1.5, then 2.0, then 2.5.6, now 2.7. Not enough? - see LOMAC, Flanker 2 or Su-27 (the game) - I could point a few differences 😄 You can easily notice what amount of work is put into DCS every year. Now, if you think it takes a little long (or just "too long") to have all these new features implemented, take into kind consideration that ED is not the former MS Aces Studio (5000+ people). They really must be working very hard to achieve all this. To all hard working people I invariably salute!

So, big "thank you" to ED from me, too!

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Ditto to all of the above. Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses.

TP5PVna.jpg

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

ED has made tremendous progress from "Flanker" to today's DCS World and is constantly gaining momentum adding new elements and concepts, expanding environment.

ED should be extremely proud of what they have achieved so far.

220px-Su-27_Flanker_Coverart.jpg

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

If some day ED would withdraw from the buisness there would be a huge gap, they are one and only. There is nothing similar in quality on the market.

Tkank you whole ED team. 

Edited by kseremak
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:27 AM, Hiob said:

....I want to add - due to the nature of such a forum and a complex software like dcs - the content is often made out of discussing issues, pointing out flaws and sometimes people being frustrated with a annoying bug in there beloved aircraft. That could sometimes lead to the impression that DCS is a buggy mess. Which it isn't  in my opinion. It just shows that people are emotional connected and invested in DCS....

Not entirely true. FC3 red planes are somewhat buggy and miss-represented as well as the red SAMs.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:27 AM, Hiob said:

In Germany there is a saying, that roughly translates to "Not nagging is enough praise!" 😄

I can confirm this :D

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

VR Player, fully agree.

I make it a habit after a mission, to land...shut down my plane, open the canopy...and watch other planes land and take off,  sometimes go room scale and get out of my chair and just...enjoy the feeling of being there. It's an amazing sim, and yes...fulfills a life long dream to fly these planes in a way that no sim could ever hope to before now.

• Like 4

Definitely. If I could return to the old Flanker days and look forward 20 years to a time when I’d see ED  not only still in the flightsim business but with the current list of high fidelity modules I’d certainly be very happy. 

The only fly in the ointment is the lack of full fidelity Su25 and Su27 but it is what it is…

• Thanks 1

• ED Team
On 6/26/2021 at 4:56 AM, psycho158 said:

I think its time for me to write a big Thank You from an old Simmer that had BIG Dreams 🙂

Since i was old enough to understand Flight sims and beeing able to hold an Joystick back in the 80s i was strongly fascinated of Flight sims. On the good old C64 things like Flight of the intruder, Gunship and weird Abominations that called themselves flight simulations. Later transitioned to PC games in the 90s i was still fascinated from games like Hind, Novalogics f16/mig29, naturally flanker, lockon and flaming cliffs and the Janes Simulations (longbow 1/2 and F15), Falcon 4.0, and one of my favorites, Enemy Engaged from Razorworks, where you was able to fly Multiplayer in two different Helicopters against each other. The list is massive longer and some sims may be forgotten.

That was the Point i startet to dream about how cool it would be to have a Sim where you can choose from different Airplanes/Helicopters in the same Envoirement to play together or against each other. 

Another thing was the VR thing. Back in the 90s there where some unsuccessful attempts to bring VR to games, but i was on fire about the cool things what could be possible. One of my biggest Dreams of that time was to be able to sit in an VR cockpit and play Simulations.

Yesterday was the day of a massive Flashback i had and i caught myself remembering my Dreams of the 80s/90s. While i was on the ground, sitting in VR in my massive Hind cockpit, flipping switches to get this monster to life, a player driven Huey crossed me while an f18 was lightening his afterburner at the runway for takeoff.

For the most of you a normal Situation. I stopped, leaned back and realised my surroundings. My old big dream was coming to life and i never realised this in the years of playing DCS. Am i the only one thinking this way?

This things many of you Simmers not thinking about how long this road was to this point (35 years for me). Yesterday i realised that and now i write this big "THANK YOU"

I think you created the biggest Milestone in Military Aviation leaving any competitor far behind you. You have my biggest Respect and you find me now bow deeply.

Congratulations and my best wishes for a (hopefully) long and sucessfull future ED.

So take a short brake, lean back and be proud of this epic Achievement you created over the years since DCS started.

Move on.

Thanks for the kind words, as someone that seems like we might be in the same age range I am still in awe everyday how far our hobby has come, I am happy to be a small part of helping keep that dream alive and our hobby nice and strong. Thanks! I have passed this to the team.

• Like 7

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Hear, HEAR!! My sim journey highlights:

Sopwith for monochrome IBM

Microprose F-15 Strike Eagle II 

Falcon 3.0

Hornet 3.0

Hornet Korea

Falcon 4.0

Lomac/FC 1,2,&3

DCS

After Lomac, I never turned back to anything else. DCS is on a completely different level.

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

35 years for me too, I started with  F/A-18 hornet on a 3.5" floppy

I've watched DCS over the years, from afar, and when I looked at the state of play recently, DCS had come so far and become so awesome, I had to do something about it.

I'm a Mac fanboy - Windows hurts my head, but needs must.

I can't afford a Super-PC so I found an old Mac, that was pretty super in it's day and I'm running DCS inside Win 10, inside BootCamp, inside OSX.

And it's stellar!

Having been in I.T. and I.S. over the years, I know how servicing users, who have little or no understanding, of the technical challenges in software and hardware, can be a thankless task. And we're not allowed to put them out of their misery. When I saw this thread, I had to add my 10 cents worth.

Such is the brilliance of this project, I've done what I can and I've  purchased a stack of great Mods and Terrains and I'm quietly and happily learning, learning, learning.

So a huge thank you from me and keep up the good work.

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB RAM - Radeon RX 590

Mac OS X 10.15 - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - 2 x SSD 1TB - T16000M HOTAS - DCS World & Open Beta - Operator still a newbie

I can help but add my vote of thanks to ED here.
Dcs is oftentimes the only incentive to turn my system on after the day's work.
This sandbox of military aircraft that runs through the world war period to modern times is a brilliant concept. The ability to take your pick from these plethora of aircraft and zoom into the sky(2.7 cloud even better) is just blissful.

The history of flightsim like comrades here is long and passionate for me too. The journey started for me in 2000 and since that fire was lit, it has known no exhaustion.

Just trying to imagine all those many goods old flightsims that are stunted now and to think that dcs was among them. Hmmmm

Grateful that Ed held onto the baton strong and racing on gallantly in this modern times.

The road to good success is scarcely smooth. Bugs, long period in early access, etc. I will without a hint of doubt take all that dcs world is now instead of being one of the many great sims that gave us so much pleasure but lost their engines in flight.

To add to all these, ED gave me the chance to do all these in VR. How cool is that!

My salute to them is steadfast and I am keeping the faith for a better dcs world looking forward.

Wishing ED crew the best in keeping this flag flying

i5 7600k, GTX 1060 6g, 32g Ram, Samsung Odyssey plus VR, Andre's Jetseat, Warthog Joystick, TWS Throttle

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset