Help! Shore take off and damage flaps

It sounds very stupid but I manage to damage the flaps many times when I lower them during take off. Question is: should I even lower them in the first place? If so, how can I avoid damaging them?  Thanks in advanced.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

You can use full flaps for takeoff no problem, just make sure to get them moving when passing 180kts. When flying the B - mil. power takeoff only.

It wasn't done for airfield takeoffs. Carrier takeoffs, they were thrown up in the clearing turn for CASE I conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

Obviously me being stupid.  Thanks guys.

What is the difference between maneuver flaps and the actual flaps?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

The range of allowed deflection.

Maneuver flaps are controlled via the DLC forward and aft commands.(when DLC is not used)
Landing flaps use the flap lever outboard of the throttle.

The range of motion of the maneuver flaps is shown on the flaps indicator as the small white arc.

Mobius708

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BreaKKer said:

It wasn't done for airfield takeoffs. Carrier takeoffs, they were thrown up in the clearing turn for CASE I conditions.

Not true at all. It was absolutely done, especially with any noteable payload on the jet. 

Just one example:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

For some reason that I can’t correct on a damn iPhone, my response got FUBARd in a way beyond my control, please ignore this post.

Edited by G.J.S
  • Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

6 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Also, maneuver flaps will retract on their own when certain alpha and/or airspeed are reached.

• Thanks 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Doesn't the in game tutorial say to lower the flaps?

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

It might also be worth nothing that changing direction when the flaps are moving breaks them very easily.

So, say, if you press the button to retract the flaps and then, like, press it a couple more times to check it is working the flaps will start to raise, then reverse direction and start to lower again and lock in place.

If you press the button/flip the lever *once* as soon as you take off and then forget about them until it is time to land you shouldn't have any problems.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Callsign JoNay:

Not the tutorial I played. It suggested maneuver flaps for land based takeoffs, and flaps for CV.

IIRC, the instructor in that training mission says something like "we are light today, so maneuver flaps will be sufficient" (paraphrasing). I do not recall him to specifically point out that you never use full flaps for land takeoffs.

Edited by Jayhawk1971
edited to clarify full flaps
  • Like 3

I doubt there is anything inherent in taking off with the flaps down that will break them. You catapult off the boat with them down constantly, and some of the missions say the bolter procedure is to keep flaps and gear down then entire circuit.

But I do get the impression Heatblur's Subject Matter Experts (ie, former Tomcat pilots etc.) very much frown on the idea of using the flaps for anything other than taking off and landing, so they made them... *realistically* fragile.

They are more fragile than the landing gear, so you need to raise them *before* the undercarriage, and you *need* to make sure you are only pressing the flap retract button once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Again, I don't know who on earth pulled the idea out of their butt that FULL AUX FLAP takeoffs aren't a thing ashore. Ask any SME or literally reference the A/B/D NATOPS. Based on weight and conditions you can do a flaps UP, MANEUVER FLAP or FULL FLAP takeoff. 

Unbenannt.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could you explain what the FULL AUX FLAP position is supposed to be? There is no extra position to drive the aux flaps further down. They come down automatically with the flap handle and only have two positions (up or down).

Anyway, flaps down (i.e. main flaps plus aux flaps) takeoffs are legit and recommended with high payload and/or short runways.

• Like 3

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

23 minutes ago, sLYFa said:

Could you explain what the FULL AUX FLAP position is supposed to be? There is no extra position to drive the aux flaps further down. They come down automatically with the flap handle and only have two positions (up or down).

Anyway, flaps down (i.e. main flaps plus aux flaps) takeoffs are legit and recommended with high payload and/or short runways.

It's the FLAP handle full down, nothing more. The AUX FLAPS only have two positions anyway.

• Like 1

If flaps can be used during shore takeoff and that I broke them, when should I use then and when should I keep then up?

4 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

If flaps can be used during shore takeoff and that I broke them, when should I use then and when should I keep then up?

Again, follow the manual. Take off normally, rotate by your computed takeoff speed, on liftoff and with a positive rate raise the gear and raise the flaps passing 180kts. There really isn't much to it and in the two years flying the Tomcat in DCS I have not managed to jam them on a shore takeoff, ever. My assumption is you just keep them down for too long and bust Vfe.

• Thanks 1

vor 5 Minuten schrieb VFGiPJP:

Your flaps should be fully retracted before you reach 225 KIAS, and gear before you reach 280 KIAS. Use them depending on your takeoff weight and runway length. 

• Thanks 2

(and, again, don't operate the flap lever repeatedly in quick succession 🙂 

So. What can break your flaps on a DCS Heatblur F-14 are

1:- going too fast (more than about 225 knots)

2:- making any sort of manoeuvre

3:- reversing the direction of flap travel while they are moving

Don't do any of those and you should be golden!)

Edited by Dezmond
  • Thanks 1

Just a note here. As I understand it from natops manual, AUX flaps will extend to full down position with just 5° deflection of FLAP handle from up position, not once FLAP handle is full down. So make sure your FLAP handle is ALL the way up when you raise flaps after T/O. Otherwise you might think you have flaps up, but in fact you might have AUX flaps still down and risk damaging them.

Just now, Golo said:

Just a note here. As I understand it from natops manual, AUX flaps will extend to full down position with just 5° deflection of FLAP handle from up position, not once FLAP handle is full down. So make sure your FLAP handle is ALL the way up when you raise flaps after T/O. Otherwise you might think you have flaps up, but in fact you might have AUX flaps still down and risk damaging them.

This is true, but with either a keybind of axis this should not be a concern. 

My bad, I use the knob on the left of my T16KM throttle as the flap control, big mistake. Now I use 2 switches, one for full up and the other full down...

9 hours ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

IIRC, the instructor in that training mission says something like "we are light today, so maneuver flaps will be sufficient" (paraphrasing). I do not recall him to specifically point out that you never use full flaps for land takeoffs.

Ah, you are correct. The instructor says you can use full flaps if desired, but maneuver flaps should be good enough for that particular training mission.