Help! Shore take off and damage flaps

2 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

My bad, I use the knob on the left of my T16KM throttle as the flap control, big mistake. Now I use 2 switches, one for full up and the other full down...

Flap lever on Virpil throttle is perfect axis for it. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

On 6/27/2021 at 4:22 PM, Golo said:

Just a note here. As I understand it from natops manual, AUX flaps will extend to full down position with just 5° deflection of FLAP handle from up position, not once FLAP handle is full down. So make sure your FLAP handle is ALL the way up when you raise flaps after T/O. Otherwise you might think you have flaps up, but in fact you might have AUX flaps still down and risk damaging them.

I think there was a circuit breaker that when pulled out would disable the AUX flaps from dropping, so only the main ones will respond to lever movements. No idea if this was actually true or if HB have implemented it. Can't even recall where i've read it. Maybe it was these forums? But in my old age i've grown senile.....

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

4 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

I think there was a circuit breaker that when pulled out would disable the AUX flaps from dropping, so only the main ones will respond to lever movements. No idea if this was actually true or if HB have implemented it. Can't even recall where i've read it. Maybe it was these forums? But in my old age i've grown senile.....

Yes Im pretty sure there was such CB for AUX flaps, Im also sure its not modeled. Only CB I know that is modeled is mid compressor bypass CB for TF-30s in F-14A.  

4 hours ago, Golo said:

Yes Im pretty sure there was such CB for AUX flaps, Im also sure its not modeled. Only CB I know that is modeled is mid compressor bypass CB for TF-30s in F-14A.  

Ah, good to know i wasn't hallucinating! 😄 Thanks for that info mate. 🙂

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 6/27/2021 at 11:39 PM, VFGiPJP said:

My bad, I use the knob on the left of my T16KM throttle as the flap control, big mistake.

Why? Your mistake was how you were using the controls/flaps - not setting them like that. I have flaps set as axis on the base of the T16000M stick (that mini-throttle slider). Any axis is good, just remember to position it correctly.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Cause I think it would be better just to do it on and off, this is less likely to have the flaps get stuck.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Cause I think it would be better just to do it on and off, this is less likely to have the flaps get stuck.

Yeah that's Hornet style and makes sense,  though not how the Tomcat actually operated,  though not a big deal if you don't care about trying to emulate that as much as possible and for which an axis is ideal.  HB put binding support for both ways. 

Edited by Uxi
  • Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

6 hours ago, sLYFa said:

IRL the flap handle is actually a switch, its either full down or full up (plus emergency up which is not modelled) 

Last time we had this discussion it was explained (probably by @Victory205) that the lever can be left in any position inbetween. Only its function is like a switch.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Last time we had this discussion it was explained (probably by @Victory205) that the lever can be left in any position inbetween. Only its function is like a switch.

Oh, that is the answer to my question I never posted. As the lever in the cockpit seems to be, well, a lever, I was thinking that you could do incremental settings of the flaps depending on the position and I was "shocked" heatblur did not model it that way.

10 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Oh, that is the answer to my question I never posted. As the lever in the cockpit seems to be, well, a lever, I was thinking that you could do incremental settings of the flaps depending on the position and I was "shocked" heatblur did not model it that way.

The axis binding lets you stop part way,  at least in the maneuver flap range.  I do that every cold start. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Hmm, OK.

Would it do any good to bind an axis besides realism?

Currently I got it bound to my warthog flap switch with full up and down. Maneuver flaps are on the stick.

Would one use "half" flaps and if so, under which circumstances?